US Customs: Coming Back into the US from Chilliwack? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2022, 04:20 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Though I know one does not go through US Customs going into Canada I wonder if it would be possible/work to stop anyway and show them what is in the truck? Kind of a pre-emptive disclosure.
A waste of time. Two different country governments. I think you'll find coming back into the USA to be a bit more of a bother than getting into Canada.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 04:31 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
In 2017 We stayed the in the Hotel right next to Escape and had no sense of crime. perhaps it's changed? We had a truck with a cap that locked however. No problems with customs. Coming back from Canada three summers ago from NewBrunswick they went through my trailer looking under the bed and in the fridge, they confiscated a green pepper, I was heartbroken lol. Having worked for the government, I am always cooperative and respectful, even if they aren't very nice. Seems to work better than coping an attitude. Crossing into Canada a very nice border agent was really liking the Escape.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 05:15 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

Kind of a pre-emptive disclosure.
If there's one thing that I'm pretty sure of it's pre-emptive disclosure might not be a good idea. I think that folks that immediately start explaining themselves when they haven't been asked any questions are a tip off that they're nervous about something. I'm pretty sure the best policy is to just answer any questions you're asked in a polite manner.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 05:59 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
If there's one thing that I'm pretty sure of it's pre-emptive disclosure might not be a good idea. I think that folks that immediately start explaining themselves when they haven't been asked any questions are a tip off that they're nervous about something. I'm pretty sure the best policy is to just answer any questions you're asked in a polite manner.

Ron
Spot on advice!
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:01 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Though I know one does not go through US Customs going into Canada I wonder if it would be possible/work to stop anyway and show them what is in the truck? Kind of a pre-emptive disclosure.
Is it possible you may be overthinking this? Taking out all your stuff on the U.S. side and leaving it a motel room leaves open a possibility it may not be there when you come back for it for one thing. And what a PITA too. People are constantly going back & forth at the Border, so unless you are carrying a firearm I would say relax, get a nice hotel in Canada- that way you won't have to get possibly frazzled getting to ETI to inspect your trailer prior to them delivering it the same day.

On that note of inspection: it is so easy to wander off the mission of inspection with the "OMG it is really happening" or similar thing. So get your checklist together on the things you are concerned with and don't let the ETI staff distract you.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:21 AM   #26

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron

Good point!
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:54 AM   #27

"Is it possible you may be overthinking this?"

Certainly been know to happen in the past!
Old 11-21-2022, 08:10 AM   #28

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I did what you are planning, except I stayed at the Sandman Hotel & Suites in Abottsford, which was very nice. There are a lot of good restaurants nearby as well. That way you could have a bit of an International experience & the room rates are pretty good. I had been to Chilliwack before and didn't particularly care for what I saw in motels there- and evidently they are know for vehicle break-ins.

Edit: I was solo(Susan flew up a few days later) & my SUV was totally packed- even had my own 4" foam mattress + latex topper. No problems going back over border.

On the way up just expect the Canadians will expect a Texan to be packing & treat you accordingly.
I was at the border at least 10 min answerihg questions. He asked if I had left any weapons (I did) at my hotel in Sumas and did I have the Phone # there. Even asked what kind of weapons I had at home. Still wondering what that was all about.

There was no on behind me so he had time on his hands and I was in no hurry. He wasn't amused when I mentioned that I had no rocks on me either.)

Maybe a different plate if I go that way again.
Old 11-21-2022, 11:45 AM   #29

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
I was at the border at least 10 min answerihg questions. He asked if I had left any weapons (I did) at my hotel in Sumas and did I have the Phone # there. Even asked what kind of weapons I had at home. Still wondering what that was all about.
I got that guy before, or maybe his brother since it was further east at the US395 crossing. Wanted to know what firearms I owned and asked me more than once which firearms I had with me.

I'm not the most travelled person out there, but I have gone through border crossings for Canada, Mexico, Singapore, the Philipines, and several European countries. I've had the most hassle from US agents, followed by Canadian. All the other countries are tied for a very distant third place. The source of some of my small issues with American and Canadian border authorities may be because most of my US / Canada crossings have been business rather than pleasure in nature (I was a field service technician for a couple of sawmill equipment manufacturers for 4 years) and I was a frequent crosser for a while.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 06:45 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
My son and I hunted bears in Ontario in 2010. We declared and paid the fee for three long guns. We were straightforward with the border people. We had no problem re-entering the USA with our firearms.

Four years later we crossed into Canada and answered the questions.The guard was thorough but not nasty at all. I told him we had been to Canada in 2010 and had declared our guns and paid the fee. Looking at the screen he asked when that was and I gave him the approximate date. He said “you’re free to go, have fun in Canada”. After that I crossed into Canada 17 times. Never had a problem at any of several border crossing sites.

I respect both sides of the border, try my best not to push the envelope and answer the questions with short, concise accurate answers. Once, crossing into Osoyoos the guard asked me 14 questions. 12 or 13 were all about how I liked the trailer and would it make a good hunting base camp in the bush. They know a lot about you when they read the screen in front of them.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-21-2022, 06:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
All the other countries are tied for a very distant third place.
Not the ones where baksheesh is the name of the game. And I don't pay baksheesh ever.

Ron
Old 11-22-2022, 07:59 AM   #32

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
I got that guy before, or maybe his brother since it was further east at the US395 crossing. Wanted to know what firearms I owned and asked me more than once which firearms I had with me.

I'm not the most travelled person out there, but I have gone through border crossings for Canada, Mexico, Singapore, the Philipines, and several European countries. I've had the most hassle from US agents, followed by Canadian. All the other countries are tied for a very distant third place. The source of some of my small issues with American and Canadian border authorities may be because most of my US / Canada crossings have been business rather than pleasure in nature (I was a field service technician for a couple of sawmill equipment manufacturers for 4 years) and I was a frequent crosser for a while.
My experience is similar. Using the following analogy, When I cross over into Canada, I feel like the Jews must have felt during the Exodus from Egypt. The parting of the Red Sea analogy is not a stretch. I feel like I belong in Canada.

Canadian border crossings have always been stress free. Whereas crossing back into the 'land of the free' can be problematic. When we left Osoyoos after the rally, the US border guard demanded to know what was in the unopened box in the back of our 4Runner. I told him it was the cover for the RV. He wanted to see a bill of sale and charge me a custom duty on the cover. I said it was included in the manifest. 'Did he want me to show him the manifest'? He began to play with me. 'Why isn't the cover on the trailer then'? Eventually he got bored with the scene, the line was backing up, and he passed us through to the next person who did a through inspection of the trailer.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Whereas crossing back into the 'land of the free' can be problematic.
Censors go at it.
Reminds me of my first interview for a Nexus card. American and Canada interviewers are at adjacent desks. First up was the American interview by a person of color and he asked why I wanted a Nexus card. I said that now that I'm retired I wanted to explore the home of the brave and land of the free. He laughed and said "don't know about the land of the free but enjoy your travels."

Speaking of Nexus, just got my renewal card. I sent in the application and fee in Jan. Glad they've sorted their little tiff out.

Ron
Old 11-22-2022, 01:46 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Stop, just stop PLEASE. I keep asking people to keep the political postings OFF the EscapeForum. One member is really bad and that opens the door to others. Just stop.

I've edited at least one post this in this thread and deleted several all together.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 02:08 PM   #35

Thank you, Donna. I was just composing a much less gracious post about the need for some posts to be on a different forum. I think in no small measure others are discouraged from requesting help here when they think their post may be hijacked by those who have their own agenda and no interest in the subject of the post.

(Feel free to edit or remove this if you want. Just needed to get it off my chest)
Old 11-22-2022, 04:39 PM   #36

Trailer: 2012 E19
The purpose of a border crossing customs checkpoint has everything to do with certain types of items being transported across the border. I don't really see how the personal property items I have at my home would be relevant to a border crossing (far away from my home). Are we really required to answer irrelevant questions? Honestly, if they started asking me specifics on what guns I have at my home, I think I would tell them they don't need to know. If that makes them want to go through my vehicle with a fine-toothed comb and do a strip search of my person, they have that right and I will cooperate, but on principle I'm not inclined to satisfy their nosy curiosity about matters that don't concern them.
Old 11-22-2022, 04:49 PM   #37

We have decided we will probably just take everything through to Canada and back. Have never had a problem with Customs (though not in a similar situation), are retired, and will just look upon it as a life experience and adventure.

Will report back later.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:04 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
We have decided we will probably just take everything through to Canada and back. Have never had a problem with Customs (though not in a similar situation), are retired, and will just look upon it as a life experience and adventure.

Will report back later.
Congrats on your 21C, I absolutely love mine.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote