What we're NOT getting. Any thoughts? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2015, 12:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
One more thought on the power cord is one less hole for ants, mice and other critters to make their way into the trailer too.

As for the inverter/extra 12V outlets, we opted for both. We use the 12V outlets a ton and have not used the inverter yet, other than to test its functioning. The main things we got the inverter for were for hair styling devices for my wife. Turns out, if we don't have power hookups, it's probable we're not doing the kind of activities where she needs to style her hair. Toss on a hat and away we go. When we need to be a little fancier, we also tend to be closer to civilization and have access to electrical hookups. As for the microwave it's easy enough to live without. Coffee grinder - we buy ground coffee when camping (yeah, I know) and brew it in an Aerobie Aeropress so we just need to bring a kettle to a near boil on the stove. We have a toaster for when we're plugged in, but use one of those toasters for over a stove when off the grid.

On the otherhand, we use the 12V outlets to charge: cell phones, iPads, my laptop (it has a 12V charger as an accessory), digital cameras, Kindles, use it to power our electrical cooler (beer fridge!), and so on. It's my understanding that it is less efficient to use the inverter than the 12V outlets for performing the same task (i.e. less drain on the battery charging an iPad via a 12V outlet rather than using an inverter, then a wall plug to charge the iPad). Also, things such as hair dryers, toasters, coffee makers etc. consume a lot of energy, and I'd like to conserve my batteries when possible. We sleep 4 in our Escape 21 so we have the standard 12V plus an additional one for each bed and also the one outside. We use them constantly, even when we do have electrical hookups. That said, I could afford the inverter, and there may be times in the future where we're glad we have it so we have no regrets on its installation, but we wouldn't want to be without our extra 12V outlets.

Otherwise yours sounds pretty similar to ours. We did put shelves in the closet, in hind sight either way would be fine, and we did get the underspray foam insulation (no heating pads), but then we don't live in California. Where we camp it often drops below freezing at night in the middle of summer.
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build sheet, final build sheet