2020 Escape 19 build discussion - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2020, 12:04 PM   #101

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
I actually prefer the unscreened and undivided standard framed back window.
Thanks for the idea though.
I've actually toured one of your previous campers before, you had sold it to Craig and Josie.
One thing about the 19 vs the 17B, I should have more room for some of that Yuengling Dark Porter next time we go to PA. Can't get it here in GA.
Yes, Escape BlackJack which they renamed. The 13th new E21 made in late November 2013 but labeled as 2014 #3.....This last rally in 2019 I believe 2 of my prior units were present, a 2016 E19 and 2014 E21.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:09 PM   #102
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
[QUOTE=Radar1;344661]We are just about ready to finish our build sheet for our Escape 19...

Hi Radar1, Congrats on your upcoming Escape 19! How exciting!! I'm sure you will enjoy it very much as we do ours. The only thing I don't see on your list is the EMS/surge protector system, which I highly recommend. You say you may not plan to 'bring' electronics but the EMS system is not only for the electronics that you bring along. It helps to protect ALL your 'on board' electronics like your trailer's Air Conditioner, Fridge, etc from faulty power outlets.

We went to a campground a few months ago and when we plugged in, it cycled on just fine but when we went to use the microwave or AC our whole electrical system cut off. We initially thought it was a blown fuse or something but come to find out it was our EMS system that recognized that we were not getting enough volts to power the microwave, AC, and fridge. (It was an old cg that needs to upgrade their system...but we had no idea until our EMS kicked in.) Had we not had our EMS system, we would've run the risk of damaging our AC, etc. In fact, that campground's host, found out the hard way.... he had to replace his fridge and some other appliances to the tune of $2000 because he did NOT have an EMS system. He has one now....

Our Escape's sales person talked us into their EMS system and we are so glad that she did. It not only protects from surges, but it also cycles through a whole list of errors that can detect problems even before it will connect to shore power. Now that's a great one time insurance policy! Hope this helps and again, congrats on your new Escape 19! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #103

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
At least when they are all open they will look similar, hinged at the top.
I like the framed bath window in the illustration, unfortunately the new framed bath window is a sideways slider. They show it in the recent videos.
I like the standard back window that doesn't open, no screen, and no divider. We have never opened the one on our Scamp in 10 years (we actually had to clamp it closed since it would wiggle open sometimes) and just use the side windows for ventilation.
Yes, I asked about the old style kitchen / bathroom windows in one of the videos. It's where Karl says that the shipment of old old style framed windows were wonky, so they stopped using that supplier. I like that style too, because it had an awning bottom and could be left cracked without worrying about rain. My wife pointed out that with the sliding window cracked being in the wet bath, what little rain that might get in wouldn't matter.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #104

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I look into the double step, i assumed i need it with high lift axle, but after getting the measurements i decided to get the one step.

With the high lift axle installed, the double step will measure as follows: Bottom step to ground 4 ½”, Bottom step to top step 7” and Top step to threshold 9

the single step
With the high lift axle installed the ground to step height will be 15”. The step to door way measurement is 8”.

I thinking of carry a step to get a more even step

Your measurements aren't quite correct? The 2-step adds up to 20.5" above grade, while the single step adds up to 23"...
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:36 PM   #105

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Yes, I asked about the old style kitchen / bathroom windows in one of the videos. It's where Karl says that the shipment of old old style framed windows were wonky, so they stopped using that supplier. I like that style too, because it had an awning bottom and could be left cracked without worrying about rain. My wife pointed out that with the sliding window cracked being in the wet bath, what little rain that might get in wouldn't matter.
Yes, the framed kitchen and bath windows that opened outwards at the bottom would have been nice but since they don't use that style anymore I like the awning style frameless, especially in the bathroom. In our Scamp we always have our awning style window and the covered fan open for airflow when parked in the driveway, rain or shine.
My wife likes the bath window open a little when showering, but that was not going to happen with the slider!
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:43 PM   #106

[QUOTE=Bea;344698]
Quote:
We are just about ready to finish our build sheet for our Escape 19...

Hi Radar1, Congrats on your upcoming Escape 19! How exciting!! I'm sure you will enjoy it very much as we do ours. The only thing I don't see on your list is the EMS/surge protector system, which I highly recommend. You say you may not plan to 'bring' electronics but the EMS system is not only for the electronics that you bring along. It helps to protect ALL your 'on board' electronics like your trailer's Air Conditioner, Fridge, etc from faulty power outlets.

We went to a campground a few months ago and when we plugged in, it cycled on just fine but when we went to use the microwave or AC our whole electrical system cut off. We initially thought it was a blown fuse or something but come to find out it was our EMS system that recognized that we were not getting enough volts to power the microwave, AC, and fridge. (It was an old cg that needs to upgrade their system...but we had no idea until our EMS kicked in.) Had we not had our EMS system, we would've run the risk of damaging our AC, etc. In fact, that campground's host, found out the hard way.... he had to replace his fridge and some other appliances to the tune of $2000 because he did NOT have an EMS system. He has one now....

Our Escape's sales person talked us into their EMS system and we are so glad that she did. It not only protects from surges, but it also cycles through a whole list of errors that can detect problems even before it will connect to shore power. Now that's a great one time insurance policy! Hope this helps and again, congrats on your new Escape 19! -Bea
Yes, definitely getting the EMS, except that I will use our portable protector for now, and add the EMS and display at my desired location once we have the camper in hand. Our entire neighborhood went through a power drop yesterday and a lot of things went wonky, I might need to add an EMS to the house!
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:28 PM   #107

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
My brother has a whole house EMS on his supply as he lives in an older section of town which happens to be prone to some voltage drops in summer. The strange thing is that you can see and hear the coal fired power plant from his house. I had a couple drops at my house about 10 years ago but they put a biggger new substation over the hill about a quarter mile from us and no more brownouts, outages or electric problems. But I definitely believe in the EMS For the trailer and have Experienced low voltage and bad service boxes more than once.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-20-2020, 08:30 PM   #108

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
Your measurements aren't quite correct? The 2-step adds up to 20.5" above grade, while the single step adds up to 23"...

A classic 17B with high lift.
Attached Thumbnails
step.jpg  
Old 07-20-2020, 10:41 PM   #109

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
EMS:
When we chose to have the permanently installed Progressive Industries (P.I.) EMS in our 2015 Escape, ETI's option cost for it was about $260, the same price as P.I.'s retail price, so it was a no-brainer decision.
I see that currently P.I.'s price is about the same for the EMS-HW30C, but ETI's installed price is $400. (currently about $300 US Dollars).
So, a self-install could be a cheaper option.

I certainly would not do without it, based on a small number of RV campsites we've used that had power/voltage or other electrical issues, that the EMS protected us from.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:39 PM   #110

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

I went with the frameless on the driver's side only since they would all match (the escape window is already frameless and we prefer the frameless bath window over the half-slider). That way everything on each side will match each other in looks.
Well, good try. The door window is frameless. Don't like the frameless look especially with my framed windows but that's the way it is.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:48 PM   #111
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
EMS Display Location

As much as we're fans of the EMS system, we must admit, we're not fans of the location ETI chooses to install the digital units...under the dinette. Even though we tried taping the on-off button in place, it still got accidentally bumped off to bypass mode so many times...

We've seen some mods here where some have created neat protectors over the on/off button..but we decided to simply relocate the display unit to under/inside the bench, on a block of wood, facing up. I also glued a square piece of 'thin plastic mirror' on the wood bench, just above the display. Now we can see the display unit when we lift open the seat on the inside or from the outside through the compartment door, by looking at the mirror...and no more accidentally bumping it off!

If we were getting a new trailer today, we would still definitely get the EMS system but ask if the display unit could be placed high up somewhere so it doesn't get accidentally bumped off by feet/legs under the dinette. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:06 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Well, good try. The door window is frameless. Don't like the frameless look especially with my framed windows but that's the way it is.

Ron
I thought the door window had a frame? At least there will be an awning on the passenger side over the open sliding windows, and on my driver's side without the awning, all windows will now be awning style (even if the emergency window has a frame) and sort of look similar when opened.
Attached Thumbnails
Escape 19 image.JPG  
Old 07-21-2020, 03:31 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
Quote:
I thought the door window had a frame? At least there will be an awning on the passenger side over the open sliding windows, and on my driver's side without the awning, all windows will now be awning style (even if the emergency window has a frame) and sort of look similar when opened.
If possible I'm going to replace the door window with a Thin Shade Complete Window Kit for RV Entry Doors

It is a framed window on the exterior. I also like the idea of a see through door window, and having a privacy and light shade.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #114

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post

Thats what escape told me when I emailed. This will not be the first measurements that they got wrong.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:13 PM   #115

Quote:
If possible I'm going to replace the door window with a Thin Shade Complete Window Kit for RV Entry Doors

It is a framed window on the exterior. I also like the idea of a see through door window, and having a privacy and light shade.

We won't be too far from you in late January, maybe we can stop by and see what it looks like. We have reservations at Oscar Scherer state park for a week, and then heading over to Sebring for the Scamp Camp.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:20 PM   #116

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Unfortunately these products will not work as you have a screen door the does not allow access to the door window area to operate the shade, unless of course you can open and closer the door. but that takes away the convenience.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Unfortunately these products will not work as you have a screen door the does not allow access to the door window area to operate the shade, unless of course you can open and closer the door. but that takes away the convenience.
I know that is a downside. I figure shade open during the day and closed at night, means only having to go outside of the screen door twice a day.

Once we get used to it, it should be second nature, open the shade when we go out in the morning, and close the shade when we come in at night.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #118

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Once we get used to it, it should be second nature, open the shade when we go out in the morning, and close the shade when we come in at night.

So if somebody knocks on the door at night, you have to go out to open the shade, so you can see who it is, through the window.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:39 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
So if somebody knocks on the door at night, you have to go out to open the shade, so you can see who it is, through the window.
Nope we'll look out the kitchen window, just like we would have to do with stock frosted door window day or night.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:54 PM   #120

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Thats what escape told me when I emailed. This will not be the first measurements that they got wrong.

Hmmm...coincidentally that 2.5" diff is about the high lift rise...maybe they measured...oh never mind...I'll just keep the single step with my high lift and deal with it via a stepstool if need be. There, that's one less thing to have rattling around in my head.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
introduction