Recommend any changes on this 21NE? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2020, 11:54 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Recommend any changes on this 21NE?

First time post. Let me know if I need to put this someplace else or make other changes.

A few initial questions:
  • Are there any of secret options we should get?
  • We are conflicted on the manual vs powered awning. Heard the manual awning is pretty easy to use and it is more adjustable. Thoughts?
  • What is the Zamp Solar Port wired to Regulator? Do we need it with the options below?
  • On the 21NE there is no choice of table layout, is that right?
  • Any reason to raise the dinette 3"?

Here is the build. What would you recommend changing? Anything critical missing?
  • Two-Way Hot Water Tank (Propane & 120V)
  • Foot Flush Toilet
  • Toilet Shut Off Valve
  • Exterior Shower
  • Dual 6V Batteries (225 amp hrs)
  • Inverter 1500W (Includes transfer switch and all outlets- Requires Dual 6V Batteries)
  • 190W Solar Panel with Charge Controller
  • Surge Protector
  • Removable Power Cord
  • Air Conditioner with Digital Thermostat (11,000 BTU Dometic)
  • Wireless Backup Camera
  • Stereo/DVD Player with Four Speakers
  • TV/Cable Ready with 120V Outlet
  • Frameless Thermal Windows
  • Framed Opening Thermal Window in Bathroom
  • Power Tongue Jack
  • Exterior Access Hatch
  • Exterior Propane Quick Connect with 12' Propane Hose and Adapter
  • Storage Box (Front of Trailer)
  • Full Wrap on Cushions (Standard Fabric)
  • LED Captains Reading Lamps (CDN) 2 $40.00 $80.00
  • Shelves in Wardrobe Closet (CDN) 2 $75.00 $150.00
Total CAD$ 44,155.00
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'll give you my opinion, FWIW. Secret options are basically something not listed but wanted. I like the power awning and with awning windows a must. Zamp is for adding additional solar panels, like portable units. Table is "U" in the front. Some like the raised to give them better view out front. No microwave, drop the inverter, save your $$$. Exterior hatch, I'd get at least one under front dinette section and add a door to end of seat by door. Get two for the bed. Get 2 showers, each side with one by the door for washing dishes outside. Lower the passenger side light to below the belly band, get the optional LED awning light(it is adjustable), get extra light for front, get amber lenses for all exterior lights(3). The light movement and lens change maybe n/c?
Old 05-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
[*] On the 21NE there is no choice of table layout, is that right?
Crash - you can have them cut the table to what size you want, and you can opt to use
another mounting option (Lagun) of your own that will allow a lot of positioning options. Another option is to make another dinette in the back. They won't put a permanent bed up front, probably because it would necessitate a fairly large change to the electrical layout.

We are going to order a 21NE with a straight (not U) dinette in the back, and have the U dinette up front without a table. We will ask for full depth (24") benches on all sides of the U, with 4" back rests. (The closed side of the U is normally 18"deep and has a 2" backrest.) We decided that separate spaces for adults & children, plus a large table outweigh the comfort of a permanent bed.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #4
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
We're actually picking up our 21NE in 2 weeks.

Your build sheet is very similar to our completed unit...but with some additional options like alloy rims (I like bling) and an extra solar panel on the roof (I like power).

No microwave (we have one already), the 3 inch higher dinette was removed from our build by ETI, although I can't recall why...though it was a valid reason when it was explained.

We had another access door on the passenger side under the dinette, but that was removed because of the manual awning support beams preventing such ( I didn't want to pay $1000+for an electric awning just to allow another hole in the trailer).

The Zamp plug allows supplemental power in areas where solar input is minimized due to weather and foliage cover. I already have a 200 watt portable panel ready to go, so that works for us. I will be looking at BattleBorn lithium batteries down the road, when 3 things happen
(1) the economy comes back
(2) the Canadian dollar recovers from it's current peso level exchange rate
(3) economy of scale aids in reducing the price of lithium batteries even further

I'm confident what we've ordered will get us well started. We kind of went overboard on our build - but comfort and quality were paramount. We wanted something that could provide shelter in an emergency, and could stow enough to do so with some ease.

Between wild fires rapidly becoming the norm, and the shadow of "the big one" hanging over the whole western seaboard, this choice was the best for us. But the primary reason for our build - to actually explore both Vancouver Island and the rest of British Columbia, on our time and in our own 'hotel room'. More of a consideration today than it was when we ordered our trailer back in January.

Time and experience will determine what else we "need" and what else we "want". No doubt you'll find that as well.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
BTW, the quoted cost for making the rear bed into a conventional dinette is $360 (USD); to convert it to a U dinette is $480 (USD).
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I would 86 these options:

Surge Protector.... Was not excited about the wait when booting up.

Wireless Backup Camera..... Pretty expensive and limited value to me.

Stereo/DVD Player with Four Speakers.... So many other sound options today, Bluetooth speaker and cell phone etc.

TV/Cable Ready with 120V Outlet.... Have never used it, a 12 inch iPad is much more useful than the whole conventional tv thing.

IMHO of course
jeffrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
Crash
I second most of cpaharley's suggestions. We have a 2018 21', prior to this we had a 2016 19'. Having experienced both types of windows and awning, I agree with cpaharley for you to consider the powered awning and the frameless windows. We seldom used the manual awning, and we use the powered frequently. Also, we agree with cpaharley and would delete the inverter.
Good luck, no matter what you do you will enjoy the heck out of your new Escape.
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I've seen references to raising the dinette in both the 19 and the 21NE. While it was a good thing to have in a Classic is visibility still an issue in the Gen 2?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Personally, I wouldn't do shelves in the cupboard; instead for slightly more money you can put in an elfa drawer system from container store. This enables much more versatility in placement and size of bins.Click image for larger version

Name:	elfa shelves 17A.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	47184
Old 05-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Personally, I wouldn't do shelves in the cupboard; instead for slightly more money you can put in an elfa drawer system from container store. This enables much more versatility in placement and size of bins.
Good idea!
Old 05-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Bend View Post
Crash
I second most of cpaharley's suggestions. We have a 2018 21', prior to this we had a 2016 19'. Having experienced both types of windows and awning, I agree with cpaharley for you to consider the powered awning and the frameless windows. We seldom used the manual awning, and we use the powered frequently.
Great - will go with the power awning based cpaharley and your suggestion.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
one caveat, check if there are any electric or other obstructions in the cabinet which would impact usable depth. You'd need info from escape or another owner of that model for that.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
We're actually picking up our 21NE in 2 weeks.
The Zamp plug allows supplemental power in areas where solar input is minimized due to weather and foliage cover. I already have a 200 watt portable panel ready to go, so that works for us. I will be looking at BattleBorn lithium batteries down the road
Oh, okay, that is very helpful. We also have a 200 watt portable panel, inverter, and solar AGMs.

Given all this seems good go with Zamp and remove the inverter and ETI batteries and use our own. That make sense to you?
Old 05-25-2020, 01:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow View Post
I would 86 these options:

Surge Protector.... Was not excited about the wait when booting up.

Wireless Backup Camera..... Pretty expensive and limited value to me.

Stereo/DVD Player with Four Speakers.... So many other sound options today, Bluetooth speaker and cell phone etc.

TV/Cable Ready with 120V Outlet.... Have never used it, a 12 inch iPad is much more useful than the whole conventional tv thing.

IMHO of course
Got it - makes sense.

Regarding TV/Cable Ready with 120V outlet. Does that option add a 120 outlet or is it already in that location?
Old 05-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
Crash - you can have them cut the table to what size you want, and you can opt to use
another mounting option (Lagun) of your own that will allow a lot of positioning options. Another option is to make another dinette in the back. They won't put a permanent bed up front, probably because it would necessitate a fairly large change to the electrical layout.

We are going to order a 21NE with a straight (not U) dinette in the back, and have the U dinette up front without a table. We will ask for full depth (24") benches on all sides of the U, with 4" back rests. (The closed side of the U is normally 18"deep and has a 2" backrest.) We decided that separate spaces for adults & children, plus a large table outweigh the comfort of a permanent bed.
That is very interesting about the dinette options. I have to think about that.

If we did what you are doing, is it still easy to convert into a bed?

And some people have recommended the springfield pedestal - any thoughts on that?
Old 05-25-2020, 01:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'll give you my opinion, FWIW. Secret options are basically something not listed but wanted. I like the power awning and with awning windows a must. Zamp is for adding additional solar panels, like portable units. Table is "U" in the front. Some like the raised to give them better view out front. No microwave, drop the inverter, save your $$$. Exterior hatch, I'd get at least one under front dinette section and add a door to end of seat by door. Get two for the bed. Get 2 showers, each side with one by the door for washing dishes outside. Lower the passenger side light to below the belly band, get the optional LED awning light(it is adjustable), get extra light for front, get amber lenses for all exterior lights(3). The light movement and lens change maybe n/c?
That all makes sense.

Just so I understand...

The reason for the exterior hatches is to make getting access to the under dinette storage easier?

And the doors you mention are interior doors to the storage under the bed?
Old 05-25-2020, 01:49 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Got it - makes sense.

Regarding TV/Cable Ready with 120V outlet. Does that option add a 120 outlet or is it already in that location?
The option adds the 120v outlet but I have always requested a 12v outlet as most tv's operate off 12v, again should be n/c
Old 05-25-2020, 01:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Adding my vote for electric owning, had the manual in my previous Escape, using the electric a lot often. You can find endless discussions on this topic.

I like the inverter, using it everyday.

I love music, I prefer using my phone with a bluetooth device.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

If you get the u-shaped dinette, purchase one filler cushion and a 4" back cushion. We use that area as a lounging area. Love it!

The standard back cushion for the u-shaped dinette is 2". When sitting in the area your back will hit the window knobs. We ordered the 4" cushion and problem solved. We had two different owners tell us of that problem when we attended the Mississippi River Rendezvous before our build.

We also had the rear back and seat cushions split so you don't have to manhandle those huge cushions to get to the storage underneath.
Perry
From another thread on the dinette design... this was another trailer but it all seems to make sense.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:06 PM   #20
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Your new 21NE and $CAD

Hello Crash, congrats on the new 21NE. Looks like you are putting together a very nice unit.

I noticed you were from Seattle, but you are quoting prices in $CAD. Were you able to convince ETI to let you buy the trailer with $CAD funds?

My reason for asking is Karl@Escape’s March 26th announcement that ETI was instantly raising the price of Escape trailers by thousands of dollars for US citizens by forcing them to use a special $USD price (see https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post331986 ). When I saw your post, I was hoping there may have been a change, and that US citizens would once again be allowed to purchase a Canadian trailer in Canada with Canadian currency at ETI.

Best wishes for your new trailer. - Bea
Bea is online now   Reply With Quote