Winterizing with air ? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #81

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Right now Home Depot has rv antifreeze for $3.27/gallon, good down to -50
Old 10-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #82

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
This website says propylene glycol is the best choice for the fresh water system.

https://recvehicle.com/winterization-and-rv-antifreeze/
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:02 PM   #83

Trailer: 2018 19'
I used this doohickey this week to clean out hot water tank. I think it worked better than the usual hose flush.
Attached Thumbnails
DC48E524-C9A2-4353-A1B0-8D2405EBF120.jpg  
Old 10-19-2019, 10:34 PM   #84

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
I would use the compressor until it was gurgling close all the faucets momentarily to build up some pressure and open again. Did this 3 or 4 times and seems to pretty empty
Here’s an interesting video testing your method of winterizing with a low volume pump.

Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:39 AM   #85

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
I used this doohickey this week to clean out hot water tank. I think it worked better than the usual hose flush.
That is also great for refilling your fresh tank....dual purpose item,
Old 10-20-2019, 06:59 AM   #86

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal K View Post
Here’s an interesting video testing your method of winterizing with a low volume pump.

He starts with empty tubing except for a few ounces. Unless you have a low point drain to clear most of the initial water this is not valid. You have no reservoir to build up enough volume to remove the large slug of water efficiently. It might work if you don’t mind spending a half a day winterizing but who wants to do that. My advice continues to be to get a decent size compressor with a tank, or use antifreeze and call it a day.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:02 AM   #87

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I know there's at least a few folks out there that bought the more powerful Viairs, here's one blowing out the system using a Viair RV tire compressor and their optional winterizing kit. Might not be a bad route to go for those that plan on needing to winterize on the road.

https://youtu.be/fyjFAFFe7xs
Old 10-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #88

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal K View Post

Interesting that increasing the volume of the system allowed the low volume pumps to be more effective although he didn't try the garden hose/tire inflator option. I wonder, what if you pressurise the system with the low volume pump and then open the valve closest to the pump just half way. Wouldn't that create lower pressure but longer duration, draining that portion of the system, then repeat with the next closest valve and so on, ending with the toilet. I might try it before resorting to borrowing my neighbors pump he uses for spray painting.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #89

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Just had a thought. Ok, how about if someone more clever than I designed a temporary larger volume reservoir which you would up to 40 psi with the tire pump, then connect THAT to the blow out plug?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #90

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What if you just used RV antifreeze and a hand pump?
Attached Thumbnails
Hand pump.jpg  
Old 10-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I know there's at least a few folks out there that bought the more powerful Viairs, here's one blowing out the system using a Viair RV tire compressor and their optional winterizing kit. Might not be a bad route to go for those that plan on needing to winterize on the road.

https://youtu.be/fyjFAFFe7xs
Again this relies on using low point drains to clear out most of the water before even hooking up the compressor.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #92

Trailer: 2018 17A
Quick question from someone new to all of this. I have a 2018 17A so I don't have to worry about a bathroom. I live in northern Utah and like to do one additional trip to southern Utah before putting the trailer away in mid-November. Right now I've drained the fresh water tank. I'll be gone for the next few weeks, should I also drain the water heater just in case of some freezing temps before using the trailer again in November?
mdudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:23 PM   #93

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Mike,
I think is prudent to drain the water heater. We have a 2015 Escape 17A, and we didn't end up even getting the water heater, so all of our hot water needs are met by heating it on the stove, or on a camp stove outside.

Edit: And; Welcome to that most excellent group: The A-Listers.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:57 PM   #94

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
The black tank handle on our demo Escape was badly chewed when we picked it up. It had been stored outside in their yard for 3-4 months. I assume the Escape factory guard dogs did the chewing.
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:09 AM   #95

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Sounds like you only have enough air pressure to disturb the water in your lines. I sure wouldn't count on that tire inflator to do the job.
You get what you pay for. I have two 12v emergency compressors that we carry in each vehicle. They may blow up a tire, but don't have enough volume to winterize our camper. I also have a decent 12v compressor that has no problem blowing the lines clear (I need to go out and look at the brand before this post edit time closes). Plus, I have two 120v pancake air compressors, but since I purchased the decent 12v compressor don't waste my time hauling those heavy compressors just to blow my lines clear.

My better 12v compressor can blow up our storage trailer tire 5-10 times faster than our smaller, emergency 12v air compressors. They've come a long way baby! So get yourself a decent 12v compressor and you'll be fine.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-23-2019, 09:12 AM   #96
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
IF you're blowing out the water lines using a compressor, wouldn't you want to use an oil-less compressor?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #97

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The good portable tire compressors are oil-less, and I imagine the cheap ones are too.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:47 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
You get what you pay for. I have two 12v emergency compressors that we carry in each vehicle. They may blow up a tire, but don't have enough volume to winterize our camper. I also have a decent 12v compressor that has no problem blowing the lines clear (I need to go out and look at the brand before this post edit time closes). Plus, I have two 120v pancake air compressors, but since I purchased the decent 12v compressor don't waste my time hauling those heavy compressors just to blow my lines clear.
Perry: Do you have a make and model of the 12V compressor that works to blow out the lines? I have always used a large 120V compressor with tank which handles it with ease, but a 12V solution while on the road would be handy if someone is traveling through cold areas and prefers to not use antifreeze in the lines.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #99

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Perry: Do you have a make and model of the 12V compressor that works to blow out the lines? I have always used a large 120V compressor with tank which handles it with ease, but a 12V solution while on the road would be handy if someone is traveling through cold areas and prefers to not use antifreeze in the lines.
I have a Black and Decker Air Station. It was purchased at least five or more years ago. I couldn't find one for sale at Amazon, but the EPAuto looks almost identical, except it's blue with a digital readout. I think our Air Station has been replaced by their 20V MAX* Multi-Purpose Inflator, and with three power sources (12v, 120v, and 20v lithium) would be the one I'd purchase.

Ours runs on 12v or 120v. I just hook it up, set the pressure cutoff to 40 psi, open the cold on our sink faucet, turn it on, and start blowing the camper out. If I want full pressure (set to 40 psi) I close all the lines wait 20 seconds and open the faucet. After you blow some water out, the lines act as a pressure tank.

The first year of use after using the Black and Decker I hooked my pancake compressor up and could blow no more water out. My B&D works perfect in this application. I do notice the B&D only got 2.2 stars on their website, but I'm fine. The 12v line, 120v line, and compressor hose fit nicely in the unit so it stores very well.

Hope this helps,

Perry
Old 11-02-2019, 05:48 AM   #100

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Air pressure

I don't need to winterize at home but may when traveling

I have a small device I picked up at CampingWorld that I can attach to the water inlet and attach the other end to a quick connect air hose coupler. Run the hose to my trucks air tank and I'm in business. Do the job by myself.

I can dial up required pressure on my air tank but am curious about the water pressure regulator I got from ETI. Since I only use the on board water tank I have no need to attach it to city water connection.

Could one simply attach the water pressure regulator and use it for air pressure also. Seems pressure is pressure to me.

When something 'seems so' to me, I usually break it.