RVLOCK installed on 2017 21' Escape - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2017, 10:20 AM   #61

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
The new Compact model is 4.25” tall x 4.5” wide. I haven’t gone over yet to see if the smaller width will fit the Classic.
More bling for the trailer . Let us know if it will fit . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:09 PM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
The new Compact model is 4.25” tall x 4.5” wide. I haven’t gone over yet to see if the smaller width will fit the Classic.
I can tell you the compact model probably won't fit on the classic door. The rise in the door surface is right next to the lock installed by the factory, and even the "compact" RVlock is wider than the stock one.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:34 PM   #63

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Fooey!

Edit: 3.47 x 4.28 is what I found looking on a site at what seems to be our present lock. So the compact one may fit. The 3.47 is width. Or maybe the compact is just a little too wide.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:09 PM   #64

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
After measuring, Compact definitely won’t fit on Classic.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:15 PM   #65

Quote:
No bling Pat
Old 11-24-2017, 11:16 PM   #66
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Fooey!

Edit: 3.47 x 4.28 is what I found looking on a site at what seems to be our present lock. So the compact one may fit. The 3.47 is width. Or maybe the compact is just a little too wide.
Yes, my FIC lock (a replacement white metal one for the stock black plastic one) is also that size. But...

Quote:
As I suspected. The raised section of the door is right next to the lock - and just looking at the compact one in photos, it's definitely wider than stock.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:19 PM   #67

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I’m going to send them a pic and see if they could build one with the controls on the top that would fit. Worth asking, they’re pretty responsive.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:22 PM   #68

Quote:
I’m going to send them a pic and see if they could build one with the controls on the top that would fit. Worth asking, they’re pretty responsive.
Maybe more bling ?Pat
Old 11-24-2017, 11:27 PM   #69
Site Team

Quote:
It's worth a shot I suppose. Here's a graphic I made that is roughly to scale in order to show the stock width vs the RVLock "compact" width.

The second photo is my door with the factory lock. Obviously, no room to the right.
Attached Thumbnails
RV lock size comparison.png   Stock Door Lock.jpg  
Old 11-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #70

Trailer: Escape 1721
Installed the RVLock 4.0 today. Instillation was easy and took about 15 minutes. I did have to create the two notches as Red Dog noted in his pics. It looks great and appears to be very sturdy. Looking forward to using it out in the wild.

The only thing I don't like is the volume of the tone that occurs when you lock or unlock it via the keypad or remote. It's kinda loud and I don't think you can disable it. Other than that, it's a really nice upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
RVLock1.jpg   RVLock2.jpg  
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:49 PM   #71

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
The only thing I don't like is the volume of the tone that occurs when you lock or unlock it via the keypad or remote. It's kinda loud and I don't think you can disable it. Other than that, it's a really nice upgrade.
You may be in luck. Several Amazon reviews complained of the same thing. Too loud. There was one enterprising owner who figured out how to disable all sounds. See attached. RVLock weighed in with a clarification to simply unplug the white circuit board. The only disadvantage is you will lose the beep that tells you the batteries in the handle are running low. Hope this helps. I don't have this lock so obviously haven't done this myself. Let us know if it works.

Another thought is if you remove the sound board and can get to the speaker you may be able to put a piece of tape over it. It may mute the sound just enough to be more tolerable and maintain full functionality of the device.
Attached Thumbnails
rvlock disable sound.JPG   sound board.JPG  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:51 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It's worth a shot I suppose. Here's a graphic I made that is roughly to scale in order to show the stock width vs the RVLock "compact" width.

The second photo is my door with the factory lock. Obviously, no room to the right.
I suppose if someone really really wanted a keyless lock, it could go below the other one, further down the door, and have two locks. Maybe if it were white, it would kinda blend in! . Two for the security conscious.

Or remove the first one and put one of those "Made in British Columbia" stickers!
Old 11-30-2017, 02:56 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I suppose if someone really really wanted a keyless lock, it could go below the other one, further down the door, and have two locks. Maybe if it were white, it would kinda blend in!
You know that might work .It might look a little silly with 2 locks though .Pat
Old 11-30-2017, 03:05 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
You know that might work .It might look a little silly with 2 locks though .Pat
Pat, I think I would change the black lock to white and get another white and nobody would notice hehe.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:36 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
You may be in luck. Several Amazon reviews complained of the same thing. Too loud. There was one enterprising owner who figured out how to disable all sounds. See attached. RVLock weighed in with a clarification to simply unplug the white circuit board. The only disadvantage is you will lose the beep that tells you the batteries in the handle are running low. Hope this helps. I don't have this lock so obviously haven't done this myself. Let us know if it works.

Another thought is if you remove the sound board and can get to the speaker you may be able to put a piece of tape over it. It may mute the sound just enough to be more tolerable and maintain full functionality of the device.
Thank you for sharing this information! I was able to eliminate the sound by removing the small speaker which is nothing more than a small disk. I tired putting multiple pieces of tape over the speaker, but that didn't reduce the sound as much as I had hoped. I also tried removing the circuit board plug, but that didn't work either. Now it's perfect and it even lights up at night when you touch the keypad. Thanks again, rubicon.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:35 PM   #76

Quote:
Thank you for sharing this information! I was able to eliminate the sound by removing the small speaker which is nothing more than a small disk. I tired putting multiple pieces of tape over the speaker, but that didn't reduce the sound as much as I had hoped. I also tried removing the circuit board plug, but that didn't work either. Now it's perfect and it even lights up at night when you touch the keypad. Thanks again, rubicon.
Nice.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:29 AM   #77

Quote:
Now it's perfect and it even lights up at night when you touch the keypad.
I would just remember to keep a key outside the trailer like RVLock recommends (hidden in tow vehicle?). This is even more critical for you now with no sounds because you will not get the fast beeping before the lock actuates that will alert you that the batteries are getting low and ready to be changed.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:17 AM   #78

Quote:
I would just remember to keep a key outside the trailer like RVLock recommends (hidden in tow vehicle?). This is even more critical for you now with no sounds because you will not get the fast beeping before the lock actuates that will alert you that the batteries are getting low and ready to be changed.
Agreed. Door keys are on key-chains which will stay in the truck and house. I wish RVLock could program they keypad so you could enter a certain combination to turn off the door lock/unlock tone (like they have for initial setup), but keep the beep when you use the keypad. Or they could allow for a volume control on the door lock/unlock tone. That would give buyers/users setup customization options.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:33 AM   #79

Quote:
I wish RVLock could program they keypad so you could enter a certain combination to turn off the door lock/unlock tone (like they have for initial setup), but keep the beep when you use the keypad. Or they could allow for a volume control on the door lock/unlock tone. That would give buyers/users setup customization options.
Call them and let them know. Any good company listens to the concerns of their customers and wants to continually improve their product. Maybe v5.0 will have it.

Why do you think that the Tastykake Krimpet icing no longer comes off onto the plastic package when you open it? I called a comment line in college and told them we put men on the moon, but can't keep the Krimpet icing on a Krimpet? My wife still doesn't believe that they did it because of my call, but a few months later there was a slight oily film on the plastic and it no longer sticks.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #80

Quote:
Call them and let them know. Any good company listens to the concerns of their customers and wants to continually improve their product. Maybe v5.0 will have it.

Why do you think that the Tastykake Krimpet icing no longer comes off onto the plastic package when you open it? I called a comment line in college and told them we put men on the moon, but can't keep the Krimpet icing on a Krimpet? My wife still doesn't believe that they did it because of my call, but a few months later there was a slight oily film on the plastic and it no longer sticks.
Good idea. A thought about adding new tone management feature has been submitted via the form on their website. It will be interesting to see if they respond.