oak matching? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2021, 05:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
oak matching?

We recently changed out our propane detector for a better replacement but it is a different size. I now have a hole directly under our new propane detector that is about 3" wide and 2 to 3" long. I would like to find a 4" repair tape that would cover the hole and match the oak cabinets. What has anyone found that would work for me. I did get one from Amazon but it was way too red for our cabinets.
Thanks for some assistance, much appreciated.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:22 PM   #2
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
We recently changed out our propane detector for a better replacement but it is a different size. I now have a hole directly under our new propane detector that is about 3" wide and 2 to 3" long. I would like to find a 4" repair tape that would cover the hole and match the oak cabinets. What has anyone found that would work for me. I did get one from Amazon but it was way too red for our cabinets.
Thanks for some assistance, much appreciated.
We also changed out our propane detector, the old one kept giving false alarms constantly. Ugh. New one is great - no false alarms (knock on wood). To fix our hole, we got a roll of perfectly matching oak tape through Escape. Dustin in parts asked how much we wanted so we ordered some and he mailed it to us. Hope this works for you! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Maybe you could install a nice led floor light over the hole as the power is right there.
Attached Thumbnails
B085115A-8EA4-44E0-B38E-61367221D9C9.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:44 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply's, we will try Dustin.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:14 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 21
Any recommendations for a replacement propane detector? Mine is giving false positives all the time to.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorbudd View Post
Any recommendations for a replacement propane detector? Mine is giving false positives all the time to.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tor-18570.html
Old 07-04-2021, 12:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If you have a 21C (with internal batteries) particularly if it has solar, check the seal on the battery box before you replace the propane detector. Leaking hydrogen gas due to high charging rates that often occur when the solar controller tops off the batteries can set off the detector.
Old 07-04-2021, 03:29 PM   #8
Bea

We replaced our Propane Detector with this one a few months ago:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As Jon points out, sometimes the batteries can can emit some vapor/gas - but we knew it wasn't that since our old LP detector went off randomly even with fully charged batteries (w/good water levels) and our propane bottles were turned off in our side yard. Tried vacuuming it a lot, too, but nope - still random false alarms. (Sorry neighbors!!) Our new detector has been rock solid... so far, so good. -Bea
Old 07-04-2021, 04:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My trailer came with a Safe-T-Alert propane detector in 2008, which has been replaced since with another. It's a different model than what you show. What I wonder is what detector and model have people had issues with? Nobody ever specifies. What was yours?
Old 07-05-2021, 07:38 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If you have a 21C (with internal batteries) particularly if it has solar, check the seal on the battery box before you replace the propane detector. Leaking hydrogen gas due to high charging rates that often occur when the solar controller tops off the batteries can set off the detector.
As a 21 owner, who purchased a couple of propane detectors before I figured out it was the batteries, I agree with Jon. I hope that Escape is now putting the propane detector in a different location rather than right next to the batteries
Old 07-05-2021, 01:49 PM   #11
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My trailer came with a Safe-T-Alert propane detector in 2008, which has been replaced since with another. It's a different model than what you show. What I wonder is what detector and model have people had issues with? Nobody ever specifies. What was yours?
Our old one was an Atwood and used to look like this https://highskyrvparts.com/new-airst...itor-512539-01. Not sure if this was the exact model but when we looked for an exact replacement we could not find it since it had been discontinued. The Safe-T-Alert we bought was the closest in size we could find with good reviews.

Originally, when we were finalizing our build sheet in Chilliwack, the LP detector was located on the 45* side of the 21c bed in the showroom. We asked if a 110 outlet and a 12V outlet could be installed right above or below the LP detector. They agreed to the 2 outlets there but would probably then move the LP detector to somewhere else. We were good with that. I actually like that they relocated it to under the fridge because it's further away from the bathroom where the occasional hair spray or other products might set it off and it's closer to the stove/oven - the most likely place for a LP leak. -Bea
Old 07-05-2021, 03:34 PM   #12

I was in a bit of a rush, bought the second best one CW carried, in the $90 range.
Has worked well, even in the 116 degree weather we found in Phoenix and Cottonwood a week ago.
Old 07-05-2021, 03:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I was in a bit of a rush, bought the second best one CW carried, in the $90 range.
Which was?
Old 07-05-2021, 03:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
I bought and installed the Safe T Alert 20-441-P-BL Mini Propane/LP Gas Alarm - 12V, 20 Series, Black a couple months ago after a false alarm freaked us out and on the recommendation of the brand by others in this forum.

It's similar in size to the original, located under the refrigerator of my 21C. It would have stuck out quite a bit more and possibly be bumped getting in and out from the table, so I rigged up a partially recessed mounting.

It was good fit, but I still need to fill in a bit of gap below it. I bought some oak trim to frame it, but haven't put it on yet. It undoubtedly won't match, but I never thought to contact Escape for materials.
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 05:05 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernwig View Post
I bought and installed the Safe T Alert 20-441-P-BL Mini Propane/LP Gas Alarm - 12V, 20 Series, Black a couple months ago after a false alarm freaked us out and on the recommendation of the brand by others in this forum.

It's similar in size to the original, located under the refrigerator of my 21C. It would have stuck out quite a bit more and possibly be bumped getting in and out from the table, so I rigged up a partially recessed mounting.

It was good fit, but I still need to fill in a bit of gap below it. I bought some oak trim to frame it, but haven't put it on yet. It undoubtedly won't match, but I never thought to contact Escape for materials.
I have always asked for and received a spare piece of oak paneling for my trailers, I think I have 2 or 3 now..........
Old 07-06-2021, 11:53 PM   #16

CW propane detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Which was?

https://www.campingworld.com/safe-t-...fety%2Falarms2
Old 07-07-2021, 12:58 AM   #17

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
HarleyD, please verify that link, when I click I get a CO-only detector/alarm, not a propane (or propane+CO) detector/alarm.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
HarleyD, please verify that link, when I click I get a CO-only detector/alarm, not a propane (or propane+CO) detector/alarm.
Sorry, my bad!
Picked the wrong one from the array of alarms.
CW is my last choice of suppliers.

https://www.campingworld.com/safe-t-...fety%2Falarms2