17B build sheet, any advice for a family of 4? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2020, 10:58 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD escape View Post
Flip-up shelf next to the sink: We removed ours because putting it down each night was removing flesh from our fingers.

We leave out flip-up shelf next to the sink in the up position. My feet are comfortable under that shelf, under the blankets. My head is next to the fridge and I can just reach up, from under the covers, to turn up the thermostat.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:21 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
I didn't have the patience to read every reply, but if you haven't been in both a 17 and a 19, you really need to, before it's too late.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:16 AM   #43

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Which Swagman rack did you go with? We're looking at one that can potentially hold regular and (not yet-acquired) e-bikes.

Quote:

Bicycle racks: Very few racks are rated for mounting on the back of a travel trailer due to the harsh, jarring vibration back there. If you have "beater" bikes and really good insurance (for the folks in the vehicle behind you who suffer damage when the rack fails) use whatever you like! We bought a Swagman carrier rated for trailer use even when loaded with our two electric bikes. We love that rack. eTrailer.com
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:36 PM   #44

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...man/S94FR.html

Very pleased with this rack. Stable, solid. Heavy! Can't have everything...
Old 09-04-2020, 10:13 PM   #45

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...man/S94FR.html

Very pleased with this rack. Stable, solid. Heavy! Can't have everything...
Thanks. Looks Great. On my list for off season improvements.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:17 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
...Storage box: We built out own, bigger than the factory box and (I think) better looking
Any photos of your front box?
Old 09-05-2020, 01:26 PM   #47

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
I found the exterior hatch a pain. With the door not being very large and 5he bracing in the almost middle of 5he opening, it was hard to get things in and out of. I find the front storage box much easier, the area under the rear bed where the hatch is, is now where we store our bedding, including pillows and dirty clothes bag, extra blankets etc as we make our bed up every night. Mind you we do have the single leg table with the hardware on the rear of trailer.
I would definitely get solar especially with your 6 v batteries
Old 09-07-2020, 11:45 PM   #48

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Any photos of your front box?

Took photos today, will do my best to remember to post them tomorrow. Will put them in the "What have you done for your Escape today?" thread. :-)
Old 09-08-2020, 01:27 AM   #49

Trailer: 2013 - 19
Personally. I’d see about the extra two foot option. Been there
Pembyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:16 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape 17B 2021
19' instead of 17B... I completely understand the bigger the better, all else unconstrained, and that is where there are a few:
- we don't have much parking space, and 19 is both wider and longer, with dual-axis so less maneuverability. Even with 17, I am thinking of using a Trailer Valet at home
- camping duration/frequency: mostly short 2-3 days weekend trips every month or so, with 2-3 longer (~1 week) a year. We can live cozy <50 nights/year. Not planning to sit inside a trailer a lot - we would rather cancel a trip if constant heavy rain is forecast, no point trying
- tow vehicle: I want to be able to use Sienna (3500 tow rating), at least occasionally, but mostly using an SUV (5000). Both could sleep 2 extra people if needed, Sienna more comfortably (6' long space right behind 2nd row!)
- our kids are 3 and 5, 17B would be like a palace to them, for a few more years
- water consumption: 19 has same black/grey tanks, no advantage
- warmth: 19 has the same furnace BTUs but needs to heat up more space

We even thought of a 13' Scamp, but it won't have a bathroom with bunk beds setup.
If we had more parking space, and easily accessible, we could have a larger SUV or a truck. Then we would own 19', 21', etc.
If we had more free time, we could camp 100+ days a year and then we would need the comfort of a larger trailer
In 10+ years, maybe. But then the kids won't want to camp with us anymore, so 17B would still be good
dosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:58 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 - 19
Ah. That totally makes sense and you will love the 17. Happy travels
Pembyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:58 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
I found the exterior hatch a pain. With the door not being very large and 5he bracing in the almost middle of 5he opening, it was hard to get things in and out of. I find the front storage box much easier, the area under the rear bed where the hatch is, is now where we store our bedding, including pillows and dirty clothes bag, extra blankets etc as we make our bed up every night. Mind you we do have the single leg table with the hardware on the rear of trailer.
ETI convinced me that the standard table is better than the single-legged Springfield Marine Pedestal
Also, now I am thinking of including a front storage box - I can always replace it with a bike/kayak rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
I would definitely get solar especially with your 6 v batteries
So many options here: portable solar, portable gas/propane generators, pre-wiring, lithium batteries (Those are down to $600/100Ah, at only 25 lbs). Still have not decided yet what makes sense the most in our area (PNW): the sunniest campgrounds would require air-conditioning that won't work on solar

Quote:
The electric option for the water heater was heaven sent when the wind blew so hard the water heater would not work on propane. (Moving the trailer to put the HWH in the lee was not an option.)
Quote:
Our 120 VAC electric system monitor has flagged issues for us a few times, including over voltage at home here in Boulder, Colorado. You asked an excellent question about replacing the refrigerator vs the electric monitor. The monitor would be faster and cheaper, although you would likely only have to replace the circuit board in the reefer should it come to that.
That is great to know!

Quote:
We have the two 6 volt golf cart batteries on the rear bumper and have never drawn them down to 50% even camping in cold weather (freezing nights) for 4 days straight.
I think that's how we are going to be using it, 2-3 days weekends with relatively low electricity usage

Quote:
Bicycle racks: Very few racks are rated for mounting on the back of a travel trailer due to the harsh, jarring vibration back there. If you have "beater" bikes and really good insurance (for the folks in the vehicle behind you who suffer damage when the rack fails) use whatever you like! We bought a Swagman carrier rated for trailer use even when loaded with our two electric bikes. We love that rack. eTrailer.com
We are going to try our 2-bike Swagman first with one kids bike inside the trailer and then we'll see how the Swagman behaves. Most likely, will switch to 4-bike carrier.

Quote:
External storage hatch: Handy, but much less so since we built our big tongue box. We only put clean, dry, non-combustible stuff in there now, organized in plastic tubs.
I think that's the way to do it, instead of fishing for individual things through the small opening. Still, I think it's very useful to fetch things without going inside each time.

Quote:
Kitchen window: Have it, love it, use it, especially when cooking indoors. (We often cook a quick lunch at rest stops while travelling.)
The only drawback is structural integrity but I don't think it's a major one. One can also throw garbage out of the window into some trash can, could be useful with a limited space inside.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:43 PM   #53

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosby View Post
So many options here: portable solar, portable gas/propane generators, pre-wiring, lithium batteries (Those are down to $600/100Ah, at only 25 lbs). Still have not decided yet what makes sense the most in our area (PNW): the sunniest campgrounds would require air-conditioning that won't work on solar
Kimberley in Australia was doing it on their high end caravans. Start with an efficient mini-split A/C and then add lithium batts and plenty of solar. The technology is there but it’s the price tag keeping this from becoming more mainstream. Joel (jphil23462) is currently leading the way on his new 5.0. He’s got the mini-split and working on 400Ah lithium paired with 975W of solar! Too rich for my blood. I have the mini-split but I’m waiting for lithium prices to drop.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post338361
Old 09-09-2020, 11:00 AM   #54

Trailer: Escape 5.0 T.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd recommend a 19'.
I agree 100 percent. Kids grow fast. You’ll want more room the day you pick it up.
Erik65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:04 PM   #55

Trailer: none currently
My only advice is children grow. Fast. So plan as IF they were full size adults/teens for sleeping. Go for the largest fridge because teens/athletes can hold eat 2.5 times more than an adult male. Why? Because then you will have the space and the ability to accommodate them as they grow. Otherwise, you may be looking for a larger camper in a just a few, very, short years. (Ask me how I know.....)
Good Luck! Enjoy your new Escape!
Justforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:06 PM   #56

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
My best advise

Best advise I can give is buy a bigger trailer. You will probably find the 19 is too small for 4.
bailiej757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:12 PM   #57

Trailer: Escape 17'B
Must haves....

Solar and an inverter. We boondocked last year for 4 1/2 months and the solar recharged every day! We didn't use our microwave (and realized we didn't need it ) so took it out and got all the storage for other things.
2 6 volt batteries instead of one 12 volt.

Get all the windows...the inside light is wonderful!

Go with the larger fridge and if you do want a microwave you can buy a smaller one that allows you to still have the door with the mirror.
Kat&Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:29 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat&Penney View Post
Solar and an inverter. We boondocked last year for 4 1/2 months and the solar recharged every day! We didn't use our microwave (and realized we didn't need it ) so took it out and got all the storage for other things.
2 6 volt batteries instead of one 12 volt.
The more I research into solar and batteries (and the required maintenance), the more I think we would start small and then see what we can add, after a couple of short trips. 200Ah lithium is ~$1200 now and only weighs ~50 lbs compared to 130 lbs for dual 6v. Can last a week and could be charged by a mini-generator in a day or so if needed. Something to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat&Penney View Post
Go with the larger fridge and if you do want a microwave you can buy a smaller one that allows you to still have the door with the mirror.
I would gladly sacrifice microwave space for a taller fridge, but not the deeper one they offer b/c it makes the aisle narrower.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:53 PM   #59

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
We went from avid car campers...towing a cargo trailer for all our stuff...to Escape 21 owners this year. The setup/take down is definitely quicker with the trailer and less worry about rain. I used to figure 2 hours with the large tent, picnic shelter, and various other items we packed. Also I'm able to get more help as a lot of the jobs are less demanding. We do seem to spend a lot more time in the trailer relative to when we were car camping we would hang out outside much more....my theory is you hang out where the food and dining table is.

Outdoor shower is a must and I'd get it on the passenger side....we run out of gray water capacity very quickly so the more you can move it outside the better. I'd think twice about skipping on the solar...most of the parks around here (PNW) don't have electric and you don't want to be constantly fighting the kids to turn off lights. I was borderline on whether to get A/C, and if you never plug in then the A/C is useless anyway, but we did find it really helpful a couple weeks ago near Mount Hood and I'm glad we have it. We don't have the EMS...I may add it some day but it's not a high priority...TPMS is a bigger concern for me.
daniel108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:53 PM   #60

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Dosby - a lot of people are saying you need a bigger trailer. So I want to add that we have a 17’ and we love it so much. (Granted we are just two adults). All the reasons you gave for preferring a smaller one are the same reasons we have. Our main constraint is that we don’t want to have to get a bigger/powerful vehicle when most of the time the car is used for getting around town. Parking the camper up the side of the house so easily is awesome. It’s very nimble to tow and maneuver into a tight spot.

Also your camping style is similar to ours. We have done a lot of 3-night trips and we haven’t made much of a dent in the battery charge on those kind of trips. Our trailer came prewired for solar, but we are in no hurry to get a panel because we don’t need it at this time. Maybe if we start going for a week at a time, away from power, but at that point water would be the limiting factor too.

So I just want to add power to your elbow that 17’ Escapes are great too, and not everyone needs/uses solar panels. You can have an awesome short trip on just propane and a charged battery.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote