Quick Connect Propane Option - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2022, 03:33 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosby View Post
This is what I bought on Amazon last year
Cuisinart CGG-306 Chef's Style Portable Propane Tabletop, Professional Gas Grill, Two-Burner, Stainless Steel
Apparently it's discontinued:
DISCONTINUED CHEF'S STYLE STAINLESS TABLETOP GRILL
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:57 AM   #22

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
I purchased a CampChef grill. I bought a 10 foot flexible propane hose, and installed the proper male and female connections so I could connect the hose to the grill and other end to trailer without regulator. Works great.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:15 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021 21c
I use a campchef 2 burner grill, with flattop griddle, bbq box, and artisan oven. I changed the connection to a quick release and bought 20’ quick connect hose. The regulator on the trailers propane tanks works great. I also changed the connection on my Kuma gas fire pit. All for a few dollars on Amazon. Took a few minutes to change. Save the factory supplied hoses with regulator install a quick connect on the hose that way you could run them off a propane bottle without having to connect to the trailer. I wouldn’t have ordered the oven with my trailer had I known how great the artisan oven works
Akfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 05:48 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17B
I need some help here. I have tried two different camp stoves (Napoleon 285 and Weber Traveler) with my external quick connect propane and a 12ft hose. The flame on the stoves is so low that it barely burning. Not hot enough to cook anything.
I removed the regulators on both but can't seem to get enough propane pressure to generate a flame worth cooking on. Any advice?
zsbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 10:38 PM   #25

Trailer: 2012 E19
My new-to-me 2012 19' has the LP quick-connect by the door. At first I was a bit excited about this feature, but now it seems more like a useless appendage (like an extra left foot ) than a benefit.

I have a number of things that can run on a 1 lb disposable LP bottle, that I might want to hook to the trailer's LP system:
Weber Q100 grill
2-burner camp grill, 40 years old, not sure of brand
single burner butane/propane dual fuel burner, GasOne
Portable Buddy heater
Coleman BlackCat catalytic heater

Since all of these are made to run on a disposable tank, obviously each and every one of these must currently possess a built-in regulator. Otherwise the little bottle has waaay to much pressure (same with a 20 lb tank). So I'm thinking to myself, why would I ever want to remove all these regulators when I can simply turn off one of my 20 lb tanks, unscrew its hose, and attach an auxiliary hose between the tank and the appliance? The tanks are not very far away from the quick-connect; if a hose will reach one, there's a pretty good chance it will reach the other. Besides, if I removed all those regulators, none of the appliances would function with a disposable bottle (like if I want to use them farther away than the hose will reach).

I don't see the point of the quick-connect. For me, it's a dud!
Old 08-28-2023, 01:49 AM   #26
GPS

Trailer: 17A 2021
Well. It sounds like you carry around a lot more than what others do, so yeah, might not be a good fit for you. For me, one stove, its my outdoor kitchen. I think that's its intended purpose.
GPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 07:48 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Like several other features of the Escapes the outdoor hookup is a very usable feature if that’s your camping style. We use ours on occasion with our campfire in a can, others use their’s with some high quality stoves and ovens with just a connecting hose.

I do not believe the one pound cans of propane are economical or environmentally friendly and I’m not interested in bleeding propane off of the main tanks to refill them.

Personally I prefer my 11 lb propane tank that is refillable just like the bigger tanks and easily potable for remote use away from the trailer. I keep it in the front box and have for years. One refill per year usually does it for me.
At the end of the season I use it to run my Weber Q at home till it’s empty, get it refilled before spring and put it back in the front box for another season. I have a convenient hardware store where I get iit refilled for less than 1/3 the per pound cost of a disposable cylinder.
To each his own.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-28-2023, 07:53 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Have been using the quick connect on my 2013 19' for 10 years with a portable grill and for our fire bowl. Is so much more convenient to use than carrying a separate tank or disconnecting/connecting directly to the tanks on the trailer.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 08:49 AM   #29

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
I power up my Camp Chef Ranger stove and with the 20" griddle attachment on it and my Weber Q-1200 BBQ.

I also have a nice Blackstone 27" griddle that works super with it, but I am now leaving it at home since I picked up the other griddle.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 09:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Maine View Post
I power up my Camp Chef Ranger stove and with the 20" griddle attachment on it and my Weber Q-1200 BBQ.

I also have a nice Blackstone 27" griddle that works super with it, but I am now leaving it at home since I picked up the other griddle.
Okay, so that's 3 separate items. Did you remove the regulators from all of them, or are you saying they all work fine despite the gas being regulated twice?
Old 08-28-2023, 09:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS View Post
Well. It sounds like you carry around a lot more than what others do, so yeah, might not be a good fit for you. For me, one stove, its my outdoor kitchen. I think that's its intended purpose.
I don't carry them all at once, but I bought them all for camping and want them for that purpose, so any of them might get packed for one trip or another. I agree, if it were only one item to modify and if I never would use a 1 lb bottle on it again for any reason, it would make sense.
Old 08-28-2023, 12:01 PM   #32

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Okay, so that's 3 separate items. Did you remove the regulators from all of them, or are you saying they all work fine despite the gas being regulated twice?
The Blackstone and CampChef are designed to work with low pressure gas and the Weber I just had to remove the regulator that came with it from my local ACE hardware store. I also have two 12' extension hoses and a Y adaptor just to have when needed. Works slick.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 12:31 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
My new-to-me 2012 19' has the LP quick-connect by the door. At first I was a bit excited about this feature, but now it seems more like a useless appendage (like an extra left foot ) than a benefit.

I have a number of things that can run on a 1 lb disposable LP bottle, that I might want to hook to the trailer's LP system:
Weber Q100 grill
2-burner camp grill, 40 years old, not sure of brand
single burner butane/propane dual fuel burner, GasOne
Portable Buddy heater
Coleman BlackCat catalytic heater

Since all of these are made to run on a disposable tank, obviously each and every one of these must currently possess a built-in regulator. Otherwise the little bottle has waaay to much pressure (same with a 20 lb tank). So I'm thinking to myself, why would I ever want to remove all these regulators when I can simply turn off one of my 20 lb tanks, unscrew its hose, and attach an auxiliary hose between the tank and the appliance? The tanks are not very far away from the quick-connect; if a hose will reach one, there's a pretty good chance it will reach the other. Besides, if I removed all those regulators, none of the appliances would function with a disposable bottle (like if I want to use them farther away than the hose will reach).

I don't see the point of the quick-connect. For me, it's a dud!
I connected a high pressure port (same threads as a disposable bottle) to an Acme fitting, then a regulator and finally a low pressure QD fitting. If I want to use any of my appliances, all modified to run on low pressure, I connect this assembly to a 20-lbs cylinder and can run them anywhere. Like (Iowa) Dave, I do not find the disposables environmentally friendly, and they are far more expensive for the amount of propane you get than when you refill a 20-lbs cylinder. I also have a “Y-fitting” if I want to run two things at once. I also find the trailer’s QD fitting an easy place to attach my manometer should I want to test the trailer’s regulator.

And in regards to the previous post, nothing will work correctly if regulated twice.
Old 08-28-2023, 02:06 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
I ordered the propane connection and never found a use for it. Instead, I picked up a 5lb. refillable tank which allows me to cook wherever I want. I also got a "Y"adapter so I can run my Weber Q Grill and CampChef stove at the same time. The tank mounts on the rear bumper and is super convenient. I keep a small luggage scale on hand to monitor how much propane I have left. The propane connection is a waste of money in my opinion, given nothing works with it unless modified.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6221.jpg  
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 05:47 PM   #35

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Thanks so much!

I bought a Napoleon TravelQ 285 grill and it has a regulator to reduce bottle pressure to 11" WC. Based on your info it looks like this should work without issue.

Do I need to remove the TravelQ regulator or would this still be okay?
I know 2 others who have converted the Napoleon TravelQ 285 for use with the trailer low pressure quick connect. You need to remove the regulator and and put the appropriate hose/connector to connect to your trailer. It is actually quite easy.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 05:51 PM   #36

Too bad ETI doesn't leave those quick-connect lines unregulated. Then just about everything would work on it, without mods.
Old 08-28-2023, 10:33 PM   #37

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Too bad ETI doesn't leave those quick-connect lines unregulated. Then just about everything would work on it, without mods.
Everything with it's own regulator, that is... and nothing designed for low pressure.

It would be unsafe to deliver unregulated propane to an outlet normally used for a regulated supply of low-pressure propane. The RV standard for convenient tank-pressure propane connections is the "needle valve" or "appliance" fitting with 1"-20 thread, as found on a one-pound single-use propane cylinder.

One difficulty in supplying unregulated propane is that the changeover valve is in the regulator, so if the supply is tapped before the regulator, it will be from only one tank. It's common to do that with a simple tee fitting, but it will also draw from whatever tank it is attached to.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 07:42 AM   #38

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Doesn't 'just about everything' designed to work with un-regulated tank pressure have a hose with a Type-1 male fitting?

Or even 'worse', fitting for a disposable tank on the appliance, either which would require some sort of mod / adaptor for mating with a high-pressure (tank-pressure) quick-disconnect (QD) fitting if that were provided on the trailer?

Personally, I'm happy to not have any lines or fittings at tank-pressure running under my trailer (tank pressure being ~145psi or greater depending on temperature; regulated ~11"WC pressure being <0.5psi).

It's easy enough to convert most appliances with a regulator to 'already regulated' supply / extension hose, and if desired one can use low-pressure QD fittings at the appliance to facilitate quick-swap between the appliance OE regulator hose (allowing direct connection to a tank) OR an 'already regulated supply' extension hose (allowing connection to the RV industry standard QD fitting).

YMMV.
Old 08-29-2023, 08:18 AM   #39

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosby View Post
This is what I bought on Amazon last year
Cuisinart CGG-306 Chef's Style Portable Propane Tabletop, Professional Gas Grill, Two-Burner, Stainless Steel
Hmmm, thanks for that mention. I've had a two-burner Napoleon TQ-285 sitting in my Amazon cart for a while but at half the price I pulled the trigger on the two-burner Cuisinart due to arrive today.

Pros-and-cons to each but I'm gonna at least check out the Cuisinart, the overall package size and shape, latching lid for carrying, and a few other details make it attractive to me (YMMV) .... we'll see ....
Old 08-29-2023, 08:44 AM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
It’s fairly common in the west to camp in Forest Service campgrounds where the site is a little tight and sometimes the picnic table is up on a graded deck or down below from where the trailer is parked. I don’t mind carrying my Weber Q, the 11 lb cylinder and the hose to the picnic table. Then I get whatever I’m.cooking, two beers and my trusty camp chair and set down, off from the camper a little ways. and contemplate the day and it’s remains. Helps me to unwind. And since I never lifted barbells, keeps my guns in shape.
Iowa Dave