Current Management does not support the Escape Family - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2021, 12:57 PM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
As for warranty, I know of several people with stick built trailers that have had issues, more serious than issues with Escape, and the warranty with those trailers seem to be lacking as well.
Exactly this. I'm on a monster Keystone travel trailer group on Facebook. Those people have major warranty issues! Needing to take their trailers back to the dealer and having it sit for 12 to 16 weeks waiting for service is unacceptable to ME.

Fortunately all-molded-towables are a pretty simple beasts. No multiple slides, multiple air conditioners, quadruple waste tanks, washer/dryers, dishwashers, and multiple electric awnings.

We don't know how good we've got it until you read some of their horror stories. Some can't even move their trailer until issues are fixed!

I figure as long as all the exterior lights work and it's safe to go down the road, I'm using it! YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:11 PM   #62

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Why would you necessarily think that?
  • First, there is the market context. There is an industry wide surge of demand for RVs and campers.
  • Second, the cost of the camper is only a small part of the spend. Roughly speaking, we spent about 50K on the camper, 70K on the truck and about 5K on the related items. And, that does not include the investment of time and plans. Supposing one were less than completely satisfied with ETI and/or the camper, does that mean that one turns around and sell it off? That's like cutting off your nose to spite the face, and the answer for most people would be no. It reflects the position on the chessboard and is not an endorsement of ETI,
To respond to your counter arguments, market context is exactly why one might see a noticeable uptick in used Escapes for sale by dissatisfied owners. The surge in demand for RVs applies to the used market as well. Buyers are paying at or very near the original sales price for pre-owned RVs today.

Your second point would only be relevant for someone completely bailing on the idea of RV ownership altogether, not someone looking to “correct a buying mistake” and moving on to a different brand.

The point I was making, and seemingly confirmed in your response, is that despite some issues (which I - optimistically - associate with growing pains in the midst of a crazy pandemic) the Escape Trailer is still a worthy purchase. I believe we are on the same page in this respect.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:16 PM   #63

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I have had enough shots of the Escape Kool-Aid to through down my deposit but I still find it unique how Escapees justify/minimize/compare having no warranty for a $50,000 toy.

Maybe since our toys are just that, a warranty is simply meaningless? I mean, I'm commenting about it but it's not stopping me from getting an Escape.

I think there is something in the water.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:20 PM   #64

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Regarding what Donna said- nope, not going to sell my trailer because of a crappy stove, regardless of whether I get a satisfactory resolution. I barely use an indoor stove so it isn't a big deal.

I don't even really care about aftermarket work although I was also told there were things I could add later if I changed my mind.

What IS a big deal is a safety issue being dismissed without even a warning going out, and being told to handle it through Suburban (although Suburban says contact your RV dealer). And about the heat shield (which Escape distorted to fit into the opening and so it comes loose and falls out ) "fix it yourself" with no information on how to do that. What safety issue is going to come up next that I might not know about? (Like the people with the 21s who were not warned about the solar panels coming off because up to then it had been the other model?)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:23 PM   #65

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Thinking about the water being doctored a friend sent me a comment recently.
“Actually putting the microchips in the horse dewormer was a stroke of genius.”
Iowa Dave
Old 09-06-2021, 01:33 PM   #66

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Thinking about the water being doctored a friend sent me a comment recently.
“Actually putting the microchips in the horse dewormer was a stroke of genius.”
Iowa Dave
Dave - You have it upside down. The microchips get dewormed by the horse dewormer and are safe to be ingested...
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:42 PM   #67

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
For all the complaints about warranty, I wonder how many have actually read the warranty? Yearly service seems to be a common requirement ( which would have your trailer in the shop for half the year, waiting its turn ).
Old 09-06-2021, 02:16 PM   #68

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I think there’s a terrific opportunity for people who have the ability to get into being mobile RV techs. Many other service professionals go to the customer.and trailer repair seems like a natural. I had a cousin who was a mobile heavy equipment mechanic. He really enjoyed the traveling , the myriad of people he met and knew, and made a good living. Even the winters in Oklahoma, Texas, and the mid south were fine with him. He worked for a company not as an independent.

Having equipment like a trailer that just needs a specific “non critical” repair seems a shame to just spend the summer in a repair shop parking lot. Just like positive improvement modifications, repairs and general maintenance are possible with the right mindset, the parts and a little help and encouragement from others. It seems that many have lost their willingness for field expediency.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-06-2021, 02:20 PM   #69

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
You would think with all the negativity toward ETI on this board lately there would be a large number of used Escape trailers on the market. Seeing how few are available for re-sale, looks like they are still a good purchase. On that basis, we plan on keeping our place in line for a May 2022 delivery - being well aware that we won’t have the benefit of bringing it back to Chilliwack for warranty repairs or later upgrades (some 2,500 miles away).

When and if the Texas plant starts producing campers the value of the used ETI trailers will be something interesting to watch.

But as far as the negativity towards the company on here, I look at it as constructive criticism that can be useful in many ways.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:05 PM   #70

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
Yes there a few negative comments right now, but when you look at the big picture I think Escape is still an excellent choice. The build quality is still very good. Compare Escape to some of the mass market RV's out there and there is no comparison. Also the flexibility Escape gives you to customize your trailers is also very welcome.
Yes there are a few things here and there, but all relatively minor IMHO, with the exception of the SDS stove, where I think Escape should be held more accountable. I understand they are no longer offering this stove which is good, but they should be more proactive in letting existing owners know about the potential problem and the fix for this problem.

As for warranty, I know of several people with stick built trailers that have had issues, more serious than issues with Escape, and the warranty with those trailers seem to be lacking as well.

I still feel confident in the Escape trailer and if I had to do it again, I would buy another Escape
We're very happy with our Escape and would not hesitate to buy another one. Before we bought ours I looked at stick builds and went onto their forums and they can be a nightmare with mostly water issues which can be fatal and all the same appliance issues.
Before we bought I knew there would be almost no chance of ever going back for service as they are1200 km's away. They are well built and the plumbing and electrical are probably better than the majority of stick builds.
It helps if you are handy with tools so you can do some of your own work as they do breakdown on occasion and not always close to home.
The stove issue is not being handled very well IMO, it's not their fault but they should be notifying people who have these installed.
There are multiple upgrades that can be done listed on this forum by some very knowledgeable people if you find things that are lacking in quality.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:30 PM   #71

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Seems to me some items that people have issues with are just as easy to just fix yourself... Draw slides? come on, just fix it.... MHO only
We need to be careful not to assume everyone has the same capability to fix problems themselves. Some are not mechanically/electrically inclined, age, health, lack of time, lack of tools, etc. all come into play. My wife wishes I had one of these challenges as I come up with things to do.
Old 09-06-2021, 03:47 PM   #72

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
We need to be careful not to assume everyone has the same capability to fix problems themselves. Some are not mechanically/electrically inclined, age, health, lack of time, lack of tools, etc. all come into play. My wife wishes I had one of these challenges as I come up with things to do.
My policy is that I don't tackle anything that would leave the trailer unusable if I can't finish it. Kind of like, don't take the door off the house if you aren't sure you can put it back on. (But taking off an interior door is fine.).
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:24 PM   #73
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
When and if the Texas plant starts producing campers the value of the used ETI trailers will be something interesting to watch.

But as far as the negativity towards the company on here, I look at it as constructive criticism that can be useful in many ways.
Interesting. I have not carefully thought though the ramifications of the potential TX plant. What are your thoughts?
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:30 PM   #74

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post

Does Escape's 2-Year Warranty have any meaningful value?

Quote:

but I still find it unique how Escapees justify/minimize/compare having no warranty for a $50,000 toy.
Here's two examples of items replaced under the useless no warranty.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0041_resize.jpg   IMGP0040_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:20 PM   #75

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Perhaps it would be helpful to focus on what makes an Escape trailer desirable, in the first place.

For me, it is quite simple. While it may be overly simplistic to boil it all down to a couple of fiberglass tubs being stuck together, the reality is that both Escape and Airstream produce trailer bodies that avoid the overwhelmingly prevalent structural flaws inherent in the stick build designs.

If ETI manages to get the body halves formed and put together in a manner that maintains a degree of structural integrity that is consistent with fiberglass industry structural standards, then the only thing that we as owners or potential buyers have to be concerned about is the quality of the components and appliances and the expertise and attention to detail involved in putting all these things together and linking related components in a manner that is consistent with the safe and effective installation and use as described by each respective product manufacturer.

While I do not expect the trailer manufacturer to hold my hand if a axle, a microwave or water heater fails under warranty, the reality is that, if you buy a trailer from a dealer and these components fail under warranty, the dealer will facilitate the necessary interaction with the component manufacturer in the course of the warranty repair. With Escape’s apparently current service approach, going to Escape for warranty work that does not involve the hull and/or tanks does not seem to be an option. A the very best, it is not clear that ETI is interested in seeing trailers come back for after sale service.

If ETI delivers our new trailer with structural integrity and all running gear, appliances, plumbing, gas lines and electrical systems are installed according to design and to a level of attention to detail that should be expected of a trailer that is now approaching Airstream and Oliver prices, then I will be happy knowing that they gave me a decent package for my money.

But, exploding gas connections or flying solar panels should not be part of the transaction and even a hint at looking the other way when customer’s call with obvious safety deficiencies should be a line in the sand for all reasonable people.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:59 PM   #76

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Well, you're proposal would actually be a complete redesign of their business and probably cost a lot more than ETI has to spend.

None of the system in Escape Trailers (or any other trailers on the market) were 'designed' by engineers. The entire RV industry builds RVs like they are building houses. Wiring is just run point to point and cut, plumbing is built piece by piece in-situ. All of it is then clipped and restrained to whatever the installer thinks looks good. The results are never going to be reliable, but like your house, everything can be repaired.

As for a quality control engineer, they don't do what you think they do. For sure they are not going to advocate for more checks and tests at end of line. That's not how you build in quality. That's how you paper over a no-quality process to try and stay above water.

The bottom of the RV industry has stuff assembled indifferently. I've seen brake wires pulled around sharp corners and sugged up against screw points. The difference with a better RV isn't a proper harness with looms and defined clip points. It's just workers who route and clip a little bit better.

Crawl around under your car and in the engine compartment and really look at how wiring harnesses and fluid hoses are designed and installed. You'll never find anything like that in any towable RV no matter how expensive.
Perhaps my nomenclature is the problem. There are plenty of excellent solar and rv firms out there. ETI could spend some money to consult with people like AM solar to properly size wire and fusing as they move into more complicated DC systems. Bus bar systems and properly sized chassis grounds etc. As I look at redesign of my dc to add an inverter and later on lithium , I have acquired knowledge quite easily. They could improve.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:43 PM   #77

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Perhaps my nomenclature is the problem. There are plenty of excellent solar and rv firms out there. ETI could spend some money to consult with people like AM solar to properly size wire and fusing as they move into more complicated DC systems. Bus bar systems and properly sized chassis grounds etc. As I look at redesign of my dc to add an inverter and later on lithium , I have acquired knowledge quite easily. They could improve.

Yeah, they could do better. But the things you mention are still within the realm of an electrician or a plumber.

An electrical engineer or a mechanical engineer would build an RV completely differently from the ground up. I've never seen an RV that appeared to have been designed by an engineer.

I am an engineer. Maybe I'm biased being in a field where our products are designed and validated by literally thousands of engineers, but when I look at RVs I don't see the hand of team of engineers.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:44 AM   #78

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I bought my trailer figuring the warranty was useless being 4300km away. What could go wrong I couldn't fix myself. We have had the trailer for 2 summers now and no issues what so ever.

Every time my Maytag appliances have issues, my wife figures it out, gets the parts and hands them to me with a smile. You can get a lot figured out with a good forum and YouTube.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:00 AM   #79

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
After reading all of the pros and cons of Escape's support level I have to go back to a question I asked a while ago.

Does Escape's 2-Year Warranty have any meaningful value?
No, it does not. It is a sales tool only.

Other people may be better working thru the service channel, but for me, no.

Once your trailer leaves the factory, it is never going back. I do not feel like I am a part of any family.

I still love my trailer and would buy it again.

The company that surprised me is Dometic. I think their policies could easily lead to a class action lawsuit over their lack of warranty. Half of the industry's problem are wrapped up in Dometic. IMHO.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:47 AM   #80

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Here's two examples of items replaced under the useless no warranty.

Ron
That's good to know.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote