Strategic Partner - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2018, 07:25 AM   #61

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Only concern I have is will they still be flexible to customers special requests on builds or will they become not so flexible as here in the US
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:33 AM   #62

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Only time will tell.....
Old 12-09-2018, 07:38 AM   #63

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
If not one will just have to fire the wood shop (again ) and fabricate exactly what one needs. Mmmmmm. Maybe new toys (tools) in the near future.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:39 AM   #64

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
I meant to type "here" in Texas, although when we talk some of us say it like "her in Texas"! :-)
Hi: casejh... LoL. Reminded me of the guy that sent his wife a card from Vegas. "Having a good time. Wish you were "Her"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:57 AM   #65

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
If not one will just have to fire the wood shop (again ) and fabricate exactly what one needs. Mmmmmm. Maybe new toys (tools) in the near future.
'tis what I did two years ago. Made it fit what we wanted. Already had the tools though, in many cases at least two of each.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #66

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: casejh... LoL. Reminded me of the guy that sent his wife a card from Vegas. "Having a good time. Wish you were "Her"!!! Alf
Good One, Alf! Thank goodness I know better than to read your posts with a mouth of hot coffee

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:53 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
I believe that happened at Scamp sometime ago....it burned down.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #68

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I hope they can stay flexible about requests that require only extra time/materials, putting a reasonable price on these things (as Reace and Tammy have done).

For example, i can imagine that the fees for formica, fabric, and floor pretty much covers the slight interruption in the flow of the build, and makes customers like me very happy. This might even be better than allowing a fixed number of choices, because they would have to keep on hand a reasonable amt of all of the alternatives which also means storage issues. The current process means they store briefly the things the customer provides.

In this way, requests that affect structural integrity can continue to be denied, and those willing to pay the piper for other modifications can have what they wish. I haven't shopped around but i'm unaware of any other manufacturer that provides this level of choice--and is certainly one of the premier reasons people choose Escape.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:44 PM   #69

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I hope they can stay flexible about requests that require only extra time/materials, putting a reasonable price on these things (as Reace and Tammy have done).

For example, i can imagine that the fees for formica, fabric, and floor pretty much covers the slight interruption in the flow of the build, and makes customers like me very happy. This might even be better than allowing a fixed number of choices, because they would have to keep on hand a reasonable amt of all of the alternatives which also means storage issues. The current process means they store briefly the things the customer provides.

In this way, requests that affect structural integrity can continue to be denied, and those willing to pay the piper for other modifications can have what they wish. I haven't shopped around but i'm unaware of any other manufacturer that provides this level of choice--and is certainly one of the premier reasons people choose Escape.
I have often wondered how Escape was able to install custom flooring, fabric and counter tops at such a reasonable / low price . I assumed that Escape’ price was set so they broke even and not to make a profit on these options . Whether the new owners will continue down the same path is not known but I would assume they are more profit driven .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #70

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 towing with a 2019 Honda Ridgeline
At least it's not Thor Industries, because heaven forbid if a well respected travel trailer manufacturer looses it's way as part of a behemoth organization...like Airstream.
the5reeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:41 PM   #71
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Reace and Tammy have worked very hard to get where they are today, and they can do with their company as they see fit. I'm sure this new arrangement will be very lucrative for them, and perhaps give them more time with family and friends. I wish them well, whatever happens. I can't think of anyone who is more deserving of reaping the rewards for their hard work. They've earned every penny.

My one and only concern going forward would be if the new management team decides to use dealers. It's just a personal opinion, but I believe using dealers instead of direct sales would be the end of the company as we know it. There's just no way to provide the level of personalized customer service and support that ETI is famous for with dealers vs factory direct sales.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:55 AM   #72
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
My one and only concern going forward would be if the new management team decides to use dealers. It's just a personal opinion, but I believe using dealers instead of direct sales would be the end of the company as we know it. There's just no way to provide the level of personalized customer service and support that ETI is famous for with dealers vs factory direct sales.
I can see positives for using a dealer network. While the big customization many of us have enjoyed may not be possible through a dealer, it is still the same ETI build. I'm betting ETI will up production to include 'spec' trailers for a dealer network. Well appointed, but standarization as in fabric, flooring, Formica, electrics, etc. Not everyone wants to make big changes. A dealer is still capable of adding A/C and a microwave. Only time will tell. ETI tried using dealers before, but they didn't have the resource behind them to really make it work. This strategic partner does. I hope they're successful, wildly successful.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:11 AM   #73

I think you can still have some customizations, like ordering a car from factory with certain options and the dealer taking delivery. In addition, like most Japanese dealers, they install a lot of the options here in the US due to economics. So a/c, foam are 2 examples that could be done by the dealer, while thermal windows would be a factory option.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:58 AM   #74
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
One thing really positive about using a dealer network, is given some time, the dealers are going to learn about care and feeding of all-molded-towables. You can't walk around on the roof! That will be great for anyone owning a different brand... Scamp, Casita, etc. Hopefully they too will benefit and won't be restricted to (just) Camping World for repairs. Repair work and warranty work is something that makes new owners shudder.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:09 AM   #75

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
My perspective (experienced tent and backpacking camper, new to the world of trailers):

I found the option selection process a little daunting, but the people in Chilliwack extremely patient and helpful. I doubt I even began to take full advantage of the customization opportunities, as a newbie their benefits are lost on me. That said, I like the idea of my unit being custom made to order over a couple of weeks rather than rolled off an assembly line in less than a day. As for dealer networks vs. direct sales, I found my interactions with dealers, both on their premises and at rv shows sufficiently, er, alarming, that I prefer the direct sales model (and dealt with both Escape and Casita in my purchase process, so it's not just Escape that has pleasant and professional customer sales reps).

About this new strategic partner: Folks, you don't know enough about what's going on behind the curtain to have an informed opinion. Some things are clear--ETI is a growth opportunity to be nurtured, not a cash cow to be milked, the job description for the new president omitted the 'Chief Executive Officer' part of the title (but who knows why?), the other two companies currently in the portfolio are a slide in camper manufacturer and a manufacturer of tear drop trailers (cost reduction/capacity utilization/purchasing volume opportunities there?), there is an emphasis on a transition from founder led to process driven culture (but what happens when you still need one founder, but not the other, and they're married?). Etc. Etc.

My guess is that this is a positive development. When a small business has great success, it attracts outside investors and it confronts the frequently unmentioned fact that growth brings with it its own challenges. I mean, when a dawg catches a bumper, what's a dawg to do?
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #76

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneca View Post

My guess is that this is a positive development. When a small business has great success, it attracts outside investors and it confronts the frequently unmentioned fact that growth brings with it its own challenges. I mean, when a dawg catches a bumper, what's a dawg to do?

This ?

wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Hi: wetzk... "Rubber baby buggy bumpers". Alf
Old 12-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #78

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Hmm . . . great dash cam work! But is that footage of a founder led or process driven management style?
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
Hmm . . . great dash cam work! But is that footage of a founder led or process driven management style?
Hi: Seneca... No. It's "Tear off" induced style!!! Alf
Old 12-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #80

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I can see positives for using a dealer network. While the big customization many of us have enjoyed may not be possible through a dealer, it is still the same ETI build. I'm betting ETI will up production to include 'spec' trailers for a dealer network. Well appointed, but standardization as in fabric, flooring, Formica, electrics, etc. Not everyone wants to make big changes. A dealer is still capable of adding A/C and a microwave. Only time will tell. ETI tried using dealers before, but they didn't have the resource behind them to really make it work. This strategic partner does. I hope they're successful, wildly successful.
How about a dealer that is also a custom shop for new and used trailers similar to what Little House Customs is for Casitas. Want 500W of solar? Lithium batteries? Quiet A/C? An outside shower added? Or simply an extra 120V or 12V outlet that you realized you need? I'm sure there are plenty of owners out there that have little ability or desire to execute modifications themselves and would jump at the chance to pay someone competent to do it.