Must haves, wrong choices and I wish I did. - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2021, 05:00 PM   #41

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Thanks a lot, George! Just to confirm my understanding...

The Sand Pads go below the BAL stabilizer C-jacks and keep the jack from sinking into soft dirt or sand. From your picture, looks like they get bolted to the bottom of the jack.

Do I have it right?
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:10 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by uthorns View Post
"Aluminum Wheels - This we asked about. The weight seemed almost the same as the steel wheels. So we were puzzled as to the value. Am I missing something."

The only value to the aluminum wheels is they look good. It would make your trailer look great with your new Ford truck. I don't like the steel wheels but that's just my opinion. Others like them or don't want to spend the money on aluminum wheels. I just think it makes a huge difference in the looks of the trailer.

Jimmy
Thanks a lot for clarifying that. We will stick to the stock steel wheels and save our money.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:25 PM   #43

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thanks a lot, George! Just to confirm my understanding...

The Sand Pads go below the BAL stabilizer C-jacks and keep the jack from sinking into soft dirt or sand. From your picture, looks like they get bolted to the bottom of the jack.

Do I have it right?
The jacks will, in some cases barely reach the ground or not quite reach it (in unlevel parking situations where the back end or one side of the trailer is high). It's common to have to put a block of some sort under the jack in those instances. An advantage to the sand pads, in addition to providing a more stable base in soft soil, is that they make it easy to attach small blocks to them if desired to avoid having to carry separate blocks and put them out.

I originally put one thickness of 2x6 board on the sand pad and found it to be not quite enough all the time so I added a second (we do have the high lift). Since doing that I have never had to add any additional blocks under the jacks. Although the blocks look big in the photo, since the jacks are not far behind the back wheels it they are plenty far off the ground when retracted to not be a problem when driving. On a bumper pull trailer, adding blocks to the front jack pads could cause some clearance issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Jack pads 2.jpg   Jack pads 1.jpg  
Old 01-20-2021, 05:49 PM   #44

David,

Thanks a lot! That's very helpful. I got it now!
Old 01-20-2021, 06:05 PM   #45

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Looks like David clarified the sand pads. I just added them to my 5.0 build with a completion date of 3/11/21 - didn't realize that the stabilizers came without them. With our Casita we always carried a stack of interlocking plastic blocks that we would use where needed depending on the site.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:12 PM   #46

Indeed. I had them on my build too, so it is good to know where they go and what they do

Many thanks for your posts. They put me on the right path to understand this. Being our first camper, we are not well versed in this domain.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:22 PM   #47

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphil23462 View Post
Have never used the toilet shut off valve, so not sure about that one.
Most don't understand the toilet shut-off valve until you need one.

We've owned twelve previous campers with toilets. The toilet valve failed on our Aeorlite, but it didn't have the toilet shut-off valve, so no water in the entire camper for the rest of the trip. No kitchen/bathroom sink and no showers.

Our Jayco 5th wheel had the shut-off valve, so when the toilet valve failed we just shut off the water to the toilet and had water for the kitchen/bathroom sinks and could take a shower. Aside from having to pour water in the toilet, the rest of the camper worked fine and really didn't bother us.

Toilet valves are are well known for failing.

Needless to say, we ordered a toilet shut-off valve for our 5.0.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-20-2021, 08:41 PM   #48

Trailer: 2016 19 foot Escape
What a great thread!... we love our solar, wish we had ordered a second. So glad re 2 six volt batteries, storage unit at front (we have a 19’). No regrets re air conditioning as mostly camping in Northern climes. We love the under bench storage at entry option. We keep shoes, brooms there. Sometimes at season end, we wish we had winterized... however, there are disadvantages to this, so a trade off. We did not get microwave, no regrets. I would pit in charging stations wherever possible, I would love to plug in at night by bed.
neamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:53 PM   #49
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Such a range of answers here- it so depends on your camping style. We tried to balance our needs with resale value. We have a 2018 21C.

Must haves- 1. outdoor shower as it’s great for rinsing off sandy feet, beach buckets, muddy hikers or boots or muddy dogs! 2. Dual 12V batteries. We never run out of battery power first, it’s always that we need more fresh water or need to empty our grey tank that causes us to move. We have got the wiring for solar, but have not needed it so far as the batteries recharge when hooked up to the truck.

Wish we did- 1. the window above the drawer stack on the driver side. This was one of those secret options that would have brought so much light into the trailer but we didn’t find out about it until after. In terms of natural light, it’s pretty dark. We are pretty happy with everything we did. 2. Fold out tables at the dinette, because of number 1 below. (We may still add these next time it’s at the factory.)

Wish we didn’t: 1. U shaped dinette- we camp in campsites, most of which have a picnic table so that tends to be our eating area or we take a picnic somewhere. There is no couch or lounge area, so we leave the dinette table inside down all the time and lined the edges with pillows for a comfy lounge spot. Tables as mentioned above would be great for a cup of tea or a snack! 2. I don’t have a solution for this, but we never use the awning- so glad we got the cheaper option and that we don’t have to deal with the power option breaking down. However, it would be nice to open the bathroom and dinette window all the way- it only opens an inch with the awning arms in all the way. It’s the one annoying thing, but it’s either be annoyed or worry about the other one breaking down with age after not using it.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:59 PM   #50

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
More electrical/12v/USB outlets is what I would have added if I'd been able to use the trailer before build.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:13 AM   #51

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Most don't understand the toilet shut-off valve until you need one.
Want to thank Perry for the write up. Good to know.

Also want to clarify a typo in that we have an induction cooktop, not inverter.

Just to jump on George's add, we too installed the sand pads. And yes, I agree they have been excellent additions.
"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end, which you can never afford to lose, with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be." - Vice Admiral Stockdale
jphil23462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:42 AM   #52

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
RV lock is having a sale on their keyless locks

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:38 AM   #53

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Kneeling Pad

Kneeling Pads were mentioned so I'll show pix of one of my Xmas presents...this is the only way to kneel, especially with arthritic knees that feel like you're kneeling on pebbles. This pad is AWESOME!
These would be a GREAT option for ETI to supply.
Attached Thumbnails
pad a.jpg   pad ba.jpg  
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:57 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
Kneeling Pads were mentioned so I'll show pix of one of my Xmas presents...this is the only way to kneel, especially with arthritic knees that feel like you're kneeling on pebbles. This pad is AWESOME!
These would be a GREAT option for ETI to supply.
I did not know one had to kneel before getting into the Escape

Where did you buy these? My knees aren't the best - and could use the help.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:59 AM   #55

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Since I can't find a practical reason for throwing my creeper into the truck or trailer when I travel, I carry a Yoga pad, useful when one needs to get under the trailer when on gravel, etc.

I also have a couple of kneelers, and find them useful. My old knees don't seem to have the built in padding they had when I was in my 20's...
Old 01-29-2021, 01:14 PM   #56

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Where did you buy these? My knees aren't the best - and could use the help.

Home Depot has them, but I think my wife got it on Amazon...
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:30 PM   #57

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol5.0 View Post
The BAL stabilizer C-jacks as installed look like this:
Attachment 53304

sand pads are a well worth $20.00 option:

Attachment 53303
We use the plastic Camco Jack pads. I don't recall sand pads being available--knowing what I know now, I'd certainly get them. The stabilizers need something extra in gravel, sand, or hot asphalt.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:33 PM   #58

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
More electrical/12v/USB outlets is what I would have added if I'd been able to use the trailer before build.
Agree wholeheartedly with this. I say that even though we have the inverter powering all AC outlets. I find the 12v/USB combo outlets incredibly useful (for dustbuster, flashlight, 12v adapter for laptop, etc.) We use ours to charge stuff when on the road when the inverter is always off and an extra inside the trailer would have been great.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:57 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
Home Depot has them, but I think my wife got it on Amazon...
Thank you!
Old 01-29-2021, 02:22 PM   #60

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofdestiny View Post
We use the plastic Camco Jack pads. I don't recall sand pads being available--knowing what I know now, I'd certainly get them. The stabilizers need something extra in gravel, sand, or hot asphalt.
They can be easily added if you ever choose to
https://www.amazon.com/BAL-23200-Foo.../dp/B004OI21MY