What did you do for your Escape today..... - Page 72 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2021, 08:39 PM   #1421

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Bought its first set of replacement 6v batteries! New tires last week.

Very odd, I got really lucky!! Happened to "find" 4 tires at a tire shop. All the others said, fuhgedaboudit!

Re batteries, Interstate distrib said I'd have to settle for used 6v golf cart batteries. The OEM ones have been back ordered sev months.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:49 PM   #1422

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Put up the future winter quarters for the Escape today. Took the crew about 4 hours to set this up.
We did a test fit and the trailer fits with room to spare. Now I should be able to tackle some trailer projects this winter even if the snow gets deep.
Attached Thumbnails
carport3.jpg  
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:38 AM   #1423

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaweb View Post
Put up the future winter quarters for the Escape today. Took the crew about 4 hours to set this up.
We did a test fit and the trailer fits with room to spare. Now I should be able to tackle some trailer projects this winter even if the snow gets deep.
Sweet, wish I had one.......
Old 09-23-2021, 11:16 AM   #1424
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Sweet, wish I had one.......
Me, too....... Very nice! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:09 PM   #1425
Bea

We store our 21C with a cover. Works ok, but I secretly admire all the permanent 'winter quarters' folks have here. Ya'll are blessed!

Our first cover ripped from our sharp solar panel corners. So with the next new cover, we wrapped each corner with a towel before covering. Easier said than done and always worried about the towels unwrapping. So after washing and waxing it this past Sunday, I saw some left over reflectix in our garage and thought, Ah ha! Then grabbed some scissors and velcro, cut out 4 pieces, velcroed together underneath and voila, new corner protectors. Hope they work! -Bea
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0483.jpg  
Old 09-23-2021, 06:49 PM   #1426

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaweb View Post
What is the size?

We want one for our upcoming, not yet built, 21C.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:40 PM   #1427

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
What is the size?

We want one for our upcoming, not yet built, 21C.
It is 18'x24' with 9' sidewalls.
More than enough room for the Escape but we have some other uses planned for it besides just storing the trailer.
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:00 PM   #1428

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
We store our 21C with a cover. Works ok, but I secretly admire all the permanent 'winter quarters' folks have here. Ya'll are blessed!

Our first cover ripped from our sharp solar panel corners. So with the next new cover, we wrapped each corner with a towel before covering. Easier said than done and always worried about the towels unwrapping. So after washing and waxing it this past Sunday, I saw some left over reflectix in our garage and thought, Ah ha! Then grabbed some scissors and velcro, cut out 4 pieces, velcroed together underneath and voila, new corner protectors. Hope they work! -Bea
We saw somewhere that people use pool noodles. Have you tried that? We just got our cover today and are thinking about trying them.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:26 AM   #1429
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
We saw somewhere that people use pool noodles. Have you tried that? We just got our cover today and are thinking about trying them.
Yup! Tried pool noodles and pipe insulation. They seem to work well for many here, but for me, after the 3rd or 4th application they expanded and wouldn't stay on, so I stopped using them but if that's what you got, go for it. Might work well for you and anything is better than nothing...to protect those expensive covers, IMHO. Again, congrats on your new Escape! Cheers, - Bea
Old 09-25-2021, 06:34 PM   #1430

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
New Axle

The inside edge of my driver's side rear tire wore out quite quickly. By the end of the first summer it was toast. By the time I'd made a circuit of BC this summer tire #2 was doing the same thing.

Why there was an obvious problem is undetermined. It could have been a manufacturing fault or it could have been me bashing over rough roads. At any rate, thanks to Dexter's generous warranty and a little help from Dustin I ended up with a shiny new axle.

My wife was horrified at the thought of me placing a very heavy object in position overhead and my physiotherapist would probably break my arm if she found out about it. But what the heck, I like doing things for myself.

At times in the past the just getting it done sort of overshadowed minor safety considerations etc. but in this situation I adopted the Work Smart, Work Safe motto.

Just jacking up the axle is problematic because the trailing arms and brake drums would result in the axle tilting backwards. This would require some arm wrestling trying to get the mounting plates horizontal. So I made a bracket that allowed my to put the jack aft of the axle so that the mounting plates were perfectly horizontal. My wife relaxed a bit when I showed her that I could tilt and swivel the axle with one finger.

With the front wheels on blocks and the tongue lowered there's lot's of room to work. Pretty easy install, 4 bolts and the trailer brake wires.

Since the front tires were in perfect condition I made the assumption that the front alignment was pretty good and all I had to do is make sure that the hub distances on each side were the same. The mounting plate on the trailer frame is slotted and allows for that adjustment.

I did check the old axle and it does indicate that it's toed out. I'll remove the brakes etc. and junk it.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
29-08-2021 1-00-44 PM_0002_resize.jpg   21-09-2021 11-50-53 AM_0014_resize.jpg   20-09-2021 5-40-20 PM_0011_resize.jpg   21-09-2021 11-25-14 AM_0013_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:46 PM   #1431

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The inside edge of my driver's side rear tire wore out quite quickly. By the end of the first summer it was toast. By the time I'd made a circuit of BC this summer tire #2 was doing the same thing.

Why there was an obvious problem is undetermined. It could have been a manufacturing fault or it could have been me bashing over rough roads. At any rate, thanks to Dexter's generous warranty and a little help from Dustin I ended up with a shiny new axle.

My wife was horrified at the thought of me placing a very heavy object in position overhead and my physiotherapist would probably break my arm if she found out about it. But what the heck, I like doing things for myself.

At times in the past the just getting it done sort of overshadowed minor safety considerations etc. but in this situation I adopted the Work Smart, Work Safe motto.

Just jacking up the axle is problematic because the trailing arms and brake drums would result in the axle tilting backwards. This would require some arm wrestling trying to get the mounting plates horizontal. So I made a bracket that allowed my to put the jack aft of the axle so that the mounting plates were perfectly horizontal. My wife relaxed a bit when I showed her that I could tilt and swivel the axle with one finger.

With the front wheels on blocks and the tongue lowered there's lot's of room to work. Pretty easy install, 4 bolts and the trailer brake wires.

Since the front tires were in perfect condition I made the assumption that the front alignment was pretty good and all I had to do is make sure that the hub distances on each side were the same. The mounting plate on the trailer frame is slotted and allows for that adjustment.

I did check the old axle and it does indicate that it's toed out. I'll remove the brakes etc. and junk it.

Ron
Nice work Ron. That bracket was a great idea to make the job both safer and easier. Hope the new axle gives you many trouble free miles.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:02 PM   #1432

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Good work, Ron. The missus may think you are overdoing it, but I would expect it, trusting you would do a good job.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:03 PM   #1433

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
Installed new cast stainless steel door hinges on our 15A. For no more miles on this thing the original hinges were...shot!

Had to get a little creative with mounting the new hinges...but it all worked out. Pictures at 11

And, figured up what I need to add internal overhead cabinet LED lighting and switches...

To be continued
Old 09-27-2021, 12:31 AM   #1434

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Inverter wiring

Began my inverter project
Attached Thumbnails
7C0498CD-9401-4ADD-A95F-CEA8E5648C79.jpg  
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:11 AM   #1435

Just a thought here, perhaps it is a generation gap or something else but I fail to see the need to have an inverter to convert 12v to 120v. If planned in advance most things can be found to operate off 12V......so you are either hooked up to a pedestal for 120v or operating off battery power like you were in the tent days......I understand there are medical devices that need one or the other, but otherwise? Maybe I need more coffee......
Old 09-27-2021, 08:23 AM   #1436

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just a thought here, perhaps it is a generation gap or something else but I fail to see the need to have an inverter to convert 12v to 120v. If planned in advance most things can be found to operate off 12V......so you are either hooked up to a pedestal for 120v or operating off battery power like you were in the tent days......I understand there are medical devices that need one or the other, but otherwise? Maybe I need more coffee......
Mostly to use appliances while on long day drives. Microwave in particular. Plus the design work and installation satisfies my tech interest. Camera chargers off grid as well as computer chargers etc. but everyone has different needs and I’d rather not use a generator to generate110 for short off grid. Choice is good thing and I regretted not getting the inverter for a while.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:32 AM   #1437

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Mostly to use appliances while on long day drives. Microwave in particular. Plus the design work and installation satisfies my tech interest. Camera chargers off grid as well as computer chargers etc. but everyone has different needs and I’d rather not use a generator to generate110 for short off grid. Choice is good thing and I regretted not getting the inverter for a while.
So other than microwave, everything is on 12V, which I understand....we do not get a microwave in the Escape and use at home is sparse.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:27 AM   #1438

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Choice is good thing and I regretted not getting the inverter for a while.
This is the bottom line. Though not for everyone you're far from alone in finding benefit from having an inverter, as we all know there's many posts here about folks enjoying the use of a variety of 120VAC appliances on 'silent' battery power.

Congrats on making your Escape 'built for you' with the mod!

Have Fun!
Old 09-27-2021, 11:05 AM   #1439

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
This is the bottom line. Though not for everyone you're far from alone in finding benefit from having an inverter, as we all know there's many posts here about folks enjoying the use of a variety of 120VAC appliances on 'silent' battery power.

Congrats on making your Escape 'built for you' with the mod!

Have Fun!
This!

Sidebar: I don't get the attitude, condemnation, judgement, negativity...by certain folks within the forums, this one included, related to equipment, accessories and/or ideas they don't subscribe to or believe in...that others find valuable.

Its as if they're in the game of selling their rigid viewpoints. Very strange.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:28 AM   #1440

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstreight View Post
This!

Sidebar: I don't get the attitude, condemnation, judgement, negativity...by certain folks within the forums, this one included, related to equipment, accessories and/or ideas they don't subscribe to or believe in...that others find valuable.

Its as if they're in the game of selling their rigid viewpoints. Very strange.
I felt no hostility from Jim just his opinion on microwave and inverter use. He didn’t call me any names just expressed his viewpoint. My needs are different and in fact the install will be successful for all the help I’ve gotten from others on the forum . Many times help from Jim himself on other issues.

Opinions are fine attacks are not