Broken bolts - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2020, 09:56 AM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Stainless steel is typically used when rust-free application is desired....
Stainless steel isn't rust-less. Ask any LEO with a stainless steel weapon that wasn't properly cared for.... http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-rust-you-bet/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:08 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Stainless steel isn't rust-less. Ask any LEO with a stainless steel weapon that wasn't properly cared for.... Stainless Steel — Can It Rust? You Bet. « Daily Bulletin
Or as boat owners say, stainless isn't.

There's a lot of no grade crap out there. Any Grade 5 or 8 bolt properly installed will do any trailer job required.

Interesting link, still don't know what LEO is but I know much more about, umm, other things of interest.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:31 PM   #43

Trailer: 2012 19
Law enforcement officer
gyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #44

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Stainless bolts

We used nothing but stainless on municipal pool equipment, even going as far as changing out bolts in new stuff that were cadmium plated. The chlorine charged water and air was very corrosive. On other municipal projects, I had a supplier who came around once a month and restocked our bolt bins. He sold Canadian bolts in grade 5 and 8 that we used for strength where needed. We used “never seize” on the bolts that were used outside. It really helped when removal was needed. My boss at that time was a 30 year military veteran and my foreman a WWII veteran so they had no problem with buying American and Canadian equipment including bolts and fabrication steel. We had no offshore tools in the boxes etc. Now it seems that low bid rules.
I hope I don’t twist my ankle getting down off of this soap box
Iowa Dave
Old 05-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Stainless steel isn't rust-less. Ask any LEO with a stainless steel weapon that wasn't properly cared for.... Stainless Steel — Can It Rust? You Bet. « Daily Bulletin
That completely depends on the grade/composition of the stainless steel. Saying stainless steel is an alloy, and there are many different alloys which are labeled as stainless steel. However, my main point is that whichever alloy is employed, the stainless steel commonly sold does not have the tensile strength of carbon steel. Consult a metallurgist......
Anything can corrode. Certain grade of SS are not going to corrode when only exposed to moisture a travel trailer would experience in normal use.

And LEO (the lion) is a stellar constellation, but as Donna uses it, she means Law Enforcement Officer. And any LEO worth his “salt” is going to maintain his sidearm properly.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:24 AM   #46

Trailer: 2013 17B
My underside of the storage box has damage from the shaking. Cracks where the bolts fastened to the washer. They are rusted and the washers snapped in half. I’m starting with a fiber glass repair to the box then I’ll figure out installation. I have a 2013 17b so the older installation. I’m told a new box is $700..
hondalily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:23 AM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Hej Honda Lily.
Easy fixing the fiber glass box.If you are into Vancouver the Fiberglass people on Boundary Road, Burnaby side have everything you need.At good prices too.You can make it stronger.
I cracked mine while backing up and put a patch on the inside, applied resin, let it cure, then repeated the process, sanded and painted.Can not tell that it was damaged, and I am no expert on fiberglass repairs.Good luck, it is not scary.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote