Is 650 lb Tongue Weight for 21C Too Much? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2023, 09:23 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
My 2013 Expedition shocks are the originals (mileage only 89k as of now); mechanic says they show no sign of leaking or other problems. I do think of replacing them. Then, I'm running my General Grabbers at 40 psi, about 5 over the recommended on the tires, and that doubtless makes the ride harder.

The Expy has a 6-speed auto transmission; it's heavier than the comparable F-150 (cargo limit only 1,475), but with only two of us, we can carry a fair amount of gear. And of course with seats up, it'll hold 8.

The E2 WDH really eliminates any sway. Re what Dave says about 'porpoising', I'll have to look more closely at how long we get any bouncing after the initial jolt when we hit a bump. I may be magnifying the problem, if any.
6 speed is a lot nicer than the original 4 speed. Of course it was 9 years newer and lots of improvements in that drive train that got a lot of criticism. Of course many people neglected oil changers which was a deadly mistake for that engine. I sold mine at 90,000 and the engine sounded like it did when I bought it at 37,000. Oil changed ever 3 to 5000. Even with shorter payload, the tongue weight is not much of an issue. One thing I did learn about trailer tires is they have different load ratings for the psi. My endurances have a load rating from 35 psi to 80. Pick the load of your trailer weight from the load table and run the psi at that and the ride will not be as bouncy. My trailer is significantly heavier than yours and I’ll running at 55 lbs versus the max which is 80. It may make a difference. Consult the load tables for your tires you may be surprised, I was
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote