Tire life expectancy - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2023, 10:18 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Tire life expectancy

Yesterday I ran the 21NE to the tire shop to have the brakes inspected/adjusted, and looking over the wheels with the tech, noticed how much wear I had on the original tires (purchased trailer fall 2020). They were down to 1/16” of tread left. So I bought a new set for $525 installed.

I don’t keep much of a log of trips, but the best estimate (based on old reservations, calendars etc) I could come up with shows there’s no way I could have towed more than 8,000 miles on the original tires.

The wear was very even, no inside/outside dominant wear (indicating no axle issues or alignment problems). The tire guy took a lot of time to chat about it, telling me I should expect a lot more mileage out of them (he’s personally had almost 40k miles on his trailer tires).

I’m wondering what kind of mileage others have gotten on their original tires? Seems to me one should get at least around 10k - 15k, perhaps more.

Oh, and I forgot to write down the name of the brand, and they’re gone now…
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 12:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I never knock another man’s equipment. I do relate experiences however. Here are three positives. I got about 30,000 miles on a set of Goodyear marathons on our 19 plus what they had on them when we bought it used. They are no longer available. Second tire experience: .My first set of Goodyear Endurance were installed when we got the 21 in 2017. By last spring they had between 32000 and 40,000 miles on them as they had been rotated in a five tire rotation. They still have 3/32, 4/32 and 5/32 tread left. I kept a a few for use on my utility trailer which is towed well under 1000 miles a year with a light load. Third experience: A friend stopped by our home on his way to Canada and Alaska. He had new tires on the trailer. He had three spares in his tow vehicle truck bed. They were Carlyses. They had 42,000 miles on each tire and looked good with about 4/32 tread.

Both my visitor and I rotate tires religiously, we balance the side to side load, tow with about 80 to 85 percent of max trailer weight, and have 500 lbs on the tongue. Accurate, often checked inflation at 56 lbs pressure is where I run my tires. Used to tow at 60 but I like the way the trailer rides at 56 a little better.

Four things I use all the time
1. Tire pressure tester
2. Tread depth gauge ( auto parts stores have them)
3. Thermal point and shoot temperature gauge to check hub, brake and tire temp for uniformity all around when I stop for gas or lunch or a rest stop break.
4. An accurate 1/2 inch drive torque wrench with 6 inch extension and the correct impact socket. Nothing wrong with the very reasonably priced Harbor Freight wrench.

I tow at about 55 to 60 mph and mostly on two lane roads. I’m easy on brakes, I service my own wheel bearings and adjust my own brakes. I make sure I have the big nut that holds the hub and the lug nuts torqued right. 8 Foot pounds or so on the hub nut and 95 foot pounds on the lug nuts ( star tightening pattern.)
I am a believer in balanced trailer tires. I tow as close to dead level as I can using the Anderson WDH.
As I’ve related before, I crawl under the trailer for inspection after most trips of any distance.
I works for me. Use a good light to make sure there’s no grease getting past the inner seal.

Methodical maintenance is how I was raised by my Dad who was 3rd Armored “Spearhead” in World War Two. 32nd Armored Regiment. Company B call sign “Oriole”. Motto
“Victory or Death” I honor his memory by doing maintenance on my equipment whenever I can. I consider it a privilege. Others may have differing experiences or opinions.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-07-2023, 03:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Felix2- I would bet the tire dealer remembered the brand. Our first set on the trailer when new were Carlisle load rating C tires and they didn't last that long. I'm on my fifth set of tires now; the current and previous being Goodyear Endurance. Had two sets of Maxxis before that. Seems the load rating D do last a bit better.

What brand did you get?
Old 07-07-2023, 04:39 PM   #4

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Our front set of tires were replaced at 4,000 miles, along with the Dexter axle. The back set were replaced at 7,000 miles along with the Dexter axle. At 44,000 miles all four tires were replaced last fall, so the front set went 40,000 miles and the back set 37, 000 miles, and we could have easily gotten another 5-10,000 miles, but I don’t wait until they’re bald.

My hope is to get 30,000 miles out of a set of trailer tires. OTOH we’ve never put 44,000 miles on any of our campers before. Might have something to do with we’re now both retired and travel 5 months of the year.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-08-2023, 05:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Felix2- I would bet the tire dealer remembered the brand. Our first set on the trailer when new were Carlisle load rating C tires and they didn't last that long. I'm on my fifth set of tires now; the current and previous being Goodyear Endurance. Had two sets of Maxxis before that. Seems the load rating D do last a bit better.

What brand did you get?
Rossue. Curious as to why you changed from Maxxis to Endurance? I’m running Maxxis and so far have been very impressed with both their performance and wear. Thx.
land’SCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote