Plans for pickup in Sumas, WA on Memorial Day - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2021, 09:23 PM   #61

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaweb View Post
This should be the screen you want. You can use the B button on the panel to toggle through the different screens.

Your inverter switch appears to be set correctly.
Thank you very much! We do indeed have that screen. Reading the manual, I am also expecting a similar screen with 2 instead of 1 in the battery index. I do not see that. That’s the source of my confusion.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:24 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp4528 View Post
As Centex said, it is very nice to see you two so happy. And to attach faces to the name. I wish you a wonderful journey.
Thank you very much Steve! Your encouragement has been very helpful.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:35 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
Too bad we didn't talk and you didn't know you needed it. Back in Bellingham is a place called hardware sales. It's kind of hard to describe is like a Home Depot but about one quarter the size with twice the amount Home Depot carries. Small aisles but the strangest thing of all numerous employees that actually know what they're doing. If I remember correctly Anacortes has hardware stores. They probably have the items you need, I'm assuming the road you took was the Birch Bay Linden Highway probably not Smith Road. But you did get to see the raspberry farms. Two years ago my wife and I picked 32 pounds of raspberries one day at a you picking Farm, and then froze it all. Have a great time, you've earned it.
Craig, thanks for the recommendation for Hardware Sales. We went into Bellingham for (1) top class Indian food at Simmering Tava, laundromat (Brio, also excellent), and Hardware Sales (superb service, as per your recommendation).

We picked up a multi screwdriver, wrench set and a high quality pressure reducer valve. The new valve fixed the problem with leaks. Felt bad to throw away the valve supplied by Escape but it’s quality was awful. I would advise against including it in your build.

In any case, thank you very much for your excellent recommendations. They have all been spot on.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:05 PM   #64

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Many thanks! This is very helpful. The search for the charge controller manual has just started 😀
Nice looking rig and couple !
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:53 AM   #65

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I will let Escape know, but am not too bothered. If our camper proves to be good quality (and it seems so this far), all else is okay with me.

We have our custom cooktop, refrigerator, sink and, once Haughton is available, air conditioner. So, that narrows our ask.

Take care!
Are you buying the 9500 or 13500 BTU Haughton?
Old 06-02-2021, 08:35 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Are you buying the 9500 or 13500 BTU Haughton?
I am definitely buying Houghton 9500, whenever it becomes available.

I am convinced with the advice Jim and others have given about the appropriate sizing of AC unit for the camper of our size. I have had oversized ACs and have experienced the phenomenal they are talking about, and have no doubt in that decision.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:25 PM   #67

Trailer: 2022 21NE
Lovely picture and really happy for you guys! Seems all the extra effort with your preparation is paying off!

We are still over a year off from our pickup but I will be learning from the posts you've made for sure. Haven't read much about the cooktop other than the issues with the leaks and don't know much about the AC but it's on the radar to research now.

Have fun!
MichaelS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:34 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS78 View Post
Lovely picture and really happy for you guys! Seems all the extra effort with your preparation is paying off!

We are still over a year off from our pickup but I will be learning from the posts you've made for sure. Haven't read much about the cooktop other than the issues with the leaks and don't know much about the AC but it's on the radar to research now.

Have fun!
Michael,

I hope this is helpful to you and others. You can get the Dickinson Marine cooktop. It is excellent and is not involved in the thread you are reading.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:41 PM   #69

Bobbie and her friend came by to say hello to us at ferry terminal in Coupeville. It was wonderful to meet them. A couple of pictures… my wife forgot to take the mask off in one of them…

It might be a while before the next update as I don’t know the internet situation before Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
8728011F-7D29-4FB4-A815-01A8BE93B6AF.jpg   22938096-197E-41CC-8EA1-4002C6A09C11.jpg  
Old 06-02-2021, 02:26 PM   #70

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Great thread documenting your pick up. Just an FYI. That Escape supplied key lanyard is about the same quality as your your Escape supplied pressure regulator and belongs in the same place. Be careful having it around your neck. Don’t ask me how I know.....ok......my keys for our 5.0 (while the lanyard is still around my neck) are somewhere in the bushes at Stubb Stewart state park in Oregon. Have a great trip!
Jwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:41 PM   #71

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Lovely trailer and lovely couple, it was great to meet you.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:17 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Lovely trailer and lovely couple, it was great to meet you.
Thank you very much Bobbie! It was wonderful to meet you!
Old 06-02-2021, 11:24 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwinfrey View Post
Great thread documenting your pick up. Just an FYI. That Escape supplied key lanyard is about the same quality as your your Escape supplied pressure regulator and belongs in the same place. Be careful having it around your neck. Don’t ask me how I know.....ok......my keys for our 5.0 (while the lanyard is still around my neck) are somewhere in the bushes at Stubb Stewart state park in Oregon. Have a great trip!
Thank you very much for the pointer. I took the lanyard off my neck after reading your post! With the experience so far, some shared some not, I am starting to get the idea.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:49 PM   #74

An update on the day -
  • Getting ready to depart took longer than expected. We had started early, so it was still a comfortable start but any later would have been worrisome.
  • Had a wonderful but short meeting with Bobbie at the ferry terminal.
  • The ferry ride and the trip to the campground was uneventful. There were many narrow and curvy sections along the way but I felt comfortable. I would not have on the first day. Escape 5TA tracks beautifully, making driving easier.
  • Excitement of the wrong kind at the campground. Our spot was narrow and the camper across had parked partly on the road in a manner that severely reduced our maneuverability. Even the most experienced drivers would have had trouble. I gave it a serious try and almost succeeded. But, I also recognized that I was at serious risk of causing some damage. So, I talked to the campground host who confirmed that it was not possible for us to get into the site. The ranger assigned us another site which was easier. Although a negative experience, what I was able to do gave me a lot of confidence in my ability to reverse into spaces for the future.
  • We used the Andersen levelers for the first time and succeeded in the first try.
  • One negative discovery: Our planned campground for Friday and Saturday night (hoh campground), which I understood as first come first serve, unbeknown to us, opened for reservations a couple of days ago and is now fully booked. Scrambling, I was able to book Friday night at Pacific Beach State Park. Still looking for something good for Saturday night. Will address it tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:39 PM   #75
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Alright group, I just deleted a bunch of posts. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. And a pretty sad way to trash someone's thread. Remember, if you can't be kind, be quiet.

Camp on!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:35 PM   #76

Thank you very much, Donna!

This thread started as a quest to inform the group of our pick up and get advice and support. We got a lot of that, and it gave us additional confidence. Along the way, it became part travelogue and part account of our discovery with the camper. It helped us and might be of help to others in the future. I plan to do key learnings and recommendations at the end.

With that, I will cover these two topics below:
  • Escape:
    • Water heater works well on propane.
    • The furnace works. The thermostat, the mechanical kind as we did not get AC from Escape, was very stiff and we were afraid to break something but watching Reece instruction video sorted us out. It would have been nice to have met him.
    • Battery charge concern was resolved. When we came back, the Go Power indicated 100% and 193 Ah level.
    • Was pleasantly surprised that the phones could be charged without inverter using the usb outlets with the 12v outlet.
    • Reported what seems like an issue with SeeLevel II indicator for fresh water tank seems off. We had filled it fully (confirmed with water coming out of the relief outlet) before coming to the current campground yesterday. This is a no hookup situation. We used about 6 gallons since coming here (economizing for 4 days of boondock camping). The level for Fresh shows 0. To be certain, we hand filled 6.5 gallons, again to the relief outlet level). The indicator does not move from 0. So, sent email to Escape.
    • My wife and I made plans for an easier hitch up process with Andersen hitch. I will share if they prove helpful.
    • Gave considerable thought to the problem of backing Escape 5.0. That is indeed the hardest nut. The math (statics?) of it is kind of interesting. I was trying to formulate the dynamic differential equations to capture it, but it proved hard, particularly while hiking. It is also not something I have done recently. Not sure if I will pursue it as a lot of work awaits, but I could understand why Ford etc. are slow to automate or assist when it comes to the fifth wheel trailers. If there is a mathematical genius on board, it is a worthy discussion.

Anyway, it helped me appreciate the problem and the good ways to approach it. That itself is a huge step forward as I have not been clear about that thus far.
  • Day’s Report:
    • We visited the Hoh rainforest, about 1 hour from the campground. Magical place! If you have not been, put it very high on the list. If you have, you likely have it there already.
    • There is a 18 miles long trail, which probably takes 2 days but the first 8 miles are quite easy. We did about 6 (x 2 for return trip). Really enjoyed it.
    • The Camping reservation issue for Friday and Saturday is now resolved. I now have reservations for 2 nights at Pacific Beach state park, albeit in two different sites.
    • As we see and experience these wonderful things (drive on 101, Hoh rainforest, Pacific Ocean off the coast of Washington and so on, it affirms our decision to acquire our Escape. In the recent months, there was some doubt creeping in as we came to terms with the size of the undertaking and the learning curve. It has taken just 3-4 days to remove them.
    • Tomorrow we move to the the Pacific Beach state park.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:51 PM   #77

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Continuing to enjoy and appreciate your shared experiences, kavm, thanks for taking the time and making the effort
Old 06-04-2021, 07:40 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Continuing to enjoy and appreciate your shared experiences, kavm, thanks for taking the time and making the effort
Thank you very much Alan! You have been very helpful and supportive throughout this process.

Each day we gather more experience and get more comfortable. If we can continue without serious mistakes (and there is no reason why not), we will be comfortable using our new Escape well before the end of the trip.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:55 AM   #79

Trailer: 5.0 in June 21
I love these trip reports. The posts that you have made regarding your hitch set up, your build sheet, and your preparation for pick up, have been incredibly informative and helpful. I always look forward to your posts. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and your adventures!
ksfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:24 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfisk View Post
I love these trip reports. The posts that you have made regarding your hitch set up, your build sheet, and your preparation for pick up, have been incredibly informative and helpful. I always look forward to your posts. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and your adventures!
Thank you very much! It is very kind of you. After the recently deleted exchange, I was quite discouraged. So, your and other supportive and interested posts have helped me regain my interest in continuing it.

Many thanks!