Replacing Carefree Manual Awning with Fiamma Awning - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2021, 12:57 PM   #1

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Replacing Carefree Manual Awning with Fiamma Awning

Just ruminating and cogitating about awnings,....

We have a Escape 21C picked up in June of 2016. It has the older body design with a more rounded shape (one of the last ones made I think). Should this be called the "21 Classic-Classic" or "21 Classic Rounded" ?

Anyway, it has a Carefree manual awning which we like and use a lot. Unfortunately, we don't have covered storage and the rig sits in our driveway uncovered when not in use (I do wax the rig twice a year). The first 4-5 inches of the awning is showing its age and has a few holes. Last year I ran a 4" strip of white gorilla tape down the entire width right up against where the fabric is clamped to the trailer and it has actually held up very well. Stay-away from the Camco clear repair tape... It started coming off after a month. I did get a quote from Carefree for replacement fabric and it came to about $450 with shipping. Not too bad I guess.

A few intrinsic things I don't like about the awning is the fact that the first 4-5 inches of fabric is always exposed to the elements and this section slopes back to the trailer instead of towards the roller as it probably should. Also, my understanding is that the arms were custom bent by ETI to fit the trailer. It may be impossible to get a replacement if I happen to side swipe something.

I'm starting to research the Fiamma manual awnings like those used on Casita's where the fabric is rolled up inside a cover. Not really interested in any automatic awnings.

Has anyone installed a "Fiamma-like" manual awning as a replacement to the Carefree?

My thought would be to remove the existing Carefree arm mounts and seal the bolt holes. The new awning would then be bolted directly to the roof and my hope would be that the new bolts would come through the roof inside the upper cabinets where any headliner fabric imperfections are not as noticeable.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post

My thought would be to remove the existing Carefree arm mounts and seal the bolt holes. The new awning would then be bolted directly to the roof and my hope would be that the new bolts would come through the roof inside the upper cabinets where any headliner fabric imperfections are not as noticeable.
My concern would be the fibreglass shell around where the awning is located was not designed to support the full load of an extended awning with no support arms. The fiberglass layup would not be correct for the stress and may distort or crack over time.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 21
You might try these people for a replacement. www.toughtopawnings.com
BTW I've never used them, but there are several youtube videos showing how to replace just the fabric.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
A custom sewn, snap on awning cover might be doable. Sail rite in Indiana has a myriad of components and serves the sailing industry. Snaps, zippers, waterproof fabric, twist type fasteners are all available from them. The lady on the customer service line is very well versed on the possibilities. It would not be a huge job to remove the awning and the arms and store them inside in the winter. I stored my fold down awning in the house in a heavy canvas bag for many years in the winter and when not in use.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-21-2021, 03:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Our trailer is a 2015 with the manual awning and every year sometimes twice a year I treat it with 303. The awning looks as good as the day we bought it. A local shop that makes custom awnings for boats told us about it and how well it works to protect the material. We now use it on anything we want to protect from the sun.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
I replaced the worn awning on my 19 this spring with a new Carefree awning that has the features you are looking for. I selected an acrylic base fabric in a solid burgundy color to match my vinyl emblems and had them include an awning wrap called Flxguard that covers the first appx 12 inches of the awning when rolled up and protects the base fabric from the sun and elements. This is more expensive but well worth it.

Here is a picture taken during camping in Idaho this summer.

hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:47 PM   #7
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Here is a picture taken during camping in Idaho this summer.
Fabulous camp site. And the awning looks great as well LOL...
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:20 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Our trailer is a 2015 with the manual awning and every year sometimes twice a year I treat it with 303. The awning looks as good as the day we bought it. A local shop that makes custom awnings for boats told us about it and how well it works to protect the material. We now use it on anything we want to protect from the sun.
What is 303? Do you have a link?
Old 08-22-2021, 12:23 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I wouldn't want to change the awning. Mounting anything to the fibreglass shell without adding support on the interior is a bad idea. You will end up with stress cracks.

If I was going to do this, I would strip the interior and fibreglass hardwood blocks so you have something to attach the new awning to. I would just change the fabric and come up with some sort of cover to use while not in use.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:21 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post

https://www.amazon.ca/303-130340-Aer...s%2C227&sr=8-1

You can also get it at your local Lordco store.
My wife would put it on the dashboard of her car and after 10 years it still looked like new.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:35 AM   #11
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
I'm hesitant in using products that aren't independently tested. Washing, waxing and maintenance will always be preventatives from motor vehicles, boats to our traveling homes.

Here's a link to an independent tester who does a broad range of testing on a lot of different products. As you can see in the video, 303 Protectant is mediocre in this test. I think the video speaks for itself.

Here's a link to the product via Amazon.ca.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=303+aerosp...s_ts-doa-p_1_3

And please, do not use this or any other product on your tires. From my experience over the years, "tire" shine products hasten the aging of tires...and old tires on a trailer can be a killer.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:20 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Some interesting options are discussed here. The original post describes an issue with the manual awning. It is always exposed. I store my trailer in a garage but when I travel that awning is frequently getting wet. From a heavy dew, rain while parked and folded or driving in rain it needs constant attention. The attention consists of opening it for a through drying. Not sure that is something I would do in a Walmart parking lot. Did I mention that my awning frequently shows mold, inside and out?

The FLX product looks like a nice option and worth considering when replacement time comes. I like Iowa Dave's cover solution. I can see a sail boat wanting a cover for stored sails, not much different from an awning. I had a Starcraft popup camper that had the awning fastened into a round channel that ran the length of the roof, a rubber tube ran the length of the awning allowing for easy removal and insertion. The awning was also enclosed in a heavy vinyl bag secured with snaps. A nice design. Because the popup had an easy to reach roof it was nothing to store while travelling of stored. Not so easy on an Escape.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:37 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We’ve been very vigilant when it comes to drying the awning and/or toweling it off, both top and bottom. If we have to leave our site and it’s raining, we make sure there are no leaves, sticks or sap on the awning.
It’s the first thing we deploy and attend to when we are parked again. This vigilance has served us well with no mold or stains on the awning. We have adequate room in the Escape garage to deploy the awning also and often do that after a camp out. Also I take the spare tire cover off after driving in the rain, turn it inside out and air dry it. It can get funky at the split on the bottom if it’s not dried.

At the same time I check the spare tire mount and check inflation pressure, that I keep near the max. As an aside I recently added a valve stem tool to the tool box after camping with a gentleman who experienced a low tire due to a loosened valve core.

Here’s a valve core tool, a couple Schrader valve cores, a tire valve cap with the notch for tightening or removing a valve stem and for you petroliana folks, a few Standard Oil promotional Red Crown valve caps out of the 50s. So goes the world of the hoarder.
Have a great day
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
067E5B32-367D-433A-91D7-773538BA336B.jpg  
Old 08-22-2021, 08:53 AM   #14

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. In particular.

ChrisR & Doug2000: Spot on about shell cracking.
hotfishtacos: The Carefree Flxguard looks like a good solution to protect the first 6 inches or so of awning that is always exposed.
sunrisetrucker: I also use the 303 a couple times a year.
Ops: Will watch the vid.
IowaDave (Howdy neighbor!): I do unfurl the awning after washing the rig to clean and dry it out. No matter rain or shine, it always is a little wet when first unrolled. I have not experienced any mold, but that may be more about living in Nebraska versus the Pacific Northwest or Florida.

Based on everyone's input, I will wait until my "hillbilly" Gorilla tape solution starts coming off and then purchase replacement fabric from Carefree with the Flxguard. Overall, 6-7 years lifespan for an awning that is always outside isn't too bad.

Thanks again
Old 08-22-2021, 09:44 AM   #15

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We picked up our 5.0 in October, 2018 and it's never been under cover. We extend the awning frequently, but it always seems to have moisture (except in the dry southwest). We use our camper from mid-January to mid-November. I wipe the awning down once every three or four weeks, but mold can still start. I anticipate buying new fabric at year six and that doesn't bother us. It was part of our decision to have a seasonal site to go when we're not on the road (4-6 months a year). Oh, after nearly three years of this abuse our awning still looks great.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-22-2021, 03:21 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I wouldn't have any other awning but the manual awning so I like to protect the exposed fabric from damaging UV with a simple cover. It's put on between uses. Easy to do and reduces the exposure to UV.

On the 19 it was made from scraps of Sunbrella fabric. For the 21 we had to dig deeper in the scrap bag but managed to lengthen it enough.

It's held on by velcro straps at the ends and a cord going over the roof keeps it from moving sideways off the fabric.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
02-06-2016 1-41-54 PM05_resize.jpg   IMGP0034_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 03:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Glad to see you back Ron.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Welcome back Ron, great to see you posting again.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Re: Aero 303. We have used it since we bought our 2015 Escape,

So: 6 years. Does a great job, and we use it on the awning material.
Our use is based on personal recommendations from aircraft owners and boaters. We are 3 miles from a busy general aviation airport, and about 10 miles from the Pacific Ocean. We first bought it at West Marine.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:04 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 & 2014 RAM EcoDiesel
I have been using 303 on boats and vinyl for 30 years. Best "ready to use" product I have found.