Propane explosion below cooktop - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2021, 11:00 PM   #141

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Needs to be more outrage! If I were expecting a delivery of a new trailer with this total crap appliance I would just wait. Escape needs to expedite a resolution!
You don't know what is going on, and neither do I.
How many will buy a trailer with no furnace, no range, no fridge?
Outrage, SHOUTING, is useless.
Dometic could easily cut Escape off of supply.
Escape will be negotiating.
This is not the Gaza strip.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:05 PM   #142

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
It's a gas explosion. Happened several times. What?!
Old 05-18-2021, 11:31 PM   #143

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You don't know what is going on, and neither do I.
How many will buy a trailer with no furnace, no range, no fridge?
Outrage, SHOUTING, is useless.
Escape will be negotiating.
This is not the Gaza strip.
I think we know exactly what is going on, I took delivery two years ago and had a propane leak from day one, and I'm not the only one. Nothing was done (short of giving me an identical unit that works - for now) until people started getting injured. So now, years after the first complains they will decide in the upcoming days? that's nice.
True this is not the Gaza strip but sometimes sparks needs to fly before a manufacture admits a mistake.
I don't think anybody who was injured cares about Escape relationship with Dometic, and neither do I.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:41 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
I think we know exactly what is going on, I took delivery two years ago and had a propane leak from day one, and I'm not the only one.

Perhaps you should engage a lawyer and launch a class-action law suit then.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:01 AM   #145

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Has anyone who has had a safety issue with these appliances in their recreational vehicle reported it to the federal agency which handles vehicle safety? Depending on the location, that's Transport Canada or the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). I'm not criticizing anyone, just wondering if the system has been given a chance to work.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:35 AM   #146
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Has anyone explored other RV forums with respect to Dometic's Suburban stove tops exploding?

Has there been a specific number of incidents comparable to OP's ?

I'm sure that ETI isn't the only manufacturer carrying this manufacturers specific product.

What numbers have been accurately compiled and evaluated by any party ?

Are they above the statistical average of any product of this type failing within the examined time frame ?

Next question (as has been asked previously) is it the manufacturer of product, or the installer of the product at fault ?

There are a number of agencies available to NWTraveller (and others) that can far better determine the frequency of incidents.

As well, the agencies have the legislated ability and taxpayer funded resources to act upon these complaints.

I'd suggest that any incident like that experienced by NWTraveller, should be quickly reported to the federal agency in his/her country so that they can quickly determine the safety risk, and with the power of legislation, institute a recall of that product.

Frankly, these agencies are funded with taxpayer dollars, WE pay for such examinations. Slagging ETI or Dometic online is of no value in getting this matter resolved.

I hope problem resolution is the intent of this "discussion". Hopefully for the benefit of all parties concerned.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:38 AM   #147

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
I don't think anybody who was injured cares about Escape relationship with Dometic, and neither do I.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
Has anyone explored other RV forums with respect to Dometic's Suburban stove tops exploding?

Slagging ETI or Dometic online is of no value in getting this matter resolved.
The issue at hand involves Suburban which is an Airxcel company. Not Dometic.
(Dometic has its own oven issues related to gas valves but to their credit they issued a recall)
Old 05-19-2021, 07:43 AM   #148

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
After the leak on ours was discovered I looked at replacement stoves. They're mostly just cheap pieces of crap. What do you expect for cheap. All RV manufacturers use these cheap, cheap stoves to keep down costs. The only two I found that appeared decent were Dickinson and Eno stovetops.

We considered the gimballed Eno unit so Terry could cook like Lucy, but settled on the Dickinson because of it's ‘Triple style’ 11,000 and a 7,000 BTU burner. We expect arrival in two weeks.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-19-2021, 07:47 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
...but settled on the Dickinson because of it's ‘Triple style’ 11,000 and a 7,000 BTU burner. We expect arrival in two weeks.
I can tell you from experience that you will not be disappointed.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:08 AM   #150

Quote:
A google search doesn't provide much. It's a relatively newer cooktop and I don't think many manufacturers have picked it up for use. FWIW my buddy has a Jayco and they use Furrion. I know Casita, Scamp and Oliver don't use them...

Quote:
Has there been a specific number of incidents comparable to OP's ?
If you read just this thread alone there are at least three explosions and a couple more gas leaks. How many do you need to hear about before you think this is serious?

Quote:
What numbers have been accurately compiled and evaluated by any party ? Are they above the statistical average of any product of this type failing within the examined time frame ?
If it is your wife or kid in front of that cooktop when there is an explosion I don't think you are going to want to hear about statistical averages. There is clearly a problem with the safety of this item. How many more are going to fail over time as these trailers go bumping down the road year after year?

Quote:
Next question (as has been asked previously) is it the manufacturer of product, or the installer of the product at fault ?
Based on what has been brought forth regarding the rigid gas lines disconnecting from the burners it appears to be a design/manufacturing defect but that is what the NHTSA needs to investigate.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:53 AM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Has anyone who has had a safety issue with these appliances in their recreational vehicle reported it to the federal agency which handles vehicle safety? Depending on the location, that's Transport Canada or the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). I'm not criticizing anyone, just wondering if the system has been given a chance to work.
I urge anyone with the Suburban SDS2 cook top who has found loose burner gas piping/fittings underneath, had a propane leak or an explosion to use this link to report the matter to the NHTSA! Click on "Vehicle" which covers RV/Trailer. The more the better. They specifically say on their site "if the agency receives similar reports from a number of people about the same product, this could indicate that a safety-related defect may exist that would warrant the opening of an investigation."
www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
Old 05-19-2021, 09:53 AM   #152

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
A google search doesn't provide much. It's a relatively newer cooktop and I don't think many manufacturers have picked it up for use. FWIW my buddy has a Jayco and they use Furrion. I know Casita, Scamp and Oliver don't use them...

If you read just this thread alone there are at least three explosions and a couple more gas leaks. How many do you need to hear about before you think this is serious?

If it is your wife or kid in front of that cooktop when there is an explosion I don't think you are going to want to hear about statistical averages. There is clearly a problem with the safety of this item. How many more are going to fail over time as these trailers go bumping down the road year after year?

Based on what has been brought forth regarding the rigid gas lines disconnecting from the burners it appears to be a design/manufacturing defect but that is what the NHTSA needs to investigate.
Did you not read about them having a meeting on these stoves today (Wednesday, May 19)?

First they will have multiple meetings for clarification. Then they will contact the owners, KV Group, to initiate change. I don't like it, but that's how business works. My guess is this process will take at least a month. Despite what consumers expect, the business world is not perfect.
Patience grasshopper.

Our left burner still works without leaking and can be easily removed for inspection. Hopefully I'll remove the stove this week and will post what I see.

The first thing I did notice is that there is no gas shutoff for the stove. I'll blame Rease and Tammy for that faux pas.

Tomorrow I'll be trying to contact NHTSA about my experience. Will the others do the same? Probably not all. It takes multiple complaints to make change.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-19-2021, 10:09 AM   #153

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Gas shut off: I have asked for them on my current build sheet configuration. Joldie replied the production manager said no.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:17 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Did you not read about them having a meeting on these stoves today (Wednesday, May 19)?

First they will have multiple meetings for clarification. Then they will contact the owners, KV Group, to initiate change. I don't like it, but that's how business works. My guess is this process will take at least a month. Despite what consumers expect, the business world is not perfect.
Patience grasshopper.

Our left burner still works without leaking and can be easily removed for inspection. Hopefully I'll remove the stove this week and will post what I see.

The first thing I did notice is that there is no gas shutoff for the stove. I'll blame Rease and Tammy for that faux pas.

Tomorrow I'll be trying to contact NHTSA about my experience. Will the others do the same? Probably not all. It takes multiple complaints to make change.
Perry: I did read about the meeting which is a positive development. I don't have any (burned) skin in this game. Just trying to do what I can to help prevent others from experiencing a potentially dangerous explosion in their Escape. It is reasonable to expect anyone with one of these stoves to be very concerned and looking to Escape and Suburban for some answers. Thank you for reporting it to the NHTSA. I just posted the direct link above.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:38 AM   #155

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I remember having to sign for a package from Escape Trailer for the brackets they wanted me(not a shop) to bolt our Solar Panel through the roof. They were obviously concerned about liability as there were perhaps a handful panels coming off.

This situation is potentially much more serious and one would think they would be putting out a Do Not Use to existing customers and stop installing at the factory- immediately until this is resolved.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:46 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Gas shut off: I have asked for them on my current build sheet configuration. Joldie replied the production manager said no.
There is a gas shut off, on each of the propane tanks. And there are restrictions as far as how gas lines are run on the inside, so to add a shut off inside would contravene those regulations.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:21 AM   #157

Trailer: 2018 17B
I will need my propane open to run the refrigerator and water heater. I do not want to use this dangerous stove so it would help to have a gas shut off just to the stove. I plan on cooking outside until I can replace this Suburban.
Calicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:29 AM   #158

Trailer: 2011 15b
So sorry that happened to you Granna, a very scary situation. Hope you heal quickly and please keep us updated.
I feel for people who have this stove and are not on this forum and therefore could be totally unaware of a potential life threatening issue.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #159

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I remember having to sign for a package from Escape Trailer for the brackets they wanted me(not a shop) to bolt our Solar Panel through the roof. They were obviously concerned about liability as there were perhaps a handful panels coming off.

This situation is potentially much more serious and one would think they would be putting out a Do Not Use to existing customers and stop installing at the factory- immediately until this is resolved.
Ross, not sure I agree that this situation is potentially MORE serious. A solar panel flying off a trailer could go through someone’s windshield and kill them. But I would agree it is equally serious. And if I owned one of those stoves and had been injured by it, especially after the manufacturer had become aware of numerous injuries, I would be consulting an attorney as well as sending a complaint to the NTSB.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #160

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Quote:
There is a gas shut off, on each of the propane tanks. And there are restrictions as far as how gas lines are run on the inside, so to add a shut off inside would contravene those regulations.
I may “ contravene” that then as I would like to have more than a single shut off like I do at home for separate appliances. I do realize that creates more interior connections.

What was relayed to me was ETI said, “Never done it.”