Escape 21NE stolen in Arvada, Colorado - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2022, 09:11 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Any word on what the video showed? Can't see that it should take too long. We can zip through our coverage at home pretty quickly. If they say that they can't find it I'd think hmm

I can see the need for a tracker for high value, easy to tow potential targets when stored in a storage yard. Doubtful that a used stickie of similar size would be a target. I agree, maybe a cover would help protect it from people passing by and not seeing that there's a high value trailer there.

Ron
Many times theft is a inside job, doesn’t hurt to try anything you can.

I was in Home Depot today, two obvious junkies walked out the front door with not a shopping cart but a flatbed cart full of product.
Workers took note of the time to show lost prevention, but they were still a bit shook about the overdose that happened in the bathroom a few hours before.
Zombies are real.

The theft is the least of their concerns…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:11 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Thank you all for your concern and comments:

Here's where we are today, 6 days after I realized the camper had been stolen:

- Insurance company (Progressive) is working through the research. They believe they might have some good video from the storage yard, but not conclusive.
- We gathered all of our receipts of "stuff" we bought for our camper over the year. Over $3000 of accessories.
- I contacted Escape trailer to let them know what happened and they will notify their dealer network to be on the lookout.
- As several have noted, the storage yard legal contract absolves them of theft. After researching RV thefts over the past week, I will say a storage facility is the most likely place to have your RV stolen. Next time, mine will have a GPS tracker with notifications.
- we did not have a cover on our trailer. I own one, but only put it on for the winter because they are so difficult to get on and off, plus I want the solar panels to keep my batteries charged between trips. We camp quite often in the summer.

Still holding out some hope for recovery, but I do know that once you get past one week from notifying police/insurance/etc, the odds go way down.
Johnspierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:22 AM   #23

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnspierce View Post
- I contacted Escape trailer to let them know what happened and they will notify their dealer network to be on the lookout.
"Escape trailer .... dealer network"

In any case, wishing you the best in this very unfortunate situation.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:26 AM   #24

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
The first thing I did when I bought my new trailer was purchase a Proven Industries Hitch Lock. Someone will need a torch to get it off. It has an 8-pin tumbler which is facing down. Someone would have to lay on their back on the ground, and be a very experienced locksmith to pick the lock.
https://www.amazon.com/Proven-Indust...s%2C111&sr=8-5
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:43 AM   #25

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 [August]
So sorry to hear about this. We're in Loveland and will also keep an eye out it based on the graphics.

We also keep our 5.0 in a secured storage lot that is video monitored but there are also ways to circumvent that. To make ours a "less desirable" target we always keep a Fort Knox lock on the hitch when it's not in tow. Because we have the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch we went with this lock (similar to the Progressive lock).

https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...s%2C122&sr=8-6
gjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
"Escape trailer .... dealer network"

In any case, wishing you the best in this very unfortunate situation.
I believe what they are talking about is the fact Escape belongs to a much larger corporation which produces RV's and accessories and they have relationships with many RV dealerships in Canada.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:44 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakeman View Post
The first thing I did when I bought my new trailer was purchase a Proven Industries Hitch Lock. Someone will need a torch to get it off. It has an 8-pin tumbler which is facing down. Someone would have to lay on their back on the ground, and be a very experienced locksmith to pick the lock.
https://www.amazon.com/Proven-Indust...s%2C111&sr=8-5
My hitch lock was a Master and not nearly as robust as the Proven Industries. Lesson learned.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:45 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Don't beat yourself up over it, it might be a good lock but determined experienced thieves wouldn't be deterred by it. Many trailers have been stolen by the thieves just using the chains to close couple the trailer and haul it away. Then, in a more secluded location remove the lock.

Maybe I'm kind of pushy but I'd be asking to personally view the video.

At any rate it sounds like your insurance company is doing a good job of dealing with it.

Hope, one way or the other, a replacement is on the horizon.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:51 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I get the feeling the only viable long term storage solution is remove two tires and put the trailer up on jack stands.
Attached Thumbnails
wheelock.jpg  
Old 08-11-2022, 09:15 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsheldon View Post
So sorry to hear about this. We're in Loveland and will also keep an eye out it based on the graphics.

We also keep our 5.0 in a secured storage lot that is video monitored but there are also ways to circumvent that. To make ours a "less desirable" target we always keep a Fort Knox lock on the hitch when it's not in tow. Because we have the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch we went with this lock (similar to the Progressive lock).

https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...s%2C122&sr=8-6
Looking at these Ft Knox locks now, they look pretty solid...which puck lock did you pair it with?
Old 08-11-2022, 04:44 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
Looking at these Ft Knox locks now, they look pretty solid...which puck lock did you pair it with?

Looked at those Ft. Knox locks also.

It was an eye opener to watch him bust my lock open with a large nail and about 10 easy wacks with a regular hammer. Took about 30 seconds, including the video narrative.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 04:53 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I get the feeling the only viable long term storage solution is remove two tires and put the trailer up on jack stands.
Why bother snipping? Or using a cordless grinder. I'm betting if you booted it in reverse you'd shear off that small diameter rod. It's the weak link in the chain.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:05 PM   #33

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape

This is what I use, plus a hitch lock. It always goes on as soon as I’m set up. If I am going to leave it for long periods of time I put one on each side.
I picked them up the same day I got my Escape.
As far as at home, I’m lucky enough to live in the boonies. The trailer sets 400 yards from the road, behind the house. They have to go past the house, past two vicious Yorkies, the two of them together are 18 lbs of jaws of death, plus my two good friends Mr. Smith & Mr. Wesson. Good luck.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:25 PM   #34

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
I think the Altor trailer lock might even beat out the Proven Industries lock

https://youtu.be/2P6Rs6MHC6g

Charles
Old 08-16-2022, 07:29 AM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
I don't think the Altor will lock the chains. I just bought a Proven.
Old 08-23-2022, 01:49 PM   #36

Trailer: N/A
So this place doesn’t have a gate and a person on staff during the day to verify that somebody driving out with a 20 ft trailer actually is the owner, or somebody authorized by the owner to drive off with it? I’m sorry but if a lot doesn’t offer at least that basic level of security they’re not worth your business. You have to have somebody there during the day and a gate, otherwise it’s no better than parking it in an open field, and that better come at a basic price because otherwise what’s the point?

Preventing crime is a level of ‘how high do we build this barrier’, so certainly somebody could break into a locked lot at night and run down the gate if they want to go to that trouble. I can agree that the storage owner can’t prevent everything, but don’t they also have insurance? Anyhow I’ve never used a lot before so don’t know, but I have to believe that there are lots that offer check-in/check-out security that would prevent this (you have to show your drivers license on the way out and it better match the trailer).
EscapingDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 02:11 PM   #37

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
EscapingDan, I’ve never seen a lot like you suggest. Most lots around here don’t even have a gate. I’ve used them when I needed a place to store RV’s. All storage I have ever seen requires you to sign an extensive liability waiver and insurance is up to the renter.

A place like you suggest could be built, and provide insurance, but at a cost prohibitive to almost all. You rent a spot, and as all renters do, provide your own insurance.

In storage I had a Bigfoot pickup camper and a Forest River trailer destroyed in a windstorm. I got $1400 more than I paid for the trailer and zip for the camper from insurance. Both were totaled. A friend who needed a home took the Bigfoot and made it livable. I took the trailer money and used it to help pay for a new truck.

Fortunately, I can store at home now. I have various locks on trailers, but the Proven on my Escape with a puck recommended by the lock picking lawyer.

It is very saddening, frustrating, and angering to put all of the time, effort, and optimism into getting the Escape and then this happens. I wish Johnspierce the best.
Old 08-23-2022, 03:17 PM   #38

Hi Dan,

They have a gate and it's electronically controlled by a keypad outside. I saw someone who worked there onsite maybe one time in the 9 months we stored our camper there.

There's really two problems:
1) Most storage facilities don't really have someone "watching" all the time. The one I stored a different camper before this actually did have someone in the office, but they never left and they never verified who came out and in -- you opened and closed the gate with a code.
2) In Denver, finding a storage facility is a real problem -- they are all full! When I found this one it was literally the only spot I could find within 20 miles of my house with a vacancy.

I think the insurance company will be settling the claim this week and I'll be ordering another 21NE. I can assure you I will be looking for and vetting storage facilities a couple of months in advance of delivery
Old 08-23-2022, 04:04 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnspierce View Post
Hi Dan,

They have a gate and it's electronically controlled by a keypad outside. I saw someone who worked there onsite maybe one time in the 9 months we stored our camper there.

There's really two problems:
1) Most storage facilities don't really have someone "watching" all the time. The one I stored a different camper before this actually did have someone in the office, but they never left and they never verified who came out and in -- you opened and closed the gate with a code.
2) In Denver, finding a storage facility is a real problem -- they are all full! When I found this one it was literally the only spot I could find within 20 miles of my house with a vacancy.

I think the insurance company will be settling the claim this week and I'll be ordering another 21NE. I can assure you I will be looking for and vetting storage facilities a couple of months in advance of delivery
May be time to move to where you have space. Although I live within the city limits, there is a rear alley that allows me to put the Escape in the rear yard, behind a 6' gate! I installed a concrete pad and was able to feed electric from the garage to an outlet near the trailer.
Old 08-23-2022, 04:27 PM   #40

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Which model do you use?

Quote:
Fortunately, I can store at home now. I have various locks on trailers, but the Proven on my Escape with a puck recommended by the lock picking lawyer.
My rig is a 2016 E19. This thread has got me thinking I should invest in a better lock and more theft prevention.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote