Propane tank gauge - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2021, 07:56 AM   #61

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Auto-changeover on a pair of propane tanks is the cat's meow as far as I'm concerned; ripping from Treasure of the Sierra Madre .... we don't need no stinkin' gauges
I, on the other hand despise and do not use the auto-changeover as it is intended to be used. I keep the tank not in use valved off. I would much rather be inconvenienced by running out of propane in one tank which tells me it need to be filled. It takes less than 5 minutes to switch over to the other tank. Using the auto changeover could result in totally running out of propane and not realizing that the first tank is empty unless you constantly check. Works better for me. YMMV
Old 01-13-2021, 08:10 AM   #62

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too am very much in support of using the changeover valve as intended. Living where we see a lot of nighttime cold temperatures and the furnace running a fair bit, I very much dislike running outside in the middle of the night to swap tanks, heck even midday. Plus, we mostly boondock so do go through more propane because of that.

Monitoring tanks to see if you need to replace one is no problem at all, especially in the 5.0TA. I just check once every day or two once I know I have likely used a bunch of the first tank. Still, installing a good metering system would be kinda cool too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:06 PM   #63

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Yes, it’s not difficult to keep the tanks monitored while using the auto-changeover and have never had an issue using it in auto.
If you do the only one tank on, there is an un-written rule that you will be outside at 2 am manually swapping the tank. I personally experienced this rule and want no part of middle of the night tank swaps any longer.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:49 PM   #64
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The best part of having an accurate propane gauge is when you have a lot of time between trips. Muscling out the tanks from the hatch in a 5.0 to weigh the tanks is more than a PITA. Maybe I have a short memory, but when going out camping and knowing I'll use the stove and run the furnace a lot, it's reassuring knowing how much propane is in the tanks.

I bought two sensors and worth the price to me: https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-1.../dp/B01C5RQI74
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:44 PM   #65

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The best part of having an accurate propane gauge is when you have a lot of time between trips. Muscling out the tanks from the hatch in a 5.0 to weigh the tanks is more than a PITA. Maybe I have a short memory, but when going out camping and knowing I'll use the stove and run the furnace a lot, it's reassuring knowing how much propane is in the tanks.

I bought two sensors and worth the price to me: https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-1.../dp/B01C5RQI74
That all makes great sense, IMO, and having now watched a this random YouTube (I started a ~3 minutes) seems to be a nifty device for getting a decent ballpark LP status, auto-changeover notwithstanding.

Thanks, Donna!
Old 01-13-2021, 02:27 PM   #66

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Mirror on the Wall

Hope no one has already posted this one! (I learned about it on this Forum)
My propane checker: glue a small plastic mirror inside the upper inside wall of the propane tank cover facing back toward the gauge readout.
Every day or two, open the hinged cover and, maybe using a flashlight, take a gander.

Jonathan

drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:35 PM   #67

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
The AP/Mopeka ultrasonic on that list also legitimately works, though I hear it can be a bit finicky in terms of placement/shimming. Expensive and needs batteries, too, but better an expensive gauge that works than one that's cheap but worthless.
The Mopeka works. I did not have any issues installing them on the bottom of the propane tanks. I use the app in order to determine the amount of fuel left in each tank. The sensors monitor the battery levels, signal strength, and % of fuel left in each tank. That said, the monitor is simply wall hanging art. It is useless. I could never get it to work. If you can order just the two sensors that is what I would recommend. Then download the app.
Attached Thumbnails
Monitor.jpg  
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:44 AM   #68

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Monitoring tanks to see if you need to replace one is no problem at all, especially in the 5.0TA. I just check once every day or two once I know I have likely used a bunch of the first tank. Still, installing a good metering system would be kinda cool too.
Jim, as I stated previously, I do not and probably never will use the auto changeover as intended. And while I agree that monitoring tanks to see if you need to replace one is no problem at all by checking them (I did replace my tanks with those that have float controlled valves (because my two tanks for the grill at home were over 10 years old and very rusty and I had to buy two new tanks anyway). As in real estate, what I would say is location, location, location. You and I live and camp for the most part in two different climates. The furnace in my 2015 trailer has been used exactly two times in five years, once all night and once for 15 or 20 minutes. If I were in your shoes, using a lot of propane to heat and not wanting to go out in the cold to switch the tanks manually, I would probably be more inclined to make a habit of checking the tanks once or twice a day. But when you are not using a lot of propane to heat, checking them, as easy as it may be, does not become a habitual action and quite frankly, I forget to check them very often. If I were to wake up and found my trailer freezing cold at 3:00 AM, I too would likely be motivated to make checking them part of the daily routine. But in my case, forgetfulness can lead to discovering both tanks are empty. And since I have no desire to camp when I cannot be comfortable outside in a T-shirt or at most a sweatshirt, high propane use is not in my conceivable future. Consequently, when the stove will not light or the refrigerator doesn’t fire up, I get a reminder to check the fill level of the tank that is valved on, and get it filled so that I always have one full tank in reserve. On the other hand, I do remember to check my supply of coffee beans every single day!
Old 01-14-2021, 08:05 AM   #69

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Costco 20 lb. tank with gauge

I replaced my nearly new standard tanks with two from Costco that have a built-in gauge. They have been for sale in the store only, not Costco.com. Cost is less than $30. There's a short youtube video showing them, if you want to see them.

I previously had an external gauge like Glenn pictured in Post #6. That gauge was relegated to the home propane grill and eventually restricted flow to the point that I threw it away. The built-in Costco ones seem to flow fine, and I have been using for about five years. The standard tanks are now spares and used for a fire pit or grill.

For those not yet familiar with tank dates, they expire and can't be filled by reputable dealers after 12 years in the U.S., 10 in Canada.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:53 AM   #70

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Rare is the time we camp without running a furnace. We love camping in fall, winter and spring. Last night was downright balmy at Lake Murray State Park, OK with a low of only 50 degrees.

One of the problems with being dyslexic is routine. Most routines are easy. Checking the LP tanks is not one of them for me. I don't mind getting up in the middle of the night to manually switch to the other tank. It's all about attitude! I'm usually up for an hour or tow anyway. I can definitely see where it would bother others to go out in the cold at night.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-14-2021, 01:25 PM   #71
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
when my tanks are empty, the Mopeka's read around 15-17% in each tank. I've confirmed this over several empty/refill cycles.
John in Santa Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:42 PM   #72

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
I replaced my nearly new standard tanks with two from Costco that have a built-in gauge.
I previously had an external gauge like Glenn pictured in Post #6. That gauge was relegated to the home propane grill and eventually restricted flow to the point that I threw it away. The built-in Costco ones seem to flow fine....
Those gauges in the tanks from Costco don't interfere with flow because they just connect to the float of the OPD (overfill prevention device), so they don't change the valve itself at all. They're actual level gauges, rather than pressure gauges.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:04 PM   #73

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I always use the auto change over. I like the looks of the costco tanks. I would not mind getting a set of them
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:31 PM   #74

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The vertical 20-pound propane tanks with built-in level gauges are made by both Manchester (Sureflame) and Worthington, and available under various brand names (including Flame King and U-Haul). They all work the same way.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:07 PM   #75

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
Hope no one has already posted this one! (I learned about it on this Forum)
My propane checker: glue a small plastic mirror inside the upper inside wall of the propane tank cover facing back toward the gauge readout.
Every day or two, open the hinged cover and, maybe using a flashlight, take a gander.

Jonathan

I use a small mechanics mirror attached to a telescopic handle. Open the small opening on top of the tank cover and insert the mirror. You can then see if the regulator has switched over. Easier than lifting off the cover.
The idea of inserting a mirror inside the tank cover is even simpler, but I have the telescopic mirror and like playing around with it with my grandkids.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:15 PM   #76

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Propane tanks with a built-in gauge, like Costco's, make sense to me. However I've always assumed finding a refill place while on the road could be a problem. Am I wrong? Thanks. -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:31 PM   #77

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’ve never had a problem finding a refill place where I’ve been. I have a number of good 20lb. tanks. We don’t go out for real long periods of time, maybe 3 weeks tops. So before we hit the road I make sure both of my tanks are full. That usually does it for us. However, I also have the 11 lb tank in the front box that I use on my propane campfire or Weber Q or Camp Chef Everest. I’ve never run it dry. So for how we camp, I open both 20 lb tanks knowing I could install the 11 for the furnace in an emergency. When I get ready to winterize, I make sure all three of Escape tanks are full, installed, checked for leaks and shut off. The partials in the 20 pounders I use on my home grill, weed burner, 60,000 btu cooker etc. This works for me.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-15-2021, 08:44 PM   #78

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnest View Post
Propane tanks with a built-in gauge, like Costco's, make sense to me. However I've always assumed finding a refill place while on the road could be a problem. Am I wrong? Thanks. -Tom
The only time I had a problem refilling my propane tanks was 30 days after I picked up my Escape 17. I was in Desert View campground at the Grand Canyon (a dry campground) on May 18, it was 34°F and snowing. Since the trailer was new & I had never used a system with auto changeover, I expected a more obvious indication that the system was on the second tank. No furnace, no stove, and no refrigerator. The nearest propane was 35 miles away in Tusayan at $5.00 per gallon.

With experience, I have no problem "guessing" when it is time to start checking on the second tank. I, like many others use a mechanic's inspection mirror to check. I haven't run out of propane in the 10 years since!

As to finding propane, unless you are in the middle of nowhere (or the Grand Canyon), most ACE Hardware, Tractor Supply & U-Haul stores refill tanks. The AllStays camp & RV app shows propane locations. I have always managed to find a refill (and not a tank exchange) within a day or two when traveling.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:46 PM   #79

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
actually I believe its easier to find places on the road to refill. truck stops. tractor supply stores,gas company's,camp sites and many more. unless you somewhere very remote I don't think you have a problem. also for the low cost of the cosco tank if you had to exchange it it would not be the end of the world. I never exchange mine.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:01 PM   #80

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’m not sure about the cost of propane throughout the country but I do know this. In our area it’s 17 to 20 dollars to fill a 20 lb tank. On my home 500 gallon tank it was $.97 a gallon last fall. Delivered. And the 20
Lb. tank is about 4.5 gallons. Less than $4.50 worth of
Propane. So yes there’s a little gouging factor here as I see it. I have to routinely drive about 25 miles round trip to get a tank filled. I rarely make a special trip. That’s why I keep spares in my shed. I’ve filled tanks in Oregon, Wyoming, and several other eastern states but only in British Columbia in Canada. Never paid more than I do routinely at home sweet home.
But the little 11 lb. tank saves me from the real gouging of the one pounders. I have considerable respect for Natural Gas, gasoline, and propane and do not try to refill the one pounders. Safety first, it’s only money. I can make more.
Iowa Dave