Karl with EV Ford Truck - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2022, 08:27 AM   #61

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Every bit helps.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-12-2022, 08:53 AM   #62

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I bet not too many people today have ever seen a 45 rpm record player....
Old 12-12-2022, 09:00 AM   #63
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I bet not too many people today have ever seen a 45 rpm record player....
I still play them on the radio:

https://hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com/
Old 12-12-2022, 09:06 AM   #64

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My beautiful roof is all metal. It likely will last as long as slate. Of course, if they drill holes in it to cover the roof with solar panels - well - that might be a game changer.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:26 AM   #65

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
It’s not solar powered, but I still spin vinyl all the time.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:44 AM   #66

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
No fooling, Tom
Here’s a screen shot of a year and a half of solar power generated by our system. The monthly readings are accurate for two years but the system had to be restarted in July 2021 so the CO2 and tree planting equivalents are for a year and a half. That first half of 2021 was very close to the first half of 2022 but not being shown on the CO2 and trees planted equivalents.

We are very happy with the solar setup. Full payback is just over 4 years away (4yrs. 2mos.). Our heat and cooling are geothermal and the electrical and propane savings gave us payback a couple years ago as we’ve had it for some time.

Reducing CO2 emissions with the solar is important to me. I’ve planted and had oversight for planting thousands of trees from Iowa to Idaho to Ohio over the past 55 years. I have been an Aldo Leopold disciple for that long too.

Have a great day.
Get out and breathe the best air you can find. Roll over a dead log in the woods and marvel at the life that’s either there or has left a track. Do the early Boy Scout requirement for observing ten signs of animal life. Remember, the skull is the last track an animal ever makes. Iowa. And contemplate how it all fits together.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... After all the pay backs... what'll you do with your "Free" time? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 09:47 AM   #67

Quote:
Every bit helps.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Do wah ditty ditty dom ditty do!!! Alf
Old 12-12-2022, 09:49 AM   #68

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
CO2 is plant food, not 'poison'. Patrick Moore said it better than I could:

https://www.thegwpf.org/content/uplo...10/Moore-2.pdf
Most people can't be bothered to read a lecture given by a PhD who really knows his subject. They prefer the spoon-feeding given by the nightly "news" programs; it's pre-chewed and easily digestible.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:54 AM   #69
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Most people can't be bothered to read a lecture given by a PhD who really knows his subject. They prefer the spoon-feeding given by the nightly "news" programs; it's pre-chewed and easily digestible.
Perhaps it's more they want bite size portions of many different topics rather than a hour long lecture about any one topic. Fortunately both are available if you wish to learn.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 09:56 AM   #70

Trailer: SOLD - 2022 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Very interesting. I just read a Motor Trend review of a 2021 model. Have they fixed the problem with uncertain braking the reviewer mentions?

Many Powerboost issues have been corrected in software. Mine has had updates to the transmission & towing brake controller, among others.

For those who have never used regenerative braking before, this trucks brakes feel strange. I've been driving it for 18 months now and the brakes feel normal to me now.

The hybrid "machine" (motor + generator) is nested between the engine and the gear assembly, so the electric drive is ahead of the gearbox. AFAIK most other hybrids have their motors at the wheels (my Mom's Lexus is like that). Adds a lot to the un-sprung weight of the car, unfortunately...
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:06 AM   #71

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Free time

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Iowa Dave... After all the pay backs... what'll you do with your "Free" time? Alf
This guy and I go fishing. He’s good company. But he’s been known to exceed the legal limit and he drinks a little more than he should at times Make that two legal limits so then I have to drive.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
B116D72F-DD87-41A0-A860-489186D66F77.jpg  
Old 12-12-2022, 10:12 AM   #72

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Quote:
Indeed (except for beer).

There is no empirical evidence that burning organic (hydrocarbon) fuels measurably affects global temperatures.
Huh?
I ain't touching that belief. It's all yours.
Do as you please, believe what you will.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 11:04 AM   #73

Quote:
This guy and I go fishing. He’s good company. But he’s been known to exceed the legal limit and he drinks a little more than he should at times Make that two legal limits so then I have to drive.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... I thought maybe "Fly fishing?
I find all this "Electric vehicle" talk shocking!!! Alf
Old 12-12-2022, 01:35 PM   #74

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
For those who chose to be all in on the we are all doomed chickin little propaganda, I’m pretty sure for most believers it’s now their new religion. The media does a pretty good job of getting these particular believers all worked up on about anything they feel like throwing out there. All of the sudden it’s a cause, where not long ago most never gave it a thought.
Me, not being much of a religious person, I’ve been told by some, who they themselves haven’t even read the book (which I have) how I just don’t understand and need to educate myself on the matter.
Sound familiar…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 02:54 PM   #75

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal K View Post
If stuck in a traffic jam at 14F outside and only having 50% remaining capacity and neglecting cabin heating already part of winter range loss and neglecting that it uses a heat pump for heating, the car’s battery could still run a 1000W resistive heater for over 21 hrs.
That is interesting empirical data, and better than I had assumed. So maybe EVs are good for cold climates after all.

On the other hand, a hot climate can degrade some EV batteries, particularly those that are air-cooled. I looked into buying a used Nissan Leaf at one point but changed my mind when I discovered that its air-cooled battery degrades in the Florida heat. No wonder the used ones were so cheap. The last time I checked Hyundai won't sell its electric Kona down here, presumably for the same reason.

If I buy an EV in the future, it will probably be a used Toyota, depending on how their new EV model pans out.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 03:19 PM   #76

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
It's complicated

Some brands of EV do fairly well in cold weather, but I can expect a 25% to 40% reduced range in the worst of frozen tundra wasteland Wisconsin Winter with a Chevy Bolt EUV. At freezing temps, it's around 25% from what I see now, for me.

I can preheat (or cool) the vehicle cabin and battery either plugged in or stand alone with my key fob and the parameters set last time of use or on the dash screen. The Bolt has liquid cooling for the battery. Batteries get warm/hot when discharged, and that can degrade their life and performance.

Yes, I've heard that about the Leaf. They were one of the first to offer a low cost, mass market EV. Hopefully, they'll live and learn.

50 years ago yesterday the last human walked on the moon. We've come a long way since then, and have a long way to go, EV's included.

Some EV's have heat pumps for heating and cooling assistance. A 1,000 pounds load of lithium batteries, 60 KWA capacity, will run a heater a very, very long time. The Bolt heats and cools
occupant seats, as well as the steering wheel, for winter use, so you don't have to heat the whole interior, which it can also do
I say it is a computer on 4 wheels.
And we all know how computers behave. I have my fingers (digital digits) crossed. Knock on silicon.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 03:41 PM   #77
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
The hybrid "machine" (motor + generator) is nested between the engine and the gear assembly, so the electric drive is ahead of the gearbox. AFAIK most other hybrids have their motors at the wheels (my Mom's Lexus is like that). Adds a lot to the un-sprung weight of the car, unfortunately...
"Motors at the wheels" sounds interesting, but I don't see it JeffreyG's four categories. A fifth type?
Old 12-12-2022, 03:49 PM   #78

Trailer: Escape
JefferyG, thank you for your knowledgeable and clearly explained comments on this subject.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 04:00 PM   #79

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
A propane heater --sure works good when the snowflakes fall.
Attached Thumbnails
propane1.jpg  
Old 12-12-2022, 04:51 PM   #80

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
"Motors at the wheels" sounds interesting, but I don't see it JeffreyG's four categories. A fifth type?
I'm not aware of any hybrids with wheel end motors, they would effectively be P4. I have seen at least one EV concept with wheel end motors.

I guess there could be some ways that wheel end motors would be great, but there is one way in particular that they would not be good, and that is in keeping unsprung weight reasonable. Having a large amount of weight in a vehicle that is not carried by the springs (typically wheels, tires, brakes, steering knuckle......stuff like that) is bad. It makes for bad handling, bad ride.....it's undesireable.

And motors in the wheels makes for a lot of unsprung weight.

Also, one other problem is that putting the motors in the wheel ends is a more difficult design challenge for the drive units.The main issue is vibration and shock loading, the life of components riding on the (relatively) supple springs is a lot easier than the life of power electronics that have nothing but the tire between them and the road.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote