Road debris damage to fiberglass underbody - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2022, 06:57 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by wr9r View Post
Update information:

When I contacted Escape to see what type of resin and mat to use on the fiberglass repairs, they did not answer my questions, but suggested going to a boat repair facility or an auto/RV center that are familiar with such repairs.

Senior Member Willy B suggested I check with Crain Collision Center of Conway (AR) for fiberglass repair. After looking at the trailer, here is their estimate:
- - - - - - -
Body Labor 17.0 hrs @ $165.00 / hr $2,805.00
Paint Labor 15.0 hrs @ $165.00/ hr $2,475.00
Paint 15.0 hrs @ $50.00/ hr 750.00
Body Supplies 17 hrs @ $10.00/ hr 170.00
Total $6,200.00
- - - - - - - -
I about choked when I saw the total, so I stopped by to see if there was any room to negotiate on the basis of total hours or cash payment. After all, I thought fiberglass repair involved layering, and each layer would not require an entire hour. They apparently bill for a whole hour even if only part of an hour is actual work. Bottom line – no negotiation – take it or leave it.

For that amount of money I can buy equipment, supplies, and get lots of practice before doing the job myself!

Are the hours estimate and the charges involved reasonable? I have attached another photo that shows the size of the hole in the fiberglass underneath the trailer behind the left rear tire.
For that kind of money, I would fly to and from Ar and do it for you. Like you said, get a couple of pieces of plywood and do a couple of test patches. You can do this.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote