Vaccines are here! Have you started your series? - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2021, 12:51 PM   #221

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Fantastic news. My "immunity" day is this Friday. Linda has about a month to go for her "immunity".
Old 03-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #222

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Immunity is a bit strong a word for the reality. You can still pass it on, maybe contract it. Still need to keep your distance and mask up.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:01 PM   #223

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Colorado got a big wave of vaccine this week. I got my Pfizer first shot two days ago.

It is starting to become widely available now.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:06 PM   #224

Trailer: 2015 Oliver LEII
We have our Johnson & Johnson vaccines scheduled for Friday this week.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:22 PM   #225

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Immunity is a bit strong a word for the reality. You can still pass it on, maybe contract it. Still need to keep your distance and mask up.
truth.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:41 AM   #226

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
24 hours later

The morning after the first Moderna and donating blood that afternoon, I still feel great. Now it”s just wait for the 2nd, but at least it’s started now.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:43 AM   #227
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
After I got my jab, and am now waiting for my daughter and family to rotate into an allowable age group, I understand what my own Mother must have felt when I got the polio vaccine in the mid-1950s. Major relief!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:23 AM   #228

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA in about a year. Lol
Second one April 10th.
1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:02 AM   #229

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
I’m not eligible in MO for another couple of weeks but a friend alerted me of “extras” available on March 19 at a mass vaccination site and anyone was welcome! A short drive away and a short wait and my first Pfizer dose is done!

It was emotional for me too, Donna, not because the pandemic restrictions have been difficult for me because they haven’t and I’ve still been camping at my property monthly and hiking with friends at safe distances. But because I’m a former microbiologist and hospital laboratory manager and this is an historic occasion. I love science and am still fascinated by infectious diseases and immune processes and our journey in understanding and attempts to control and mitigate them.

I’m meeting up with four friends in the Great Smokies in late April and it’s working out that all five of us should be about two weeks past second inoculation! I’m sure we’ll still keep our distances. It’s probably going to be my habit for the rest of my life.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:09 AM   #230

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I understand what my own Mother must have felt when I got the polio vaccine in the mid-1950s. Major relief!
For sure! My daughter-in-law has been fully vaccinated for a while since she’s a teacher in OR and my son just received an appointment for his first this month.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:23 AM   #231

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
The youngest members of my local camping pod got first doses now-so that is a big relief. My family still needs to catch up but hopefully that will come soon.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:44 AM   #232

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
That's not likely though. To be clear, a small number of people getting any vaccine fail to develop antibodies. That's why health care workers have to be tested for antibodies and not just show a vaccine record to work in many hospitals (I'm talking pre-pandemic here. My wife had to get the MMR again when she started at a hospital because her testing showed she was not immune to one of the three viruses).

I know the medical community has been pushing this line that people could be vaccinated, become safe from illness, and yet still potentially contagious. They are probably trying to keep people wearing masks while we work through the entire population. But we've never made a vaccine that worked like that (meaning a vaccine where you can still contract, incubate, and shed large amounts of virus but you no longer have any symptoms).

I think they should be careful not to sell these vaccines short. I'd rather they try to generate enthusiasm among those still on the fence while being honest with the rest of us who are already vaccinated. I don't mind playing along and continuing to wear my mask in public spaces.

Once we get to ~75% to 85% of the population vaccinated, we can put this pandemic in the rear view mirror. Excepting new variants, and probably a need for booster shots going forward much like flu now (but hopefully less variants and better effectiveness).
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:48 AM   #233

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Mutation. Variations.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:53 AM   #234

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
That's not likely though. To be clear, a small number of people getting any vaccine fail to develop antibodies. That's why health care workers have to be tested for antibodies and not just show a vaccine record to work in many hospitals (I'm talking pre-pandemic here. My wife had to get the MMR again when she started at a hospital because her testing showed she was not immune to one of the three viruses).

I know the medical community has been pushing this line that people could be vaccinated, become safe from illness, and yet still potentially contagious. They are probably trying to keep people wearing masks while we work through the entire population. But we've never made a vaccine that worked like that (meaning a vaccine where you can still contract, incubate, and shed large amounts of virus but you no longer have any symptoms).

I think they should be careful not to sell these vaccines short. I'd rather they try to generate enthusiasm among those still on the fence while being honest with the rest of us who are already vaccinated. I don't mind playing along and continuing to wear my mask in public spaces.

Once we get to ~75% to 85% of the population vaccinated, we can put this pandemic in the rear view mirror. Excepting new variants, and probably a need for booster shots going forward much like flu now (but hopefully less variants and better effectiveness).
Agree with this. Some folks may choose to wear a mask from now on, and thats fine, others of us, not so much.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:57 AM   #235

Quote:
Mutation. Variations.
The vaccines we have are effective against the variants currently in circulation. Again.....I think a message that the vaccines are not going to end social distancing and mask use is very counterproductive. And also not correct. But that's my opinion.

As for mutations, that's the big risk down the road. The developed countries have made vaccines and are getting them to their own people. But if parts of the world continue to host and share this virus for a few more years because they don't get these vaccines, they will probably mutate new variants that all of us are no longer immune to.

Oh, and in keeping with the real subject of this thread, I got my second dose of the Phizer shot yesterday morning. I experienced little more that a sore arm at the injection site, really no big deal for me. A coworker got his shot same time, also no ill effects.

My parents got their second shots a couple weeks ago (also Phizer) and had almost no symptoms. In a conversation with their doctor, she said that no ill effects seemed to be more the norm with older people. That's anecdotal, but the doctor does see a lot of patients.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:10 AM   #236

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Had my second Moderna Wednesday . I felt great all day Wednesday. Thursday morning I was a little light headed and by 4 pm all of sudden very tired . Went to bed and this morning am feeling like myself again. It great felling knowing I have some immunity. My wife gets her second this afternoon.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:10 PM   #237

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I understand what my own Mother must have felt when I got the polio vaccine in the mid-1950s. Major relief!
Indeed. I think polio was a lot scarier-- it killed and crippled young people and I believe it was more contagious than COVID.

When I was a child I was not allowed to take the polio or smallpox vaccines, among others. I don't recall why; it had something to do with allergies. I am rare among my age group for not having a smallpox vaccine scar on my arm.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:24 AM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Indeed. I think polio was a lot scarier-- it killed and crippled young people and I believe it was more contagious than COVID.
My aunt was affected by polio just a couple years before the inactivated vaccine became available. It permanently crippled one leg.

Polio is actually less communicable than Covid, and is quite different. The US saw polio oubreaks every summer until the late 1950's but the outbreaks tended to be regional or even local due to the very different mechanisms of transmission. Polio causes no symptoms in about 90% of infected people, but in some 1-2% of children who get it, it can proceed to a terrifying spinal infection that can cause permanent damage or even death.

Most Americans have not even seen what so many of these diseases (Polio, Measles, Mumps, Diptheria) are even like, they've been gone for so long.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #239
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post

Most Americans have not even seen what so many of these diseases (Polio, Measles, Mumps, Diptheria) are even like, they've been gone for so long.
So true JefferyG! I somehow missed contracting Chicken Pox as a child so when my sister brought it home, we were both in our young 20's. She was a Pre-school teacher (picked it up from one of her kids) and I was in college in nursing school doing our maternity rotation, no less. Ugh. What a scare for those young mothers I was just around, but thankfully, they were fine.

I however, had the absolute worst case for 3 very long weeks - extremely painful and awful - thought I was going to die at one point. Some of these 'childhood' diseases are much worse in adults. Also thought I would have to drop out of nursing school, but my dear friends recorded and hand wrote all the lecture notes for me and my instructors were very understanding and somehow I was able to continue when I recovered. Felt like a miracle all around.

That experience has made me truly thankful for what feels like the 'gift' of vaccinations in our day and age. One time in my career, I was the 'travel nurse' and would make sure all those traveling were up to date on required immunizations before traveling abroad. I enjoyed that. This week my Hubby and I just got our 2nd Covid shots - we are so very grateful. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:42 PM   #240

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Second shot Tuesday. Son has both due to being employed at the University. AZ opened to everyone over 17 on Wed and wife and daughter got two appts with first shot last night.
We’re almost all done.
Pray that everyone can get through in each of ur states, but it’s looking good as promised that anyone who wants one should be able to get it by June.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote