Pros/cons of spray foam insulation and 2x12V heat pads - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Pros/cons of spray foam insulation and 2x12V heat pads

We're currently finalizing our build sheet, and wanted to hear your positive/negative experiences with the spray foam insulation under the trailer and 2x12V heat pads.

We anticipate living in the midwest in our Escape during the winter months so insulation would be necessary we imagine (newbies to RVing ). What are the pros/cons of the spray foam under trailer? What about the 2x12V heat pads?

Thanks!
rootedoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have had the spray foam installed on every one of my Escapes. It keeps it warmer in winter and cooler in summer. The heat pads are only good if you have hookups and if you have hook ups you do not need heat pads. I'd get a heated water supply hose before the pads. Had the pads on my first Escape, used once and never had them again.
On edit forgot to mention the foam also protects the underside from road alligators that can bite and damage underneath. The foam covers frame to frame from rear all the way to the front.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
even with the heat pads and foam living in the midwest during the winter months. would require some way to keep the dump valves and water lines from freezing . These are great 3 season campers,But if your sure you want to live it in the winter you will have to head south or look into a 4 season camper. The heat pads will help when you hooked to power but will do nothing when your traveling . they also only heat the tanks not the plumbing . That said if you camping in shoulder season and get a night down below freezing the foam will help, But once you reach daytime temps below freezing it will be time to winterize or head south as many do.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootedoutside View Post
We're currently finalizing our build sheet, and wanted to hear your positive/negative experiences with the spray foam insulation under the trailer and 2x12V heat pads.

We anticipate living in the midwest in our Escape during the winter months so insulation would be necessary we imagine (newbies to RVing ). What are the pros/cons of the spray foam under trailer? What about the 2x12V heat pads?

Thanks!
If you plan to live in the midwest during the winter months, you really need to consider a four season trailer like a Bigfoot or an Oliver. Escape trailers are great for what they are designed to do - but they do not handle freezing temps for long.

I'm retired so I can travel when and where I want. That being the case, if it looks like it's getting too cold - I go south. If it looks like it's getting too hot - I go north. The Escape works very well for me following this pattern. If your situation doesn't allow this - an Escape (or any three season trailer) probably won't be the best choice for you.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:33 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I agree with Texas, if you need a camper for cold winter use, look elsewhere. Escapes are 3 season campers.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have spray foam - both trailers my previous 17 and my 5.0 i like it
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
To me, the positives are it helps a lot with insulating. The only negative to me is how it looks.

But like Tom said, I would never consider an Escape to live all winter in freezing temps.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Probably will help with insulating, but as stated it won’t make a 3 season trailer into a 4 season trailer. Big negative is trying to access a repair that is covered by the foam. It can turn a simple repair into a major process.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:25 PM   #9
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
We are glad we got the spray foam underneath, not only for the added thermal insulation, but we're convinced it also helps insulate from loud outdoor sounds. We noticed right away how incredibly quieter and peaceful it is inside and feel that the extra insulation below helps....and the floor never feels cold!

We also got the 2x12V heat pads and we are glad we have that, as well. Yes, they can only be used with hook ups, but we love to camp in the shoulder seasons and if the overnight forecast calls for the low 30's, then I really like the option of being able to switch them on. The pads are also temperature controlled and if turned on, they will only activate if it gets to a certain low temperature. Thus, during the daytime, when the temp goes back up above freezing, they deactivate. Thus, we make sure they are in the 'off' position when we leave - a box on our departure check list.

However, if you plan to live in your 5.0 in snowy (winter midwest) conditions, you may want to consider a true 4 season unit, like a Bigfoot or an Oliver instead. Escapes are great 3 season trailers and the spray foam and heating pads are just some of those nice options that push it up to a very comfortable 3+ season trailer, IMHO. Best of luck with your decisions. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Probably will help with insulating, but as stated it won’t make a 3 season trailer into a 4 season trailer. Big negative is trying to access a repair that is covered by the foam. It can turn a simple repair into a major process.
While I was under the trailer reconditioning the frame this past weekend I had plenty of time to ponder the spray foam. It would have encapsulated a bunch of steel cross pieces, wiring to brakes, main ground wiring, tank probes, propane lines, some plumbing and fresh and gray tanks. I suppose that if well constructed and tested before foaming that everything would be fine and without moisture exposure the foam would act to preserve the integrity of the inner frame rails and everything mentioned above buried inside. But if you do have a problem you have a major issue on your hands. I just hope for no issues and that everyone is as happy with the foam many years down the road as they are today.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:55 PM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
One thing I did right when mine was being built, was having Tammy send me pictures of the undercarriage before it was foamed. I've had to cut out some of the foam once, removal was not a big deal, although repairing the foam afterwards was fairly involved.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:11 AM   #12

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We're from Minnesota and camp in cold weather.

The heat pads/insulation were installed by ETI on our 5.0.

We've easily spent 10 nights with the temperatures below 20 F. Probably another 20 nights below freezing. One time it was below freezing for five days. We've never used the pads. NEVER!

When we run into ten degrees or less, we'll empty all tanks and blow the lines out. We've done that already. A 12v air compressor is our friend. Again an Escape is a three season camper.

OTOH, we've owned a 25' Bigfoot and it's a four season camper. We've also owned a Lance and it's a 3 1/2 season camper. The Escape is three season, except for a few nights like we have had, but certainly not continuously.

Except for not putting a 12v/USB outlet on the upper cabinet next to the refrigerator (is one of my distancing projects), we ordered everything we wanted, but feel the 12v tank pads were a waste of money. What good will the tank pads do when either your sewer line or gate valves freeze up?

Spend your money elsewhere.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
What good will the tank pads do when either your sewer line or gate valves freeze up?

Spend your money elsewhere.
A place to spend some of that excess money would be on 120V AC heat tape to wrap around the sewer lines and gate valves, followed by some flexible pipe insulation wrap. And then some short white picket fence to hide what will be an ugly solution to constant below freezing weather.

A plus for foam insulation is additional noise reduction. We have all the Escape insulation options and on occasions some campers will ask "didn't that loud party keep you awake?" Nope, we hardly hear the outside world when all the openings are closed.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
One thing I did right when mine was being built, was having Tammy send me pictures of the undercarriage before it was foamed. I've had to cut out some of the foam once, removal was not a big deal, although repairing the foam afterwards was fairly involved.
That's a great call to take a picture pre-foam if we decide to go that route. That would be helpful to know where components are if any repairs are needed.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
even with the heat pads and foam living in the midwest during the winter months. would require some way to keep the dump valves and water lines from freezing . These are great 3 season campers,But if your sure you want to live it in the winter you will have to head south or look into a 4 season camper. The heat pads will help when you hooked to power but will do nothing when your traveling . they also only heat the tanks not the plumbing . That said if you camping in shoulder season and get a night down below freezing the foam will help, But once you reach daytime temps below freezing it will be time to winterize or head south as many do.
Agree with others about insulation. After much research, we decided that a custom made skirt around the escape with a low level heat source underneath is the only way to make our 17b winter worthy, along with the insulation and heated tanks. Skirt solves the exposed valve problem. The more mobile you are, the less valuable this solution is. Be aware that Escape does not install more powerful heaters on their larger units, and no upgrade is offered as an option to my knowledge.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:14 PM   #16
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
That's a great call to take a picture pre-foam if we decide to go that route. That would be helpful to know where components are if any repairs are needed.
Food for thought...last year, before we signed our build sheet, we visited the showroom in Chilliwack. Since we knew we wanted the spray foam, we took various pics of the underside of the 21 model on the showroom floor. I assume the showroom is still closed now due to Covid...so, if you decide to go with the spray foam and ETI is not able to take pics of your specific unit underneath during production before the foam is sprayed on, (sometimes they say yes to requests, sometimes they say no)... you could then ask your ETI rep, to take various pics of the underside of your model on the showroom floor and send those to you, instead. Pics of your own unit would be ideal, however, pics of the model would also a good data point to have for future reference. BTW our ETI rep was extremely helpful and was more than willing to take pics from the showroom model to help us with our various decisions. Hopefully, they can still do that for you now. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:39 PM   #17

It appears there are less expensive heat pads on the market compared to ETI's $960 (2x12V heat pads and foam insulation)...but I don't know enough about under our 5.0TA to know if the following type of install is doable...?

Here's Jared from All About RV's installing a $76 heat pad:

We do like the idea of having a protective barrier from critters or the elements, but are there other options to protect/cover under trailer components besides spray on foam? Something that can be easily removed if repairs are needed?
Old 05-05-2020, 03:19 PM   #18

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
It appears there are less expensive heat pads on the market compared to ETI's $960 (2x12V heat pads and foam insulation)...but I don't know enough about under our 5.0TA to know if the following type of install is doable...?

Here's Jared from All About RV's installing a $76 heat pad:

We do like the idea of having a protective barrier from critters or the elements, but are there other options to protect/cover under trailer components besides spray on foam? Something that can be easily removed if repairs are needed?
Read the spec's he linked to on etrailer. On at 45 and off at 67 degrees? Whoa! So they would be on all the time when we camp. Let's see, 5 ah times two is 10 amps an hour? I guess you get what you pay for. I'd better buy a few Battleborns and triple my solar.

He also did not install a switch.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-05-2020, 03:35 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If I remember correctly, Escapes come on at 30 and off at 40....
Old 05-05-2020, 03:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Thanks to you and others re: the tip that Escapes are only 3-season trailers. We'll definitely need to re-think having her in the midwest during winter. She might just need to get bundled up and winterized until temps get better.