Expanding Front Storage on 5.0 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2023, 07:38 AM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
Excellent mod that should be adopted by the factory. Who doesn’t want more storage?
I doubt that will happen as added storage in the front compartment (depending on what is stored) could greatly increase pin weight to the point that a 1/2-ton pickup cargo weight is exceeded. That leads to potential legal liability as in providing the extra space “encouraged” me to fill it up with (possibly heavy) items so you, ETI, are at fault when….. (fill in your own reason as there are multiple possibilities).
Old 07-28-2023, 09:42 AM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Then maybe offer as an option. On my 19, there is a lot of dead space in the cabinets. I moved the propane alarm and added a door there. Be in the continual improvement mode, making low cost improvements every year. All the molded FG makers could benefit by adopting this practice.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 12:45 PM   #43

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I doubt that will happen as added storage in the front compartment (depending on what is stored) could greatly increase pin weight to the point that a 1/2-ton pickup cargo weight is exceeded. That leads to potential legal liability as in providing the extra space “encouraged” me to fill it up with (possibly heavy) items so you, ETI, are at fault when….. (fill in your own reason as there are multiple possibilities).
I do agree with you about an increased pin weight is a possibility by increasing the storage space but I would disagree with the increased legal liability for ETI by doing so. ETI states they will not provide any assessment as to the suitability of a truck and it's up to the owner to make that judgement. Some folks are pack rats, some folks travel light. I would find it helpful if ETI were to make a recommendation for a minimum payload rating, but they don't, and leave it up to the owner to make that call. I don't question or fault ETI for not making a minimum payload statement. It is what it is. The first image is from their website the 2nd is from the towing guide.

ETI states there is 1,590 lbs between the dry weight of a 5.0 and the GVWR before options are added to the trailer. For any of their trailers ETI makes no claim as to where the weight should be placed in or on their trailers except on the rear receiver. Perhaps a statement/recommendation by ETI could be added to their website and documentation that it is best practice to take a loaded trailer to scales to make sure the appropriate weights are within the TV and trailer ratings. There isn't a warning label like on the rear receiver to not exceed a certain weight in the OEM front storage area. Additionally there isn't a cautionary statement about adding 150 lbs to the rear receiver may lighten the pin/tongue weight and cause trailer sway. I think we'd all agree someone putting a water tank in the front storage area to extend boon-docking would be extremely foolish but they specifically haven't stated it shouldn't be done. But what if someone did an all electric 5.0 would it be crazy to state you couldn't place a water tank where the propane tanks are? I'd say that's probably a fine idea IF you stay within the limits of your TV and trailer. My point being, I don't think ETI not stating what the weight rating is of that front area exposes them to litigation by someone adding 200 lbs to the storage area. YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2023-07-28 12.01.08 PM.png   Screenshot 2023-07-28 12.13.36 PM.png  
Old 08-21-2023, 08:16 PM   #44

Trailer: 2022 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearwater View Post
...Today I removed the sidewalls of the propane storage area to gain access from below. There's not a lot of room to work from the upper storage area, having access from below allowed me to hold the 2x2s in place while driving screws from above. ...
Following the lead of others above I also am working to expand my 5.0 front storage area. Removing the left/right storage area panels was straight forward.

Question: how did everyone remove the left/right propane storage panels? Mine have lots of screws but even after removing them the panels feel like they are glued firmly in place. Do I just need to give a really good tug? I may have to break/cut the panels.
MD-Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 08:19 PM   #45

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
I just had this problem. It was pretty much glued in place, which is not normal according to Escape. I had to use a pry bar and work my way around. It damaged one corner of the panel when I removed it.
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 08:47 PM   #46

Thanks for the quick confirmation. There's no getting my panels off without trashing them. I think I'll just use a trim router and cut along the inside edges and then re-make new panels. Most of the (way too many) screws were stripped anyway.

I hope there aren't any wires within an inch or 2 of the backside of the panels.
Old 08-21-2023, 09:15 PM   #47
Site Team

The propane storage area needs to be sealed so propane can not leak into the trailer.
If you remove the panels, make sure to you put a gasket back around the seam.

Once you remove the side panels in the upper storage area you can look down into the area with the stabilizers. There were not any wires in the way on my trailer.

I was able to expand the storage area without removing the propane side panels.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 09:30 PM   #48

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-Escape View Post
Question: how did everyone remove the left/right propane storage panels? Mine have lots of screws but even after removing them the panels feel like they are glued firmly in place. Do I just need to give a really good tug? I may have to break/cut the panels.
I'm learning from this forum that this is the sort of thing (the detailing and the gasket material) that can vary from trailer to trailer over time.

On mine built in late summer 2021 those panels have a foam gasket around the perimeter.

It's glued to the removable panels but was somewhat 'stuck' to the fixed frame in the trailer. After pulling the many screws I was able to lift a corner and the panels then remove fairly easily - the gasket remained intact on the panels.

Yeah, the propane compartment needs to remain 'sealed' from all others. Not a 'high-pressure' seal but good enough to prevent the heavier-than-air propane from wafting into other places rather than out the vent-hole in the bottom of the compartment in case of a leak.
Old 08-21-2023, 09:34 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by occer View Post
The propane storage area needs to be sealed so propane can not leak into the trailer.
If you remove the panels, make sure to you put a gasket back around the seam.

Once you remove the side panels in the upper storage area you can look down into the area with the stabilizers. There were not any wires in the way on my trailer.

I was able to expand the storage area without removing the propane side panels.
Thanks. That makes sense why the panels are sealed tight. I'll try leaving them in place.
Old 08-21-2023, 11:13 PM   #50

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Once the upper panels and all the screws on the lower panels were removed I reached in from above and gave the lower panels a few good whacks with a dead blow hammer. That broke the seal loose. The panels then pulled out with no damage.
This was on a 2020 trailer. ETI may have changed their method of sealing since then.
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 10:19 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearwater View Post
It's been a hot week here in Minnesota but I've forged ahead with this front storage expansion project. I'm following Jeremy's approach more or less. Well, actually less. I used a pair of 2x2 furring strips on either side to create cantilevered support of the new floor over the floor jacks. I considered adding a post underneath like Jeremy, but I don't think I'll need it. This mod will give me about 12" of extended storage on either side without having to move the wiring. I'm recycling the existing walls and framing, reinstalling them at the end of the new floor. Today I removed the sidewalls of the propane storage area to gain access from below. There's not a lot of room to work from the upper storage area, having access from below allowed me to hold the 2x2s in place while driving screws from above. Since the repositioned end wall was pretty flimsy to start with, I don't feel the need to make it too strong. I'll have support on three of the four edges. I may just tape the contoured front section to the foil insulation to keep it sealed from the jack compartment so dust and what not doesn't fall through. Although looking at all the construction debris down in the jack compartments, I don't suppose that matters. This is a fun mod that doesn't require much in the way of special tools or know-how. We'll gain 24" of space up front, enough to move some bulky items out of the under stairs storage.
I have a question for any of you who have removed the propane side walls. I thought there were sealed with fiberglass to prevent propane from escaping. Wouldn’t this be a safety issue given that a spark from the jack motor could cause an explosion?
I know it’s a slight chance but one time I didn’t get the propane hose tight and when I opened the compartment the fumes were very noticeable.
GregWCIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 12:25 AM   #52
Site Team

I did not remove the propane side walls when I did the modification. All the work can be done from above.
Also the existing side walls that ETI build do not extend all the way to the top so the area where the landing gear are located is not a sealed area. There was some debris down below form ETIs work. With my modification I installed the floors last and are held down with four screws so they can be removed if need be.

Being I don’t remove the propane side walls I may be wrong but I think the walls are not fiberglasses but have a gasket / caulk material around them. No idea what type of gasket / caulk was used.

Take your time and enjoy the process. It’s very satisfying when you get done.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 07:15 PM   #53

We may have beaten this topic to death already but I have photos of the propane compartment side panels removed. I figured I'd share. Might help someone in the future. The foam strips should be easy enough to replace.

A bonus to getting the panels removed was I learned where the black tank SeeLevel is attached! Standard tank probes are also installed but the wires go nowhere.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5982.jpg   IMG_5984.jpg