Awning & belly band alert for 2nd Gen trailers - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
With all those adjusting screws on that piece of aluminum, what function do those 2 big hex bolts perform. If they are tight, how do the adjusting screws work?
Read the manual. They adjust the arms so they go into the case properly. There are 2 different adjustments that can be made on that piece.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #62

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Will do that....
Old 05-07-2017, 06:26 PM   #63

I would think that in most cases you will be told to take it to a authorized Dometic repair shop of these adjustments. I just posted the information to get more information out there on the awning.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #64

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Not really going to help those not attending rally . Pat

True, but that is one main reason I am attending it. I like asking others with similar rigs for their ideas. Then, I can pass along what I have learned to others in the future.

Cheers!

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:33 PM   #65

Quote:
Fred, excellent suggestion, how about emailing Escape with it and maybe we all can attend a 30 minute seminar.

I do believe I will do just that!

Fred M.

...never had an Escape"
Old 05-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #66

Trailer: 2018 19'
Excellent idea! Wish there were more of these types of educational activities planned for those who are newbies.
Mucram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:51 PM   #67

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I think we could use a short tutorial at the Osoyoos Rally to show those of us with the electric awning how to make these adjustments. Seeing someone demonstrate the procedure makes much more sense to me than "reading the manual"...

Fred M.
Excellent idea, Fred.

And thanks for all the great input you have given with what you have learned, Tom.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #68

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
True, but that is one main reason I am attending it. I like asking others with similar rigs for their ideas. Then, I can pass along what I have learned to others in the future.

Cheers!

Fred M.
Fred too far away for us . Really don't have any use for this information anyway . We have tried and uncomplicated awning . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #69

Quote:
Fred too far away for us . Really don't have any use for this information anyway . We have tried and uncomplicated awning . Pat

Good for you!

Fred M.

...never had an Escape"
Old 05-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #70

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
Excellent idea! Wish there were more of these types of educational activities planned for those who are newbies.

Our local college runs an RV trades program and has a public "weekend seminar" in the summer. Perhaps a college local to you runs similar?

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...inar-5246.html

Plus, the Escapees group have a boot camp that may or may not be convenient for you to attend.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #71

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think I am more interested in the Escape options versus generic RVing education, but for others that is a good alternative.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #72

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
I think I am more interested in the Escape options versus generic RVing education, but for others that is a good alternative.

I am signed up again this year for the OK College weekend.

Truth be told, while I learned stuff in the classroom sessions, it was the time spent around the (propane) campfire that really is drawing me back for another year.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:46 AM   #73

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
The ramps are attached to the trailer and are a separate piece but appear to be a accessory of the awning or else someone did a very nice job making them and having them power coated. ETI could answer your question better than I.

Dometic is already replacing the one awning that was damaged under warranty.
with regard to the "ramp" parts and a Dometic Support inquiry to see if they made the "ramp" part riveted to the fiberglass and about the awning warranty if the awning is retracted and hooks on the "ramp" thus damaging the awning.

attached photo..
------------------------
"Thank you for contacting Dometic. Based on the photos the part the arrow is pointing to is not a Dometic part."

"If an additional part was installed for that awning and it causes damages, you would need to be speak with who installed that awning to see if they will cover that repair. Our warranty is on manufacturing defects only. "
------------------------
so for the trailer owner who had a damaged awning and if it was caused by hooking the "ramps"..perhaps lucky Dometic replaced it.
for the rest of us who may have this awning installed like this, probably need to always make sure the awning is adjusted correctly and to be vigilant when the awning is retracting so as to prevent it from hooking the "ramps"... else a simple little "ramp" thingie may cause a very expensive out of pocket repair bill.

with regard to the previous "doom and gloom" accusations by some posters in this or any thread ....perhaps it's a good thing to ask "what ifs" in a thread when discussing an issue.....
....it certainly is a good thing to ask "what ifs" when designing something.
Attached Thumbnails
Dometic Powered Awning mtd on Trailer - Copy.jpg  
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #74

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
with regard to the "ramp" parts and a Dometic Support inquiry to see if they made the "ramp" part riveted to the fiberglass and about the awning warranty if the awing is retracted and hooks on the "ramp" thus damaging the awning.

attached photo..
------------------------
"Thank you for contacting Dometic. Based on the photos the part the arrow is pointing to is not a Dometic part."

"If an additional part was installed for that awning and it causes damages, you would need to be speak with who installed that awning to see if they will cover that repair. Our warranty is on manufacturing defects only. "
------------------------
so for the trailer owner who had a damaged awning and if it was caused by hooking the "ramps"..perhaps lucky Dometic replaced it.
for the rest of us who may have this awning installed like this, probably need to always make sure the awning is adjusted correctly and to be vigilant when the awning is retracting so as to prevent it from hooking the "ramps"... else a simple little "ramp" thingie may cause a very expensive out of pocket repair bill.

with regard to the previous "doom and gloom" accusations in this or any thread ....perhaps it's a good thing to ask "what ifs" in a thread when discussing an issue.....it certainly is when designing something.
Jeff I guess I am part of the doom and gloom team , I want to Thankyou . This is very important information for anyone who has this awning install . Whoever has this awning install and doesn't want this information , that is your business . what a headache for everyone Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
with regard to the "ramp" parts and a Dometic Support inquiry to see if they made the "ramp" part riveted to the fiberglass and about the awning warranty if the awing is retracted and hooks on the "ramp" thus damaging the awning.

attached photo..
------------------------

------------------------

perhaps it's a good thing to ask "what ifs" in a thread.....it certainly is when designing something.
Jeff

Your glass always seems to be half empty. I on the other hand try to keep mine half full.

If the awning caught on the ramp that is part of the trailer and damaged the awning due to no fault of my own I would look at ETI for the repair. Since my glass is again half full and having dealt with ETI with 2 trailers over the past 4 years, I have no doubt that they would take care of the problem. No I do not wear rose colored glasses and I do know and expect problems can arise.

I like several others on this forum am growing old and tried of trying to help people that consistently go around with half empty glasses and have a dome and gloom attitude on every subject that is brought up. Sometimes trying to help people is just not worth it and maybe they should just find out on their own.

I'm going camping to my quiet place now and I'm not telling where it's at.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #76

Trailer: pondering.....
Tom ...no disrespect was intended toward anyone and the post was not personal ...merely to share information with others who participated in this thread.
and thank you for posting the pictures of the trailer awning

yes for the 2 year warranty a buyer would look to ETI, but after that?
perhaps an awning mounting design that may not damage the awning is a good thing so the buyer need not be concerned with it before or after the warranty has expired....

Actually this trailer newbies glass is quite empty...hence the desire to learn and discuss issues when they appear on the forum. Perhaps the forum discussion can lead to better solutions. This camper appreciates anyone who is brave enough to post an issue they might have on this forum.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #77

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Jeff

Your glass always seems to be half empty. I on the other hand try to keep mine half full.

If the awning caught on the ramp that is part of the trailer and damaged the awning due to no fault of my own I would look at ETI for the repair. Since my glass is again half full and having dealt with ETI with 2 trailers over the past 4 years, I have no doubt that they would take care of the problem. No I do not wear rose colored glasses and I do know and expect problems can arise.

I like several others on this forum am growing old and tried of trying to help people that consistently go around with half empty glasses and have a dome and gloom attitude on every subject that is brought up. Sometimes trying to help people is just not worth it and maybe they should just find out on their own.

I'm going camping to my quit place now and I'm not telling where it's at.
Excellent post, Tom.

I fully agree that issues should be brought up here, and discussed. This way we will find solutions to things, which is always good. But I am fully on board with the cup half full or half empty thing. One is looking at things from a negative point of view, the other a positive one. As mentioned before, I prefer to live with the latter view. It goes along with the quote in my signature.

I love to help people where I can, but I too find it discouraging when people are only looking for problems. While there have, and will always be, issues with our trailers, there is SO much good associated with them, anything that goes wrong seems puny by comparison.

Have fun in your happy place.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #78
SCS

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
KountryKamper, Jim Bennett, Rubicon and other helpful folks,

I value the information you provide and have already implemented several of your ideas om my trailer. Don't let pessimists discourage you from posting. There is really only a handful of them although they are a noisy bunch.

Steve
SCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #79

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
what a headache for everyone Pat
Is that a selfie?
Old 05-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS View Post
KountryKamper, Jim Bennett, Rubicon and other helpful folks,

Don't let pessimists discourage you from posting. There is really only a handful of them although they are a noisy bunch.

Steve
Yes they are.

Don't miss this one. I know you were having problems with it too.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ord-10207.html