David Murphy health update - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2022, 01:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
David Murphy health update

In March I was diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer and I posted about it then. I thought an update is in order since at last it is a happy update. Cancer has been quite an adventure so far but things are finally getting better. The first chemo regimen they tried me on was effective on the tumors on my pancreas and liver but had side effects that just about did me in. I lost 40 pounds in three weeks and wound up in the hospital.

Fortunately there is a second chemo regimen for this cancer and they switched me to that. Everyone reacts differently to all the meds so they don't really know how it will be for any one person until they try it on you. The second chemo, for me, has almost no side effects - other than feeling very tired for a couple of days after each infusion that's about it. Looks like my hair is saying bye bye, but there wasn't a lot there anyway so it won't be much of a loss.

The biggest issue with the new chemo was finding out whether it would work on my tumors, and this week a CT scan confirmed that all of them are continuing to shrink and it is working really well....whew! I am feeling the best I have felt in many months and that is expected to continue. My cancer is still considered not curable, barring a miracle - which of course I am certainly receptive to if I happen to be one of the very few lucky ones. But as we move forward things are looking more and more like I have an excellent chance of coming in on the high end of the life expectancy averages for this cancer and extending them, we'll just have to see how things go. For now, there is a high likelihood that at least for the rest of this year I will be feeling really good, and hopefully that will continue into next year. They will keep doing chemo as long as it is working effectively on my cancer and the side effects aren't doing any damage to the rest of me.

My oncologist has given his enthusiastic blessing for us to head out in mid-September on a two month trip to Utah, Colorado and New Mexico. His whole goal is to give me the best quality of life possible, and what could be better than camping in all of our favorite places! When my cancer popped up in March we were just two weeks from heading out on a big similar trip which of course bit the dust. But being the optimist that I am, I immediately started planning a fall trip and working on reservations with the hope that we would be able to do the trip later, and everything is now falling into place for that to happen. Despite how hard it is to get reservations at popular destinations these days, with perseverance and flexibility we managed to get campsites at Arches NP, Capitol Reef NP, and Dead Horse Point SP among others.

Three months ago even my immediate future was in doubt....now we are looking forward to loading up the trailer with cats and provisions and heading out to get away from this scorching Texas heat. My physical strength and stamina is not what it was a year ago, but even if I wind up just sitting around the campfire a lot it will still be a great trip. And I will be working between now and September on building back my strength so that I am able to do at least some hiking. So life is good!
Attached Thumbnails
Escape shirt.jpg   Zero Gravity Chair 2.jpg  
Old 07-23-2022, 01:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 21
So glad to hear this David that you can travel again many prayers n thought going out to you. As a fellow Texan if I can help you in any way please let me know not that far away. Stay strong
Old 07-23-2022, 02:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita ... for now ...
WOW! Great to hear this David. Sitting around ANY campfire sounds good!
brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:13 PM   #4

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Any day your oncologist offers up good news is a great day to celebrate.

This photo is on the day I received good news and one year later with hair. I brought a couple of Daddy Colas to either celebrate good news or cry in it. The no glasses thing is because I had cataract surgery in both eyes between these two photos.

As far as losing hair goes I really do miss not having to shave.

I did lose my energy during the days after chemo. I remember lying in bed thinking I'm too tired to even move my fingers.

Be Well, Stay Positive and Enjoy the heck out of your upcoming adventure.
Attached Thumbnails
899097BC-AB32-4CFE-9EA9-FCE5C4E020B6.jpeg  
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
That's great news!
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Inspiring story, very inspiring. Thank you and continued good health to you David.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
David, that’s absolutely great news, and I will continue to pray for you daily as I have.
Old 07-23-2022, 02:46 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Hang in their Dave, hope to see you on the road. It has been close to 18 months since my last round of treatments and I'm feeling better and stronger each day. Life without a pancreas is doable and with watchful monitoring almost normal. Here is an older picture
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0027.jpg  
Old 07-23-2022, 02:53 PM   #9

here is one right before departing for Chilliwack in May
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0205.jpg  
Old 07-23-2022, 02:53 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks for posting an update David. I was wondering how you were feeling and you've let us know! It's sounds like good news and the fact you're up to go camping is even better.

Get those muscles built up a bit and then go enjoy a great Fall in some of your favorite places.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:55 PM   #11

here is one enroute
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0273.jpg  
Old 07-23-2022, 03:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Great news to hear! Thanks for sharing, hope you continue to find success in treatment.

I hope one day we can meet at a rally.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 03:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Good Deal!

Old 07-23-2022, 03:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Outstanding to see the great-news update, David!

Old 07-23-2022, 03:45 PM   #15

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Three months ago even my immediate future was in doubt....now we are looking forward to loading up the trailer with cats and provisions and heading out to get away from this scorching Texas heat. My physical strength and stamina is not what it was a year ago, but even if I wind up just sitting around the campfire a lot it will still be a great trip. And I will be working between now and September on building back my strength so that I am able to do at least some hiking. So life is good!
That's a fat tuxedo. Just like ours. See you this fall at Capitol Reef & Thousand Lakes.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1235.jpg  
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 03:57 PM   #16

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Great news, David! We always appreciate your eagerness to help those in need here. You are a VERY valued member of this board, and we hope you’ll be with us for a long, long time. I’ve said this to others many times before, but none with such great hope that it comes true: Happy Camping!!!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 05:00 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Good news is good news. Keep the faith and remember... an apple a day, young fella.
Old 07-23-2022, 05:29 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Great news Dave! God bless and keep you. May you recover fully.
Old 07-23-2022, 05:58 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Great news! One of the best things in life is to have a trip (or two) to look forward to!
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 06:11 PM   #20
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
We lost a dear friend to that about 20 years ago, and are grateful to learn that there have been some treatments for your case that are working! This is great news! We also want to thank you for all the great advice, either directly to a question we may have posted or others. It has inspired me to take more time during the week to read the forum posts here and try to help when I can. Please take care and let everyone know where you are camping along the way!
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote