towing with F150 eco boost - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2022, 03:16 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
The Ford F150 with Eco-Boost has been out for a few years now. Does anyone have one with really high mileage on it, like 150,000+? I'm interested in longevity.
Not sure if your interest is the 4-cyl or the V6, but FWIW ....

I've a good friend that's a multi-state field / sales rep for a cast-iron pipe and fire-hydrant manufacturer. He's been driving company 4WD crew-cab F150's with the 3.5 V6 EcoBoost since it came out back in 2011.

He travels loaded with a half-ton+ of cast iron demonstration samples in his covered bed, typically on the order of 200-300k miles between new trucks, has been through 6 or 7 of 'em over those years.

They've not been without any fault, but he's a big fan of 'em, has never mentioned anything he considers an inherent reliability issue, and I've asked that question directly. FWIW that played into my spec'ing that motor over the 5.0 V8 on the truck I recently ordered.

YMMV of course.
Old 05-07-2022, 03:21 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
The Ford F150 with Eco-Boost has been out for a few years now. Does anyone have one with really high mileage on it, like 150,000+? I'm interested in longevity.
Wouldn't you get a better picture from Consumer Reports or some other entity with a larger data base? I'm sure you can find a few people that are really happy with their Toyota, but what does that prove?
Old 05-07-2022, 05:33 PM   #23

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I have the 3.5 Ecoboost on a 2016 model. Its set up ideal for towing, airbags,tow package, towing mirrors and 36 gallon fuel tank. It even came with the industry standard bed rails installed. I bought it used with 26k miles. I love the truck but worry about the longevity of it.. I know these engines have had their issues....but it sure tows my new 5.0 easily
Old 05-07-2022, 06:24 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Wouldn't you get a better picture from Consumer Reports or some other entity with a larger data base? I'm sure you can find a few people that are really happy with their Toyota, but what does that prove?
I am looking for people towing Escape trailers with an F150 EcoBoost who have high mileage on their tow vehicles. I won't find them in Consumer Reports. I might want to consider an F150 if I don't find a Toyota that I like. I tend to keep a vehicle a long time (perhaps too long) so I'm interested in durability.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:12 PM   #25
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
some of you might have seen my Tacoma thread I am considering getting 2022 F150 super cab 4x4 2.7 eco for towing my 19 escape. I like to get some feed back from F150 owners good and bad. this would be my first ford since the 1990's. I few things come to mind

expected MPG towing and not towing?

reliability long term?

will I need tow mirrors for a 19' escape?

will the stock suspension handle the tongue weight and some cargo?

If i order I will get the 36 gallon fuel take, But thats not something you can find on the lot.those without do you wish you had it?

3.55 vs 3.73 read end. If i order I was thinging the 3.55 for better fuel?

Is the inverter worth getting or should i just stick with my honda 2000?

Anything I am over looking?
Good luck getting that F150. I’ve been waiting 11 months now since my order. Still waiting. But it will tow great if/when you get it!
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 10:22 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
While tow mirrors are not “required” on an F150, I love, love, love them when towing my Escape. It give better view of what is behind the trailer. The thing about tow mirrors, if you don’t feel you need them, just don’t extend them. But if you don’t have them and want them, you are out of luck.

I’d always want the bigger tank. My next truck I will order, no taking what’s off the lot. And if I go with the 2.7, I’ll get the optional 2.7 payload package too.

I keep my vehicles a long time. Accepting what the dealer has on the lot doesn’t work for me.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 11:14 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
I keep my vehicles a long time. Accepting what the dealer has on the lot doesn’t work for me.
Historically, I haven't kept my F150s for a long time because they were all leased for less than a 3 year term. The 2021 I just bought is different. Purchased and intend to keep it long term. There's no way I'd have got what I wanted unless I ordered it.
Old 05-08-2022, 12:06 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRL View Post
Good luck getting that F150. I’ve been waiting 11 months now since my order. Still waiting. But it will tow great if/when you get it!
I hear ya, you and the many others in your situation have my empathy for sure.

Much of the delay duration seems to depend on the trim level and features ordered, but that's a constantly shifting landscape and very difficult to predict it seems.

I guess I got lucky (pure chance), the 2022 Lariat I ordered on 12/22/2021 just went to "In Production" status and the Monroney sticker was posted last Wednesday after 8-rescheduled estimated build week notices from Ford. There's every opportunity for more delays before it's actually available to pick up at the dealer, but at least there's apparent progress at last.

Hang in there, we just gotta hope the wait is worth it as it was when I ordered my Escape 5.0 which took a year to receive. At least with the F150 the dealer has price protection from Ford which is passed through to me, I'll be paying the sale price agreed when I ordered in spite of 3 different base and option MSRP increases since then.

The fact that I still have my one-owner 2005 F150 attests to how long I plan to keep this one (knock on wood).
Attached Thumbnails
F150 Window Sticker.jpg  
Old 05-08-2022, 06:37 AM   #29

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I hear ya, you and the many others in your situation have my empathy for sure.

Much of the delay duration seems to depend on the trim level and features ordered, but that's a constantly shifting landscape and very difficult to predict it seems.

I guess I got lucky (pure chance), the 2022 Lariat I ordered on 12/22/2021 just went to "In Production" status and the Monroney sticker was posted last Wednesday after 8-rescheduled estimated build week notices from Ford. There's every opportunity for more delays before it's actually available to pick up at the dealer, but at least there's apparent progress at last.

Hang in there, we just gotta hope the wait is worth it as it was when I ordered my Escape 5.0 which took a year to receive. At least with the F150 the dealer has price protection from Ford which is passed through to me, I'll be paying the sale price agreed when I ordered in spite of 3 different base and option MSRP increases since then.

The fact that I still have my one-owner 2005 F150 attests to how long I plan to keep this one (knock on wood).

Maybe I should be talking to your dealer. thats a great deal, best i been able to come up with is invoice price $2120 discount and a ford 1500 bonus cash to order . . $3620 off of sticker I found a few on the lot that where priced before the last price increase,but not the color I wanted and none with the 36 gal fuel tank
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:40 AM   #30

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
When I was deciding between the 3.5 EB and the 5.0 V8 I was skeptical of a 6 Cylinder with Turbos. I did a lot of research and asked 100's of regular folks at gas stations, shopping malls and/or grocery stores about their F-150 engine choice.

The highest mileage 3.5 EB had 195,000 miles and the 5.0 around 175,000.

The complaints I heard were pretty much the same of the truck itself but I never had one person say the 3.5 EB had issues while several of the 5.0' had issues with a leaky water pump or a little smoke at start top or slight oil usage.

I then looked at dyne charts to see where power is made between the two. This is a newer chart I just pulled from Google but you get the idea. These are stock (no tuning) numbers.

Good luck on your choices.
Attached Thumbnails
Coyote-vs.-EcoBoost-F-150-03.jpg  
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:25 AM   #31

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Maybe I should be talking to your dealer. thats a great deal, best i been able to come up with is invoice price $2120 discount and a ford 1500 bonus cash to order . . $3620 off of sticker I found a few on the lot that where priced before the last price increase,but not the color I wanted and none with the 36 gal fuel tank
That’s not a bad idea. Alan is buying from the same dealer (Granger Ford, Granger, IA) that I bought from last year. I bought 2021 on a similar discount from the same dealer. My discount was about $8K off MSRP and I was lucky enough to score a $2K personal cash incentive from Ford and ended up with a price 10K below the MSRP (I don’t recall the exact amount below invoice but it was a healthy discount). And, this was not a late model year discount but custom order placed 3-4 of months after the mode was introduced. My net savings (after counting the flight, etc.) over the best the local dealer were offering was more than 3K.

PS: Please note the bonus cash offers have an expiry date and you need to buy the truck by that date to get it. My truck reached the dealer 1 day prior to the expiry date. I ended up wiring them the money to close the sale.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:01 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
While tow mirrors are not “required” on an F150, I love, love, love them when towing my Escape. It give better view of what is behind the trailer. The thing about tow mirrors, if you don’t feel you need them, just don’t extend them. But if you don’t have them and want them, you are out of luck.

I’d always want the bigger tank. My next truck I will order, no taking what’s off the lot. And if I go with the 2.7, I’ll get the optional 2.7 payload package too.

I have to agree on the tow mirrors. The convex sections on both sides is valuable, and the size makes looking back easier. I've never extended the mirrors. I do wish the power folding versions were available at the XLT version, but I had to go with manual.

I tow a 21C with a 2018 F 150 Super Cab, 3.5 EcoBoost, 3.31 gears/ 10 speed transmission, 36 gallon tank (at the time a $445 option), 6.5'bed (that is filled to the tonneau cover) & trailer tow package. 52K miles so far, most of which was towing with rear brakes replaced at 50K, and the cam phasors replacement under warrantee at 34K.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:32 AM   #33

Quote:
Maybe I should be talking to your dealer. ....
PM sent, also see https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thre...nger-ford.353/

Buying out-of-state doesn't work for everyone, but even adding a flight to Des Moines and the drive home it's a much better deal than I could find in Texas.

There are some dealers closer to NY making similar offers, but before placing an order be careful to get a written agreement that they will pass-through 100% of Ford's Dealer Price Protection against MSRP increases that occur between date of order confirmation and date of delivery ('locking' your agreed sale price to that at the time of order confirmation by Ford). Not all dealers do that, Ford can't dictate that (your deal is with a dealer, not Ford), caveat emptor.

As with any vehicle purchase negotiation you need to be focused on the 'out-the-door' price, not just the MSRP or discount from that (IOW, be certain that all dealer transaction fees and add-ons are fully disclosed and covered in a written agreement before placing an order).

YMMV, good luck with your vehicle shopping.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:52 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
For extended mirrors I am using the Snap On ones that install over the standard F150 mirrors. Towing the E19 it gives extended mirror visibility and when not towing just remove. While on looks like stock extended mirrors. No need to buy the expensive Ford option!
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 11:09 AM   #35

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Agreed. I have the Snap Ons as well. Not expensive and in opinion look better than the OEM towing mirrors. Also very easy to install. Saved a bit of $$$ as well.

I have the 3.5 Ecoboost and I would take it over the 5.0 simply because I like the power delivery and low end torque from the turbo/engine combo…but both have no issue with any of the Escape trailers, including the 23 I’m sure. I got it because I wasn’t sure in 2018 what trailer I would end up with. If I had to do it again, I would go with the 2.7. Very stout, still good with any Escape Trailer, and good fuel economy unladen. Good luck.
JeffinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:46 PM   #36

any one have a picture of the snap on mirrors?
Old 05-08-2022, 03:42 PM   #37

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01DNPD514?...BB27SC8AZAXNEQ

These are marketed under a slightly different name but are identical. I like them because they have an almost OEM look, cut-outs for the signal lights, and still work with power folding mirrors.
JeffinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinBC View Post
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01DNPD514?...BB27SC8AZAXNEQ

These are marketed under a slightly different name but are identical. I like them because they have an almost OEM look, cut-outs for the signal lights, and still work with power folding mirrors.

Thanks That might be a good set up for me.I like to be able to remove them when not using them.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:43 PM   #39

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
I am looking for people towing Escape trailers with an F150 EcoBoost who have high mileage on their tow vehicles. I won't find them in Consumer Reports. I might want to consider an F150 if I don't find a Toyota that I like. I tend to keep a vehicle a long time (perhaps too long) so I'm interested in durability.
My SIL has one of the earlier F 150 eco boost, 2013 I believe. It has over 300,000 Km on it. As far as the engine he had 1 of the turbos fail but it was under warranty, since then it has been the usual items to be replaced. He changes his oil every 5,000 km and says that with a turbo you need to take good care of the oil more so than in a natural asperated engine. The body is rusting but the motor is good, he did have an engine seal of some kind replaced last year but that can happen on any engine. He tows trailers on occasion.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:41 PM   #40

Any one towing with the 2.7 with hitch and integrated brake controller ? instead of tow package. This would limit my max tow to 6,000 instead of the 7400. I thinking 6,000 would be plenty for a 19 escape . The tow package is $1300 and only includes hitch and brake controller in my model XL trim. so i could save $735 buying those as stand alone options. There may be a radiator with larger cores But i can not confirm that. Ford cant come up with anything else it includes . My thought are i would not want to tow more than 6,000 with this engine anyways. with the new 10 speed transmission There is no additional cooling also no added oil cooler. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this?