Karl with EV Ford Truck - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2022, 06:40 PM   #81
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
I'm not aware of any hybrids with wheel end motors, they would effectively be P4. I have seen at least one EV concept with wheel end motors.

I guess there could be some ways that wheel end motors would be great, but there is one way in particular that they would not be good, and that is in keeping unsprung weight reasonable. Having a large amount of weight in a vehicle that is not carried by the springs (typically wheels, tires, brakes, steering knuckle......stuff like that) is bad. It makes for bad handling, bad ride.....it's undesireable.

And motors in the wheels makes for a lot of unsprung weight.

Also, one other problem is that putting the motors in the wheel ends is a more difficult design challenge for the drive units.The main issue is vibration and shock loading, the life of components riding on the (relatively) supple springs is a lot easier than the life of power electronics that have nothing but the tire between them and the road.
Another problem could be vulnerability to dirt, dust, water, snow, and salt, which can be death to motors.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:02 PM   #82

Trailer: SOLD - 2022 Escape 21NE
i think I was mistaken about the Lexus hybrid drive train. What I have read is that it is an AWD/CVT system, with ICE driving the front wheels and electric driving the rear. Motors are not on the wheels themselves.

In the case of the F-150 Lightning, there are 2 motors, mounted above each axle. And a single speed transmission....
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 09:16 PM   #83

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
CO2 is plant food, not 'poison'. Patrick Moore said it better than I could:

https://www.thegwpf.org/content/uplo...10/Moore-2.pdf
I have no doubt that carbon emissions do affect climate, but realized that there have been severe climate shifts since the dinosaur ages, such as the ice ages that are not part of the everyday discussion. An interesting perspective, thanks for the link.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 09:35 PM   #84
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
i think I was mistaken about the Lexus hybrid drive train. What I have read is that it is an AWD/CVT system, with ICE driving the front wheels and electric driving the rear. Motors are not on the wheels themselves.

In the case of the F-150 Lightning, there are 2 motors, mounted above each axle. And a single speed transmission....
Electric motors need only a single-speed transmission; gearing limits top speed, however.

On diesel-electric locomotives the drive motors are on the axles. The axles are sprung on the trucks (bogies), so the motors are also sprung weight, I think. I assume that would be true of cars as well.

Interestingly, electric locomotive motors on axles are subject to shorting in flood waters. In years past steam locomotives had to pull them out. So don't go fording in your 'EV'.

Personally, I'd like to see the steam-powered (external combustion) car resurrected. The problem in the old days was getting them going. Maybe we could pre-heat the boiler with a battery!
Old 12-13-2022, 07:40 AM   #85
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Now please, can you get off your soapbox and return to the topic of EV's and towing.....exclusively. Take your views to some other venue, please.
Thank you. We're about one minute from closing the thread. And there are those that do not want to be suspended from posting from not following forum rules... honestly you don't. Be good.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 01:13 PM   #86

Trailer: WTB: E19
Wasteland of Wisconsin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Some brands of EV do fairly well in cold weather, but I can expect a 25% to 40% reduced range in the worst of frozen tundra wasteland Wisconsin Winter with a Chevy Bolt EUV.
@HABBERDABBER
Hmmm.....I always thought that the wasteland of Wisconsin was Beloit ...NOT ...Waunakee.

Either way, way up north in Stoddard WI this Ford F150 Lightning with a 95-110 mile towing range on an E19 isn't going to prove to be very useful. Even Karl at Escape states that it probably won't be a practical tow vehicle.
Old 12-13-2022, 01:37 PM   #87

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If anyone out there has absolute confidence and ability in predicting the future, they probably won’t be fooling around with fiberglass trailers and calculating gas milage or kilowatts per mile. They will be spending some time on the betting apps and saying “Henry, bring the Prevost around, I feel like a campfire and a bottle of Dom at the lake this evening. Oh and bring my fish pole and some crawlers.”

How about that Brock Purdy from my Alma Mater?
Iowa Dave
Old 12-13-2022, 01:40 PM   #88

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Let's keep this on track or the thread will be closed....
Old 12-13-2022, 02:07 PM   #89

Trailer: WTB: E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Let's keep this on track or the thread will be closed....
Jim...

Help is it going off the rails .....
Attached Thumbnails
off the.jpg  
Old 12-13-2022, 04:11 PM   #90

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Hey folks, came across several articles regarding Ford placing a patent on a new range extender for the FOrd F150 Lightning, see here:

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/sp...-150-lightning

Looks very similar to what BMW have on their I3 model except you'd be able to take this one off the truck when not needed, may be an answer??
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 04:14 PM   #91

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tipsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_19 View Post
Jim...

Help is it going off the rails .....
I have a strap in the back of the Highlander, I’ll be over shortly and set her back up.
You’re Welcome
Iowa Dave
Old 12-13-2022, 07:21 PM   #92

Trailer: 2012 E19
EVs need to stay off track... or do they? Tesla tricks...
https://twitter.com/seanmmitchell/st...61845434605573
Old 12-13-2022, 08:44 PM   #93
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
EVs need to stay off track... or do they? Tesla tricks...
https://twitter.com/seanmmitchell/st...61845434605573
Surprised the heck out of me! Was that a Tesla? Looked sorta generic. The locomotive had no markings; probably didn't want to upset a railroad. Were those NJ tags on the car?
Old 12-13-2022, 09:31 PM   #94

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Hey folks, came across several articles regarding Ford placing a patent on a new range extender for the FOrd F150 Lightning, see here:

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/sp...-150-lightning

Looks very similar to what BMW have on their I3 model except you'd be able to take this one off the truck when not needed, may be an answer??
I like it! Keeps you electric when that’s enough, and you can have extra range when needed. I’m sure it could be a fairly low power, efficient motor. Yeah, like the i3.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 10:24 PM   #95

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
I’m sure it could be a fairly low power, efficient motor. Yeah, like the i3.
The variant on a large scooter engine (from Kymco) in the i3 REx is low powered, but the car's fuel economy when using it is not very good. The serial hybrid configuration is difficult to do well.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 10:30 PM   #96

Quote:
Was that a Tesla? Looked sorta generic.
Yes, it is a Tesla Model S.
Old 12-13-2022, 10:42 PM   #97

Quote:
On diesel-electric locomotives the drive motors are on the axles. The axles are sprung on the trucks (bogies), so the motors are also sprung weight, I think. I assume that would be true of cars as well.
They are on the axles, which makes them unsprung (not supported by the springs). While electrically powered beam axles are available for trucks, and used by some battery-electric heavy trucks, they are not used on cars because cars don't have beam axles any more, and because the ride and handling would be unacceptably poor by today's standards. All electric cars have independent suspension for all driven wheels and none have the motors as unsprung weight.

Quote:
Interestingly, electric locomotive motors on axles are subject to shorting in flood waters. In years past steam locomotives had to pull them out. So don't go fording in your 'EV'.
Locomotives and cars operate in very different conditions, and the manufacturers understand that, so they are designed and constructed differently to suit those conditions. EV cars and trucks don't short out anything in the depth of water that a typical car can drive in.

Quote:
I'd like to see the steam-powered (external combustion) car resurrected. The problem in the old days was getting them going. Maybe we could pre-heat the boiler with a battery!
A steam engine would not be efficient enough for a modern vehicle.
Old 12-13-2022, 10:44 PM   #98

Quote:
Another problem could be vulnerability to dirt, dust, water, snow, and salt, which can be death to motors.
That doesn't really matter because EVs use sealed motors.
Old 12-13-2022, 10:47 PM   #99

Quote:
Correct for the transverse-engine Lexus (and Toyota) hybrid models (NX, RX)... but the engine drives the front wheels through a power-split hybrid transmission - even the front can be driven electrically.
Old 12-13-2022, 10:50 PM   #100

Quote:
Yes, there is one motor per axle, but they're in line with the axle shafts, not above the axles. Yes, each motor drives through a single-speed reduction gear set (and differential).