Pumping gas in Oregon - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2023, 08:47 AM   #21

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
I have found that in both Oregon and New Jersey, I am "allowed" to pump my own gas when driving a classic car. Harley guys tell me that they can also do it themselves with no issues.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 01:18 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
My understanding is NJ enacted the law when some genius was filling up with a lit cigarette hanging out of his mouth and managed to catch the whole station on fire. Maybe it was Oregon.

Off topic: Anyway here in NW MT the grizzly bears and cubs have left the crowded campgrounds early this year due to dry weather and lack of food. They have a distinct preference for unelectrified chicken coops.
Old 08-08-2023, 09:07 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Oregon will always have gas station drama, but I have to say that state has some of the best coffee huts. Far better than anything in Washington state. No matter what town you drove through, there always seemed to be an RV friendly coffee hut. That's us pre-Escape in our Rpod/Frontier rig.
Attached Thumbnails
m8k8VOamRXq6kDpGlSxWUg.jpg  
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 07:24 AM   #24

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
100% Agree. Nowadays if I say I love blueberry pancakes I fully expect to be screamed at by the scrabble egg cult.
Probably won't find too many people taking issue with blueberry pancakes; now, if you bring up scrapple, that will be a whole different story....
Old 08-09-2023, 09:16 AM   #25

Trailer: 2012 E19
I see that some people are really pumped about this! Others are not. Just like most issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Come to Oregon, become a voter here, then you have earned the right to....
Do we still nowadays have to come to Oregon to be a voter there? How old-fashioned. Just kidding!
Old 08-09-2023, 10:38 AM   #26

Trailer: SOLD - 2022 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Do we still nowadays have to come to Oregon to be a voter there? How old-fashioned. Just kidding!

If you have an Oregon driver's license, then you are registered to vote - which is done by mail. IIRC, one only has to live here for half of the year.
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 03:47 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
If you have an Oregon driver's license, then you are registered to vote - which is done by mail. IIRC, one only has to live here for half of the year.
If you live there a whole year do you get to vote twice?
Old 08-09-2023, 04:08 PM   #28

Trailer: SOLD - 2022 Escape 21NE
No, but you can get "full service" at the gas/diesel/propane pump - if you choose!

please consider a tip for the attendant ;-}
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 05:13 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Voting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
If you live there a whole year do you get to vote twice?
No that’s just in Chicago
Old 08-09-2023, 05:34 PM   #30

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Probably won't find too many people taking issue with blueberry pancakes; now, if you bring up scrapple, that will be a whole different story....
Scrapple! I have actually had it before.

Mmmm, I drop several Fresh Blueberries in the poured batter. When done I cover with powder sugar and add a couple of pieces of crispy bacon on the side.

After eating my doctor calls to yell at me.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 05:52 PM   #31

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
My doctor only calls after chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, with gravy and biscuits.
Old 08-09-2023, 11:23 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
as a native californian, I have to say, I hated riding my motorcycle in Oregon, but thankfully, most attendants would let me pump my own gas as I stayed on the bike rather than get off and center stand it. my bike required a certain finesse to get the last gallon into its 6.3 gallon tank, and that was the difference between 200 and 240 miles with some margin, and when you're riding 600-800 miles/day on back roads, that's a lot.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 08:05 AM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
as a native californian, I have to say, I hated riding my motorcycle in Oregon, but thankfully, most attendants would let me pump my own gas
You were legally allowed to pump your own gas for your motorcycle in Oregon. That's been in the law books since 2001.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 08:18 AM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
as a native californian, I have to say, I hated riding my motorcycle in Oregon, but thankfully, most attendants would let me pump my own gas as I stayed on the bike rather than get off and center stand it. my bike required a certain finesse to get the last gallon into its 6.3 gallon tank, and that was the difference between 200 and 240 miles with some margin, and when you're riding 600-800 miles/day on back roads, that's a lot.

R1100RS. Lovely machines those were. I had a GS.
Old 08-10-2023, 12:31 PM   #35

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
My first job was as a paper boy, my second was as a gas monkey at a full service gas station for a summer. The only issues I've ever had with dribbling on my shoes and clothes has nothing to do with a gas station. Had a diesel truck for a while, yup, diesel pump handles can be a mess. Never had an issue with gas pump handle.

David you did have bring up scrapple didn't ya.
Old 08-10-2023, 01:29 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Kessenich View Post
My first job was as a paper boy, my second was as a gas monkey at a full service gas station for a summer.

David you did have bring up scrapple didn't ya.
I'm betting that a fair number of us had the same intro into earning our first $.

At least he didn't mention poutine.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 03:46 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
You were legally allowed to pump your own gas for your motorcycle in Oregon. That's been in the law books since 2001.
fwiw, i was last up in Oregon on my motorcycle in the late 90s. after putting 90K miles on that bike in 10 years, I stopped riding much in the early 2000s, and sold it circa 2010, that picture was from my 'for sale' library.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 05:11 PM   #38

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Scrapple! I have actually had it before.

Mmmm, I drop several Fresh Blueberries in the poured batter. When done I cover with powder sugar and add a couple of pieces of crispy bacon on the side.

After eating my doctor calls to yell at me.
Tell your doctor he's just envious.

I don't do the powdered sugar. I use real maple syrup. See, I'm a health nut.
Old 08-16-2023, 12:29 PM   #39

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21C
Quote:
I'm just happy half the pumps are for an attendant to pump and the price is the same. Doubtful you've ever bought as much fuel in Oregon as I have over the past 50+ years Ron. I prefer my hands to stay clean and not have fuel dribbled all over my shoes. Yeah, had enough of that when I was forced to pump fuel in Canada and all over the USA.

I always laughed when it seemed to be people who don't live in Oregon who were the most put out about Oregon's law. Come to Oregon, become a voter here, then you have earned the right to bitc... complain.

Voters choose to have attendants pump our fuel more than 70 years ago. The recent change didn't come from the voters, but a select few representatives who ran it through the Oregon House back in March. Too bad, I bet the voters would have voted it down.

I've been reading people complaining about Wal-Marts (and other stores) self-check out lines because the buyers aren't employees and self-check outs take away paying jobs. Guess none of that happens at fuel stations....
I was once accosted in Arizona by an irate Casita owner about not being able to pump his own gas in Oregon and that was my reply. It provides jobs for a whole variety of people. Immigrants, people trying to get their lives back in order, those needing some extra part time work. I am sorry to see it go especially now that my husband and I are in our 80s. In places like Tillamook County they will not have to have manned pumps at all.
Beekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 02:47 PM   #40

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
I was once accosted in Arizona by an irate Casita owner about not being able to pump his own gas in Oregon and that was my reply. It provides jobs for a whole variety of people. Immigrants, people trying to get their lives back in order, those needing some extra part time work. I am sorry to see it go especially now that my husband and I are in our 80s. In places like Tillamook County they will not have to have manned pumps at all.
I remember working for a bit in the UK 30 ears ago all trains had at least 2 conductors when 1 would suffice. I think it was a government move to get closer to full employment. OTOH Warren Buffet wants to limit freight trains to just an engineer on BNSF and no one else on board, a scary move at best with all the train mishaps of late.